Firearms Importation Ban Extended for the Seventh Time

The Ministry of Security has extended the six-month Firearms Importation Ban for the seventh time, which makes four years in total (so far).

One of the statistics that's often publicized by MINSEG as an indicator of improved security, is the number of illegal weapons that are being removed from the streets, so I wouldn't hold my breath for a change of policy any time soon.

In 2017 to date, 1409 illegal firearms have been seized and are destined for destruction.

image.png.6978be4243ba069752e72af39329d6f3.png

http://www.telemetro.com/nacionales/Minseg-extiende-septima-ocasion-importacion_0_1089791333.html

Edited by Keith Woolford

• 3 months later...

10 years in Prison for the Crime of Unlawful Possession of a Firearm

Wednesday 28 March 2018 ,

Ten years in prison, by virtue of a sentencing agreement., for the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm, was reached by the prosecutor Circuit Elisa Arosemena, in the Litigation Section of the Metropolitan Area, and the validation of the agreement before the Judge of Guarantees.

In addition, an accessory penalty will be imposed a ban on carrying firearms, for five years, once the main sentence is fulfilled

In a multiple hearing the Public Prosecutor obtained before the judge, the legalization of apprehension and the formulation of imputation.

How elements of conviction on the part of the Public Ministry, with the diligence of registration and search warrant, held on 23 March 2018, by the Prosecutor's Office of Primary Care, 8th Subregional of Tocumen and 24 of December, where they were found buried in the courtyard of the residence of the convicted person, two firearms, 9mm pistol, with their respective chargers and 20 ammunition.

http://ministeriopublico.gob.pa/10-anos-de-prision-por-el-delito-de-posesion-ilicita-de-arma-de-fuego/

17 minutes ago, Keith Woolford said:

Ten years in prison

Over the years I've met a number of Gringos here who  don't agree with the concept of gun control and boast about their unregistered firearms.

Obviously not advisable to get caught.

Edited by Keith Woolford

33 minutes ago, Keith Woolford said:

Over the years I've met a number of Gringos here who  don't agree with the concept of gun control and boast about their unregistered firearms.

Obviously not advisable to get caught.

Yes, I've met quite a few too.  I'm glad I played it safe.  I missed the importation cutoff in 2013 by one month.

• 1 year later...