I really, as in REALLY hate to keep harping on this, but driving skills are woefully inadequate in this area. Just this morning while running errands around town, we had two -- yes 2 -- near accidents. One was an older blue SUV that clearly was not honoring a stop sign. We got within a few inches of metal on metal. It would have been what is called T-bone hit on our right side. Frightening, to say the least. Our impression of the young female at the wheel was that she was not paying attention to anything.

And the second near accident was even more scary. We were returning home from Plaza San Francisco when a big 18 wheeler was trying to enter the highway with a left turn from the Alto Dorado area. The driver just gunned it, apparently not checking for any traffic on the main roadway coming from his right. That easily could have been a fatal accident for us (and Anouk who was in the back of our vehicle).

Is there someplace where I can send my dashcam recordings to get these ill-trained people sanctioned, licenses cancelled, or ???

Am I the only one who is having these experiences with recent Boquete driving habits?

No Bud your not the only one! It's worse in David and particularly the Boquete/David Hwy. Every single time we travel it a vehicle drives past at an outrageous rate of speed.

Very easy to solve all this.

Hit them in their wallet with big fines with a point system, increase of insurance premiums,  mandatory driver education, and suspended drivers license.

21 minutes ago, Bud said:

Is there someplace where I can send my dashcam recordings to get these ill-trained people sanctioned, licenses cancelled, or ???

You can become a Citizen Inspector and report some infractions.

https://twitter.com/ATTTPanama/status/906895298399784960

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Wow, Keith, you are a fountain of knowledge. I plan to pursue this.

One thing I do not see in my first look through of the web information is the matter of parking in handicapped blue spaces without the placard. Did I overlook that?

Edited by Bud
spelling

On 9/11/2017 at 11:11 AM, Bud said:

I really, as in REALLY hate to keep harping on this, but driving skills are woefully inadequate in this area. Just this morning while running errands around town, we had two -- yes 2 -- near accidents. One was an older blue SUV that clearly was not honoring a stop sign. We got within a few inches of metal on metal. It would have been what is called T-bone hit on our right side. Frightening, to say the least. Our impression of the young female at the wheel was that she was not paying attention to anything.

And the second near accident was even more scary. We were returning home from Plaza San Francisco when a big 18 wheeler was trying to enter the highway with a left turn from the Alto Dorado area. The driver just gunned it, apparently not checking for any traffic on the main roadway coming from his right. That easily could have been a fatal accident for us (and Anouk who was in the back of our vehicle).

Am I the only one who is having these experiences with recent Boquete driving habits?

The only thing that works here is VERY defensive driving.  I lived in India for a year.  Panama drivers are a piece of cake. No comparison, and no herds of cows and goats in the street either.

On 9/11/2017 at 0:54 PM, Bud said:

Wow, Keith, you are a fountain of knowledge. I plan to pursue this.

One thing I do not see in my first look through of the web information is the matter of parking in handicapped blue spaces without the placard. Did I overlook that?

Keith is already Panamanian.   

He is a person that is very interested in having real facts and correct information.   He surely knows how to survive in Panama

On 9/11/2017 at 11:32 AM, Keith Woolford said:

You can become a Citizen Inspector and report some infractions.

https://twitter.com/ATTTPanama/status/906895298399784960

Also uploading the video or pictures in messages to the  ATTT in tweeter also helps.   Be sure to grab very clearly the license plate number.  Also relevant pictures.    

Remember the lady dumping trash bags in the river.   She was caught on video and sent via tweeter to ATTT and other authorities. 

The Transit Authoritty has been on a real vigorous camapign of late, pounding out PSAs on driver education on TV, Twitter, Instagram and other media.

One which I've seen repeatedly outlines the proper procedure for reporting an accident. Obviously this idiot didn't get the memo. 

d44fde50-c6b0-41d1-85b1-4a30f9d6e555.png.783c5d2b12c23f0fdd6195ba90ec9707.png

PanAmerican highway near Calle F Sur.

• 4 weeks later...