What is the best restaurant in David for breakfast?

That's a tuff one!

Heard Nuevo Futuro is good for Dim Sum. Ate breakfast buffet at Hotel Nacional. It was terrible! They do a very good lunch buffet though. Heard that Restaurant Stylo, Java Juice, and Multi Cafe are decent. Have not been to either of them. Decent reviews on Trip Advisor:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/Restaurants-g298430-David_Chiriqui_Province.html

Let us know what you find!

3 hours ago, TwoSailors said:

That's a tuff one!

Heard Nuevo Futuro is good for Dim Sum. Ate breakfast buffet at Hotel Nacional. It was terrible! They do a very good lunch buffet though. Heard that Restaurant Stylo, Java Juice, and Multi Cafe are decent. Have not been to either of them. Decent reviews on Trip Advisor:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/Restaurants-g298430-David_Chiriqui_Province.html

Let us know what you find!

Hotel Nacional used to be good, but now it is just so bad ?

Hotel Ciudad de David is good.

No chance in hell I'm eating at McD's. Id rather eat a pbj at home.

Edited by Jim and Judi
  • Downvote 1

I hope the reason for the original question of naming the best restaurant for breakfast was not a platform for all the negative posts and trying to cause trouble for various eateries.

Perhaps a “pbj at home” is the best idea.

26 minutes ago, Pat said:

hope the reason for the original question of naming the best restaurant for breakfast was not a platform for all the negative posts and trying to cause trouble for various eateries.

Pat,

These are NOT negative post replies. Simply a matter of actual experience. And the post is NOT about naming the best restaurant.  Penny is simply looking for suggestions for a decent breakfast place in David. Which a lot of us here on  CL would appreciate knowing. As for Mcdonalds, I worked in that industry for many years. I would not put any fast food product into my body.

From Jim and Judi: 

No chance in hell I'm eating at McD's. Id rather  eat a pbj at home.

TOTALLY agree!!

From Brundageba   Multi Cafe.   Not cheap but complete and good. Two of them close to the center of David

I believe this is the kind of info that Penny would appreciate.

The problems I have with the Multicafe locations is that they are both downtown. If my tasks are going to be close to the Pan American highway or Calle F Sur they’re out of the way. 

At this point, after the (mostly self-inflicted) abuse my body’s taken over the years, I don’t think the occasional Egg McMuffin is going to kill me.

Edited by Keith Woolford

Keith's reference to "downtown" David made me curious.  I pride myself with successfully navigating David about 80% of the time after studying Google's online maps.  I was curious to see what if any definition of "downtown" was specified in Google maps.  Entering "downtown david panama" in Google maps results in the outline of the entire city limits.  It also displayed a photo of a new shopping mall anchored by Cochez and Romero with a map showing its location in south west David.

Has anyone visited this new mall?  Are there any stores there that aren't present in any other malls?

david city limits.png

New Cochez Romero David Mall.png

New Cochez Romero David Mall Map.png

I was leaning towards Hotel Nacional to treat my two kids after I pick them up from the early flight into David. Now, I'm not so sure. May just swing into La Tipica on Calle F Sur but that seems to be better for lunch and dinner than for breakfast. I guess we may go to Hotel David and try out their breakfast menu.

Personally, I'm a Mickey D's kind of person, but ex-vegetarian kids from San Francisco probably wouldn't like that.

There's a good little open air restaurant just south of Dolega where the old road merges with the new road. Wonderful hohadres (spelling???)

Maybe we'll eat there. Also, the place in the Dolegita Super Baru building is pretty good for breakfast.

If they can hold off we'll go to Olga's in Boquete (the one behind Todo a dollar, not the one in Alto)

It also displayed a photo of a new shopping mall anchored by Cochez and Romero with a map showing its location in south west David.

That centro comercial is on the road to Playa Barquete and Alanje in an area called La Riviera.

By 'downtown' I mean the area within a few blocks of the central park. (Parque Miguel de Cervantes Saveeda)

Edited by Keith Woolford

8 hours ago, Penny said:

I was leaning towards Hotel Nacional to treat my two kids 

Take my word for it Penny, Nacional's breakfast is really awful. And if the food didn't make it bad enough, the fact that they don't refill when it runs low makes it even worse. 

We ate at Ciudad de David a couple of weeks ago and it was really good. Not cheap, but good. And it's buffet, so no waiting.

Also, Olga's at Alto is good, and so CHEAP. Yummy hojaldres too

Edited by Jim and Judi

6 minutes ago, BD said:

I like “...good and so CHEAP...”, but have no idea where/who “Olga’s at Alto” is. Please clarify.

In the same strip mall with Dorado's market and fereteria. Right at the end. Great place for breakfast or lunch. One of the gals speaks perfect English, if you need.

On 12/5/2017 at 8:08 PM, Penny said:

Exactly -- Olga's in el Alto is in the El Dorado strip mall at the end. Olga's in Bajo Boquete is actually named Punto del Encuentro but everybody calls it Olga's. Olga gives free hugs to all her customers.

I believe it’s called the Alto Dorado strip mall.

• Upvote 1

Well, inquiring minds, here's the answer. Following a recommendation by my friend Joyce who used to live in David we went to Mezcla Gourmet for a wonderful breakfast. I knew this place was great for lunch (super hamburgers) but didn't realize they were also open for breakfast. Had an omelet and the biggest hoholdre (spelling?) I've ever seen. It was great. Mezcla Gourmet is on the old David-Boquete road, on the left side when going to Boquete. Past the mosque and diagonal to the used car lot.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Penny said:

Well, inquiring minds, here's the answer. Following a recommendation by my friend Joyce who used to live in David we went to Mezcla Gourmet for a wonderful breakfast. I knew this place was great for lunch (super hamburgers) but didn't realize they were also open for breakfast. 

I didn't know Mezcla had breakfast either. Great news because we enjoy them for lunch!

• Upvote 1