Hope for the New Year

Yesterday I attended a meeting where topics of conversation centered on what improvements or changes would benefit those living here in Boquete, or that are barriers to a satisfactory lifestyle. Here are some of the mentioned items:

• Lack of or insufficient parking. Three people said they prefer driving to David (even once or twice a week) instead of trying to park at Romero's. The new Super Baru market place in Boquete will have limited parking also.
  • Minimum computer skills. Several people indicated they have very little computer ability....can do simple e-mail work, but with difficulty. Have no plan for improvement.
  • No Spanish. No wish to learn a new language. Don't want to try anything new. No wish to assilimate into local culture.
  • Limited recreation facilities like a movie theatre.
  • Some of the local eatery places are good for drinking and hearing local gossip. Local groups are cliquish. Difficult to make friends.
  • Boquete no longer cheap. Prices are increasing. Expensive to live here now.

i would be interested in hearing what others think about these barriers (or other barriers not already mentioned), and what likelihood there is that things might improve.       

I don't understand people NOT WANTING to assimilated with these people and their culture. What were they thinking when they moved here? Parking isn't a problem for the Panamanians nor for me-----I adjusted for the parking and find a place and walk if necessary that way my lazy A$$ can get some exercise. Just look at how the panamanians use space in a house, store, or hotel. And, yes the parking spaces are smaller and limited. Solution, get a smaller car. What would be a nightmare is; if the majority of Panamanians were driving. Luckily only about 50% of the adults drive. Happiness comes from a roof, warm bed, food, clothing, a couple of dollars, and understanding YOU are happy whereever you take yourself.

Edited by Hil
  • Upvote 2

I would offer the following in response to the complaints:

1) I've never noticed that the parking in David is abundant. There are quite a few among us who have physical limitations that prevent walking long distances, particularly over the imperfect sidewalks and streets. I find myself bitching about this, too. But I've noticed that only prolongs the aggravation.

2) As to computer skills, there's no one who can help them if they won't help themselves.

3) Same with language and assimilation. Why did they even bother to move here?

4) Boquete is too small to support a movie theater.

5) The best way to meet like-minded friends is not in the local bar. Most of my friendships developed, and developed quickly, by joining charity groups. People everywhere are cliquish. All of us choose to be with those with whom we're most comfortable. That is different, of course, from downright prejudice, but I've run into very few people here who exhibit prejudice toward others without even knowing them.

6) Prices rise over time everywhere. It sounds like at least some of these folks moved here strictly for financial reasons. Poor planning and poor decision.

The bottom line is that there is little to nothing we, as extranjeros, can do to change any of these things. (Of course, short term bitching sometimes is cathartic.)

I saw this on Facebook today: "When you can't control what's happening, challenge yourself to control the way you respond to what's happening. That's where your power is."

Edited by Bonnie
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

On 1/4/2017 at 0:45 PM, Marcelyn said:

Yesterday I attended a meeting where topics of conversation centered on what improvements or changes would benefit those living here in Boquete, or that are barriers to a satisfactory lifestyle. Here are some of the mentioned items:

• Lack of or insufficient parking. Three people said they prefer driving to David (even once or twice a week) instead of trying to park at Romero's. The new Super Baru market place in Boquete will have limited parking also.
  • Minimum computer skills. Several people indicated they have very little computer ability....can do simple e-mail work, but with difficulty. Have no plan for improvement.
  • No Spanish. No wish to learn a new language. Don't want to try anything new. No wish to assilimate into local culture.
  • Limited recreation facilities like a movie theatre.
  • Some of the local eatery places are good for drinking and hearing local gossip. Local groups are cliquish. Difficult to make friends.
  • Boquete no longer cheap. Prices are increasing. Expensive to live here now.

i would be interested in hearing what others think about these barriers (or other barriers not already mentioned), and what likelihood there is that things might improve.       

I don't know who the people were at this meeting, but it sounds like they are more interested in changing Boquete than in changing themselves to adapt to their new community.  I predict most of them won't be here very long.

• Upvote 1

The good folks here at wryawry Inc. are very pleased to announce the inauguration of our new "Expatriate to Panama!" (tm) Program.

Our highly-skilled researchers have invented the innovative "Life Pod" (tm)  to simplify your move to Beautiful Panama.

Membership benefits include:

Your own self-contained "Life Pod" module (with optional "sustainance charging").

First-class container vessel shipping from Miami to Colon.

Ground transfer from Colon to your "Forever Finca" in Herrera Province in our custom "comfort truck".

Your "Life Pod" will ensure your every comfort by cocooning you in an intimate, climate controlled clear plastic ball engineered to completely recycle all your wastes into "Life Fuel" (tm). You will never have to engage in clumsy social interaction of any sort again -- forever!

Prices start at $999,999.00 Balboas, with a monthly service fee of $999.00 Balboas.

ACT NOW--a limited number of ocean-view lots are still available!!

On 1/6/2017 at 9:16 AM, Penny said:

I'm glad I wasn't invited to this "stitch and bitch" meeting.

Those folks need a kick in the ass.

Why don't they get off their collective asses and do something about their complaints?

Folks,    Many thanks

I had such a headache during this meeting. Had hoped for helpful information (was prepared to ask for suggestions on how to improve the CL program, maybe gain data for assisting someone in need, etc.). Nothing but selfish and personal complaints. I said to several people sitting near me "why are you even here (in Boquete)"? No answer, but maybe they didn't have one.

Sure sad to realize there are those who go aimlessly through life, and especially with such a negative and selfish mindset. They can't be happy.

• Upvote 1