I got the last 40 ounce bottle of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce today.  There were two stock people and what appeared to be a manager with a clip board in that section.  I explained to him that SBR is the best and to re-order.  He gladly wrote it down, we'll see.

Upon checkout I had four items in one bag so the bag boy got a quarter.

Nothing beats El Rey in David.  You can stock up on everything heavy, milk, bleach, juice, beer, wine cooking oils, etc., and the bag boys are proud to accept a dollar tip to bring it out to the car.  If I'm shopping with a friend, they get a dollar from each of us since the back of the SUV must be loaded accordingly.  And all under roof cover so no issues with rain.

• 4 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Uncle Doug said:

Oh, covered parking!  When I saw the construction, I feared that it was a new building being erected and the parking spots for Super Baru would be lost entirely.  

Now, if the store would sell frozen chicken pot pies, my life would complete...

Yes, yes. Those pot pies from Kentucky Fried Chicken of course. They are delicious and a favorite when we travel to the states.

1 hour ago, Uncle Doug said:

Oh, covered parking!  When I saw the construction, I feared that it was a new building being erected and the parking spots for Super Baru would be lost entirely.  

Now, if the store would sell frozen chicken pot pies, my life would complete...

One Tuesday market vendor sells frozen chicken pot pies.  But, they're super simple to make, except for the pie crust which is easy, but messy.  Shred one of the roasted chickens that you can buy in any market and the rest is just up to your particular taste.  You can make 5-6 nice sized pies with one chicken.  Saute veggies of your choice, add seasonings of your choice, and use a can of cream of mushroom soup to help make the sauce which is nothing more than a simple béchamel of butter, flour, and milk.  Voila, about 5 or 6 chicken pies in an hour of prep time and about $15 total.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped by Super  Baru yesterday in the poring rain. Had to park across the street in the new lot that is getting a roof built over it. ( pretty darn quick )

No sooner than I got out of my car the attendent was there and handed me an umbrella and walked me to the front door. Upon checking out, the bagger was ever so pleasant with excellent English. He offered to walk me out and I agreed as he carried my bags to the door. As we exited the attendant was there and handed me the umbrella again. The bagger walked me to my car put the bags in and made sure I got in the car nice and dry. It was a pleasure to tip them both. What service!

Thanks Super Baru!!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

This morning in Super Baru the cashier informed me that because my purchase was over $50, I was entitled to a free umbrella, blue or yellow, my choice.

"Blue, please," I said. 

"We're out of blue, would you like yellow?" 

In any case, I'm grateful for the new yella umbrella.

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

Having been critical of Super Baru Boquete earlier, I feel I should report that I had a very good experience there today. In fact, I got everything on my grocery list! I was amazed at how well-stocked the store was and how many new items they are carrying--items I thought I never would see in Panama. I may even be able to resurrect some old recipes I had given up ever cooking again. Their bread selection has grown, too, as well as meats. Parking was easy after I ran off a supply truck blocking the spaces out front. The only downside was that there remain far too many stock persons obstructing the aisles, normally two or more per aisle.

14 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

There is a very polite, bilingual, young man working there named John Farmer.

He told me that one of his assignments from Baru's owner, Spiro, is to ask English speaking customers if there are any products they can't locate or would like to see in the store.

Great news. I would imagine that Super Baru is saving a lot of folks a drive down to David now. We do not go to David as often since they opened! And Casa Jamon has been another great asset here in Boquete!