Only a typical media report from the government saying that a section of this road will begin to be constructed.  The completion of this  highway will take far more than $3.5 million to complete.

Ask yourselves why this is so important when the main problems would be better spent to improve the infrastructure directly in the inner-city area of Boquete itself.  The hospital hasn't even been completed, after the "promise" some 4-5 years ago.

If I'm not mistaken, the $3.5 million figure in the article references the budget for repairs to schools in Boquete and Gualaca, and has nothing to do with the Ruta Sur project.

The local Diputada, Athenas Athanasiadis, has been pushing for the completion of the highway.

She can be contacted on her Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=5259335&fref=ts or on Twitter @AthAthanasiadis

1 hour ago, Lynne said:

OR fix the pot holes on Volcancito Rd. before someone gets killed.

Would it be too much to ask that they fix them right this time?  Those pot holes have been patched so many times, there are more patches than pavement.  That hole in front of Fresas Mary is ridiculous.  The water line that keeps breaking never gets fixed right.  The water leaks eat the road, so the pot holes happen over and over in the same place.  Somebody really wants job security.  And you're right, the pot holes are dangerous, because they are so deep, people go around them into oncoming traffic.

• Upvote 1

Those pot holes are turning into craters,

Oh, Pothole!!

There it is! But it's too late.

That pothole pulled me in, like fate.

My tire thuds, my car it shakes.

I shout, I brake, please be a mistake.

No, I hit it. Loud and proud.

That pothole smiles; I yell aloud.

I am sure it laughed and giggled too.

Got your tire, bent your rim too.

Oh, pothole how dare you! Take it back.

You sucked me in so deep and black.

Now my day it has been shot.

No turning back from what was lost.

Tomorrow I will remember it's there. When I see it I will glare.

I will tell it watch me now.

And swerve around it oh so proud.

But alas, we both know.

I'll forget and drive right into you, pothole.

- Carmen Francis

1 hour ago, Keith Woolford said:

Many years ago I complained to a Tico about the condition of roads in Costa Rica.

He replied that "yes, they are bad, but they go everywhere".

Here you square a rim in the pot holes, in Costa Rica you break an axle or fall completely in and end up in China! I lived there for 18 months and never saw them repair a single one.

• Upvote 1