• Moderators

Tender: $62 million for Driver's Licenses

A tender is being launched in Panama for a service to issue driver's licenses and vehicle ownership cards, as well as issuance of cards for weights and dimensions, for a term of 10 years.

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

"Services related to the issuance of driver's licenses (LC by its initials in Spanish) will be contracted throughout the Republic, including public attention, administration, operation and maintenance of the entire service

In addition, the service of issuance of the vehicle ownership cards (TPV by its initials in Spanish) and the issuance of the Card for Weights and Dimensions (TPD in Spanish).

The aforementioned three services must be provided to the ATTT for a period of ten (10) years, and must be based on a computer application that supports all of the processes associated with the issuance of these documents, framed within the operation of the ATTT and in accordance with current regulations.

The proponent must provide the service of issuance of License and services of road education to people, through branches nationwide in the capital cities of the provinces of the country or where the ATTT designates. 
A) Panama City (4 agencies)
B) Bocas del Toro 
C) Coclé 
D) Colon 
E) Chiriquí 
F) Darien 
G) Herrera 
H) Loa Santos 
I) West Panama 
J) Veraguas 
K) Mobile Unit - (The road education service does not apply to the Mobile Unit)

The licensing service also includes applying a practical test to license applicants for the first time, and when so determined by the ATTT, to establish the level of skill of the applicant when driving a motor vehicle.  These tests should also be applied on site, using driving simulators in the case of the Provinces of Panama, West Panama and Chiriquí, optionally central provinces.   

Branches that do not have simulators, must have an external physical space where practical driving tests for all types of vehicles will be carried out. The necessary physical space should not be less than 400 square meters, having the capacity for heavy equipment and truck heads.  They must have cones for the parking tests and signs for the circulation of the customers who are taking the test. Equally they must have a perimetral fence for security of the participants."

Reference value: $62.309.664

The deadline for receipt of bids is 19 September 2017.

See Tender

http://www.centralamericadata.com/en/article/main/Tender_62_million_for_Drivers_Licenses

I can't remember exactly what information the card contained, but I seem to recall that a lot of it was time sensitive. I therefore never could understand how the card could replace current documentation. It was touted as a way to roll all your information into one, thus relieving a driver of dragging out titles, insurance documents, etc. when requested at checkpoints. Am I remembering correctly, Keith? If not, what purpose does the card serve?

2 minutes ago, Bonnie said:

I can't remember exactly what information the card contained, but I seem to recall that a lot of it was time sensitive. I therefore never could understand how the card could replace current documentation. It was touted as a way to roll all your information into one, thus relieving a driver of dragging out titles, insurance documents, etc. when requested at checkpoints. Am I remembering correctly, Keith? If not, what purpose does the card serve?

Pretty much as you describe, Bonnie.

The idea was that a new TPV card would be issued every year about three months after the vehicle goes for it's annual Revisado inspection.

Whether that's still happening or not, I'm not sure, but I'll check next time I'm at Mall Chiriqui.

6 minutes ago, Keith Woolford said:

Pretty much as you describe, Bonnie.

The idea was that a new TPV card would be issued every year about three months after the vehicle goes for it's annual Revisado inspection.

Whether that's still happening or not, I'm not sure, but I'll check next time I'm at Mall Chiriqui.

I wasn't aware that it had to be renewed annually. Even then, though, insurance could lapse for failure to pay, but the card would indicate that the vehicle was insured. I believe this was what puzzled me. I didn't realize the program was still around.

• 3 months later...

Keith, did you ever check into this? I was reminded of it when I went to the Sertracen website to find out their hours and saw that these vehicle identification cards are still said to be required.

La Tarjeta de Propiedad Vehicular (TPV) es un documento oficial emitido por la Autoridad del Tránsito y Transporte Terrestre de Panamá y el Registro Único Vehicular Motorizado que certifica la propiedad  de un vehículo legalmente autorizado para circular en Panamá.

Dicha tarjeta de acuerdo al Reglamento de Transito vigente en Panamá debe portarse en el vehículo y debe presentarse a la policía de tránsito o inspectores de la ATTT cuando es solicitada.

Esta tarjeta contiene la fotografía del automóvil y sus principales características como los son el número de  motor, chasis y otros más.

Esta tarjeta se emite automáticamente al ser inscrito el vehículo  o al ser traspasado de propietario.

Edited by Bonnie

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Driver's License Tender Declared Void

In Panama, none of the three participating companies met the requirements established in the $62 million tender to issue driver's licenses.

Thursday, February 1, 201

On January 23, the process to provide the service for the issuance of driver's licenses and vehicle ownership cards, as well as the issuance of cards for weights and dimensions, for a period of 10 years, was declared void. 

The offers ranged between $65 million and $71 million, but all three were discarded for failing to comply with part of the requirements established in the request for proposals.

Details of the offers:

Sonda S.A.: $71.2 million.
GSI International Inc .: $67.1 million
Grupo Sinergia Colombia SAS: $64.9 million.

See details of the tender.

https://www.centralamericadata.com/en/article/main/Drivers_License_Tender_Declared_Void

I don't understand what's going on here. Was Sertracen one of the bidders? Might it be replaced--resulting in mass confusion and major bureaucratic upheaval in this vital function? I hate going to Sertracen, but I have to admit that they appear to be on top of the driver's license procedure.

One of the three bidders was GSI, a sister company of Sertracen, both owned by the same parent outfit. I assume, and hope, that there will be a new tender for the contract. Corruption lurks in these matters more or less frequently, so who knows? Perhaps the anti-corruption campaign had something to do with the outcome.