101st Spay/Neuter Clinic in Volcan

After a welcome rest in December, we happily resumed the clinics on January 22nd. Dr. Tello sterilized 44 animals, which brings our total to 3,751. We would have had 18 more animals today, except 9 dogs and 9 cats were either last-minute cancellations or no-shows.

See the web page at http://spaypanama-chiriqui.org/101st.html If you'd rather just see the photo album, the link is 
https://www.flickr.com/photos/panama_expat/sets/72157677863139431

We had a long but fairly uneventful day, except for two animals. One female dog had a venereal tumor. She had been spayed at our clinics three or four months ago, so obviously she was infected at the time and the tumor continued to grow. And one little dog, who had been bred many times, had a huge infected uterus filled with pus. She had had no obvious adverse symptoms but she soon would have died if she had not been spayed today.

Besides preventing the suffering due to overpopulation, these are just two more reasons to sterilize both males and females before sexual maturity.

Shortly before this clinic, someone asked me if I dread the clinics or look forward to them. My immediate reply was that I look forward to them. Helping so many animals--and their owners/guardians--is very heartwarming, not only to me but to our Dr. Andres Tello and to all of our volunteers. I consider it a privilege to be able to serve the animals and my community in this way. 

It is also very heartwarming to see so many youngsters bringing their pets. Education starts with the children!

Our next clinic will be on February 19, 2017. Please call for an appointment right away. We already have 54 animals scheduled for February, but we will accept more appointments to allow for no-shows.
Many thanks to our donors, volunteers, contributors of food and drinks, and to everyone who brings their animals to be sterilized.

Hugs!
Dottie 
  • Upvote 1