Moderator_02

On the Banning of Plastic Bags and Disposable Plastic / Styrofoam Cutlery and Serving Items

On 8/9/2017 at 10:01 AM, Siempre Soluciones said:

I find it convenient using these plastic bags from the grocery store while cooking.  I'll use several for food waste, eggs shells, bones, vegetable peelings, etc., all to be placed in a larger trash bag in a can for pickup.  Will it be illegal to use these privately in your home?  Where can these bags be purchased in bulk?  I've never looked for them at Pricesmart.

So do I find these plastic bags useful. But will gladly find an alternative to these plastic bags that take THOUSANDS of year to degrade. 

Plastic Bags Banned in Panama

The Assembly has approved a law prohibiting the delivery of disposable and non-biodegradable plastic bags to end consumers in supermarkets and commercial establishments.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

From a statement issued by the National Assembly of Panama:

The proposal is that establishments will proceed with the progressive replacement of prohibited bags, exchanging them for containers made of non-polluting materials or reusable plastic, within the following 12-month periods, from the enactment of this law, for supermarkets, pharmacies and retailers; and within 24 months for warehouses and wholesalers.

The objectives of the regulations are aimed at replacing the use of disposable plastic bags for reusable bags for carrying articles purchased in commercial establishments, and reducing the generation and disposal of solid waste, in order to improve the quality of the environment.

http://www.centralamericadata.com/en/article/main/Plastic_Bags_Banned_in_Panama

OPINION: Plastic pollution outweighs benefits

PLASTIC is a product of human creation derived from petroleum. Its use has been fundamental for the economic progress of all countries. With this material you can cover,  store, pack, and preserve, and in its infinite combinations it accompanies and defines contemporary human life from plastic credit cards to even the bottles of water. Without this compound, our daily life would be extremely difficult. All the benefits of plastic cannot compensate for its main disadvantage: Material saturates the landfills, lakes, rivers and seas of the world. Species as diverse as birds turtles, dolphins, whales and fish have been found dead with plastic in their stomachs. By 2050, the planet’s oceans will have more plastic than all animal and plant protein combined. It is time to act, we must be intelligent consumers, and more responsible with the environment and health. To achieve this we need the weight of the law and the real will to change… Hoyporhoy, La Prensa. Aug. 11

http://www.newsroompanama.com/environment/panama-3/opinion-plastic-pollution-outweighs-benefits

Marion    16

In the UK large supermarkets and retail stores charge 5p for each plastic bag you want – if you buy a week’s worth of groceries the 5p’s can mount up.  It’s a great incentive to take your own shopping bags (as my mother did when I was small, as I did when I grew and as I do now).  Smaller businesses can charge on a voluntary basis.

The 5p is not a government tax and does not go into the government coffers but the government does expect retailers to give the proceeds to good causes – it is for the individual businesses to choose what to do and which causes to support.

I’m sure if, worldwide, charges were levied for plastic bags we’d see a sharp decline in their usage.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Marion said:

In the UK large supermarkets and retail stores charge 5p for each plastic bag you want – if you buy a week’s worth of groceries the 5p’s can mount up.  It’s a great incentive to take your own shopping bags (as my mother did when I was small, as I did when I grew and as I do now).  Smaller businesses can charge on a voluntary basis.

The 5p is not a government tax and does not go into the government coffers but the government does expect retailers to give the proceeds to good causes – it is for the individual businesses to choose what to do and which causes to support.

I’m sure if, worldwide, charges were levied for plastic bags we’d see a sharp decline in their usage.

I am seeing the same thing here in Colombia.   Many large supermarkets charge a small fee for each plastic bag.   Right away that cuts down on the number of plastic bags a customer uses.   They  also sell the reusable cloth bags which many use rather than paying for plastic bags each visit.

I did see that the Rey in David was trying to push the idea of reusable cloth bags by having a single checkout isle that only served clients with either the reusable bags or for customers not using any bags.   Unfortunately, after a short time, it appeared that checkout lane was always closed.  I suspect that having a dedicated cashier for a checkout that got very little use did not make much sense.

Personally, I like the consumer having the choice with incentives for preferred behavior.