Very Heavy Rains & Otto, A Tropical Storm on Steroids, At Times Also Classified as a Category 2 Hurricane - Very Unusual Weather for Central America

Two people have perished in a landslide just west of Panama City. The area of Fundavico in Arraijan has now been evacuated.

Tourists and residents in the Comarca Guna Yala  have been evacuated. This is in the San Blas Islands.

Heavy wind damage has been reported in Portobello, east of Colon.

Preparedness efforts are being made in the province of Bocas Del Toro

http://www.prensa.com/sociedad/Evacuan-turistas-pobladores-Guna-Yala_0_4627037273.html

Vista de una de las islas de Guna Yala esta mañana.

My daughters are on their sailboat in the San Blas Islands and report no rain last night, calm winds this morning, blue sky on the horizon.  Yesterday top wind speed was 30 knots.   The hurricane has moved north and seems to be collapsing.  I think we might even have a sunny day here in caldera.

www.sailingoneworld.com   --my daughters boat. 

Edited by Admin_01
converted URL into hot links

Good to hear. Looks like we dodged a bullet. Images from Portobello by Armando Escapa where a number of boats lost their moorings.

Otto has been downgraded to a Tropical Storm but there have been four deaths and ten people are still reported missing in various sectors.

http://www.prensa.com/in_english/Otto-debilita-tormenta-personas-desaparecidas_21_4627997155.html

15109564_1212146985542203_5596737683613619440_n.jpg

15193627_1212146362208932_49680282096141

15178322_1212146618875573_83769074248832

15192629_1212147248875510_82949792428430

15179085_1212144935542408_21090214411977

15193513_1212144452209123_34398932428722

15095501_1212146595542242_54304622765434

15094301_1212147252208843_40258449275488

Edited by Keith Woolford

• Moderators

Weather alert halts school classes

Posted on November 22, 2016 in Panama

Weather-extremar-medidas-precaucion-cons
Panama in the rain
Post Views: 225

SCHOOL CLASSES  have been suspended across the country  following the issuing of a nationwide yellow weather alert.by The National Emergency Operations Center of the Civil Protection System (Sinaproc)

The  yellow alert was prompted  by constant heavy rainfall generated by tropical storm Otto,  which has been upgraded to hurricane status in the  southwest of the Caribbean Sea.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/weather-alert-halts-school-classes

• Moderators

Red alert and 80 km winds for Caribbean coast

Post Views: 254

A RED ALERT   has been issued for Panama’s Caribbean coast due tropical storm Otto.

The announcement was made by President Juan Carlos Varela at a press conference on Tuesday morning Nov. 22

Varela said that school classes across the country will continue to be suspended.

“A red alert is declared for the coast of the Panamanian Caribbean, with a yellow alert for the rest of the country.” The red flag warning for the Caribbean coast calls for  winds up to 80 kilometers per hour that generate strong waves “Said a statement from the Joint Emergency Task Force.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/red-alert-80-km-winds-caribbean-coast

• Moderators

Rains collapse three homes

Post Views: 266

HEAVY rains  led to the collapse of three houses on a hillside in the Nuvea Libia sector of northern Panama), collapsed on Tuesday, November 22.

There were no reports of injured people, and soon after the collapse  furefighters and Civil Defense teams (Sinaproc) arrived to cordon off the area.

Tropical storm Otto, in the Southern C aribbean has been upgraded  to a hurricane with winds of 120 km. It has led to a red alert in parts of Panama and a yellow alert in all other areas.

Schools and government offices  have been closed, and some metro bus routes shut down.

Three people are known to have died as a result of the storm, and emergency services are working round the clock to assist over 2,000 people displaced by floods and widespread damage.

http://giphy.com/gifs/NUVNMU6CdCHF6?utm_source=iframe&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=tag_click

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/rains-collapse-three-homes

Bud, the above posts are from yesterday. According to Chris and to the Accuweather map at http://www.accuweather.com/en/pa/panama-city/259549/satellite/259549 (assuming I am interpreting it correctly), Hurricane Otto does appear to be taking a more northerly direction and may not affect us as much as expected. Let's hope.

Edited by Bonnie

20 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Otto Now A Category 1 Hurricane; Forecast to Make Very Rare Thanksgiving Hurricane Central America Landfall

The Hurricane experts at Weather Channel discuss Otto and Central America

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/tropical-storm-hurricane-otto-caribbean-central-america-forecast

This is what it looked like at 3 p.m.  I can't believe the volume of water that's coming down!

http://images.intellicast.com/Storm/Hurricane/Active.aspx?storm=1&type=visible&animate=true&enlarge=true

Hi This storm is really erratic in its movements, this early am moving north then it came south some and now seems to be reorganizing and the normal spiral arms of tropical storm/hurricane are sweeping across us.  This means rain and potentially a lot of rain in the higher elevations.  This can be bad news and rain in the mountains has been the cause of all boquete floods.   we did have about 4 hours of sun in Caldera today but now like most of chiriqui it is raining.  hopefully its erratic movements stabilize and it goes west.  If it comes south it would be a first ever for Panama.  Odds are not likely that it will but weather has not been totally cooperating with old models in the past couple of years.

chris

• Administrators

Admin_01 Note: With the prior approval of News Lady, the topic of Otto that had been posted (along with its replies) in the News Boquete forum has been merged into this topic. I also merged another topic that was related to the heavy rains here in Panama.

The rationale is that there was confusion about where to post, given that there were two simultaneous topics on the same subject. This was the first time that a topic in the News Boquete forum has been moved out of that forum. Hopefully everyone can understand these unusual circumstances.

I have also slightly modified the title for this topic to make it a bit more general.

2 hours ago, Bonnie said:

We had rain in Palo Alto, but not nearly the deluge that I expected and only for a couple of hours. It's only drizzling now. I hope the storm is moving on out. Nobody wants a rainy Thanksgiving.

You're lucky.  In Volcancito we have had a steady downpour for several hours - a real deluge.  It's still pouring at 6:30.

Otto Restrengthens to a Hurricane

Otto again became a hurricane Wednesday evening. It is expected to make landfall Thursday along the Central America coast. 

Story Highlights

Otto will landfall in either Nicaragua or Costa Rica on Thanksgiving Day.

A hurricane warning is in effect along parts of the Central American coast.

Heavy rain, flooding and mudslides are the greatest concerns for Central America.

This could be a record latest-in-season hurricane or tropical storm landfall in Nicaragua.

Otto will be the first Atlantic tropical cyclone on record to make landfall on Thanksgiving Day.

Hurricane Otto continues to strengthen as it moves westward, and it will make an extremely rare late November landfall in Nicaragua or Costa Rica on Thanksgiving Day, posing a danger of flooding and mudslides in parts of Central America.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/tropical-storm-hurricane-otto-caribbean-central-america-forecast

Edited by Keith Woolford

• Moderators

100 evacuated in Bocas del Toro

Posted on November 23, 2016 in Panama

evacuees-620x264.jpg
Post Views: 171

A HUNDRED  people including children,  evacuated from their homes  in Bocas del Toro earlier in the week, are being housed at hostels in Changuinola and other towns, as well as at a school.

Panama officials are working with their counterparts in Costa Rica to monitor the Sixola River, which could pose a danger to residents if it floods.

Around 600 emergency workers have been dispatched to Bocas del Toro to assist residents who have been impacted by the storm. Provisions are also being provided.

Residents are reminded to avoid any unnecessary travel and that a prohibition on taking out small vessels remains in effect.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/100-evacuated-bocas-del-toro

• Moderators

3 dead, 5 missing after Otto storm.

Posted on November 23, 2016 in Panama

tree-620x264.jpg
A teenager was killed when a tree fell near his Panama City school
Post Views: 162

AT  LEAST three people died and five went missing  during tropical storm Otto’s visit to Panama earlier this week.

Meanwhile the red weather alert  issued by  the Civil Defense system (SINAPROC), was lifted on Wednesday Nov.23.

It was replaced by yellow for Bocas del Toro and green for the rest of the country.

corridor-norte

School classes will resume Thursday except in Bocas del Toro.

Several schools in   Colón and the Comarca Guna Yala will also remain closed following damage caused by the rains.

landslide-escombros-sector-fundavico_lprima20161122_0012_26

A couple died when their Arriajan home was sept away in a landslide.

José Donderis, director of   Sinaproc, reported that the search is continuing for five people who went missing during Tuesday’s bad weather.

One of them went missing in the Utive River in Pacora.

another in the collapse of a residence in Nueva Libia.

Three  others disappeared after their boat   sank off the coast of Colón.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/3-dead-5-missing-otto-storm

Hurricane Otto is just hours away from making landfall Thursday near the border between Nicaragua and Costa Rica, posing a danger of flooding and mudslides in parts of Central America.

A Hurricane Hunter aircraft investigating Otto Thursday morning has found that it's now a Category 2 hurricane with 105 mph winds. This makes Otto the strongest Atlantic hurricane this late in the season since 1934, according to meteorologist Phil Klotzbach of Colorado State University.

(LATEST NEWS: Otto Impacts Central America)

The center of Otto will most likely move inland in southern Nicaragua, making it the latest in a calendar year that a hurricane has made landfall in that country.

(MORE: Hurricane Central)

A hurricane warning continues from Limon, Costa Rica, to Bluefields, Nicaragua.

A hurricane watch is in effect for the coast of Nicaragua north of Bluefields to Sandy Bay Sirpi, and for the coast of Costa Rica south of Limon to the Costa Rica/Panama border.

Current Storm Status

Pardon me while I wax philosophical.

I was born and raised in Texas, and not so fondly remember experiencing many hurricanes on the Gulf Coast as a young lad. I don't want to repeat that scenario ever again. And so when I first came to Boquete (2001) and seriously considered moving here, one of the questions I asked was about natural disasters. I was informed that floods and earthquakes are just about all there might be. If you choose to, you could include brush fires as a natural disaster as well; they could result from lightning (or mankind).

In these intervening years I had witnessed earthquakes and floods. I can never forget the magnitude 6.5 Puerto Armuelles earthquake that occurred early on Christmas morning of 2003. My house was still under construction and I was staying at Hotel Panamonte. One young girl living near Boquete was killed as I recall from a tree falling on her house. And then one of the big floods was in November 2008. Etc., etc.

Well, it turned out that Hurricane Otto, at times a tropical storm, and then a category 1 and for a short period a category 2 hurricane made history. The people of Panama, Costa Rica and Nicaragua were the victims. According to press articles, three people died in Panama from the flooding, and there were literally many thousands of people who had to evacuate their homes in all three countries.

In the past, we had to depend on the writing skills of witnesses to get a feeling for events in remote places, but with today's technology (a smartphone in everyone's hand) we were able to watch a video clip of three homes in Panama that literally washed away before our eyes from the gushing waters (http://giphy.com/gifs/NUVNMU6CdCHF6/html5).

It is my understanding that Hurricane Otto made history in being the strongest and latest in the hurricane season ever to make landfall on Central America.

Let's all pray that we never see such an exhibition of the power of Mother Nature again. Otto is now history for most of us reading this, but for many who were not so lucky, they face a major recovery period.

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

Panama aids Costa Rica after Hurricane Otto

Posted on November 26, 2016 in Panama

costa-rescue-620x264.jpg
Post Views: 126

THE FIRST team of 32 Panamanians experienced with natural disasters left  for Costa Rica on Friday , November 26.   to help that country in recovery efforts from the results of Hurricane Otto. They included 22 officials of the national air service, Senan,  10 from the civil defense agency Sinaproc.

Sinaproc Director José Donderis said that Panama will also send two aircraft and two helicopters to help with rescue efforts. Donderis said more aid will be sent if it is needed

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/panama-aids-costa-rica-hurricane-otto

The natural disaster and emergency response organization, SINAPROC, reported that in 7 short hours between 7:30 a.m and 2:45 p.m. yesterday, at least 11 landslides were recorded in various parts of the country due to soil saturation from heavy rains.

Los trabajos de limpieza en el corredor Norte hacia San Miguelito, desde El Dorado hasta Centennial tras los deslaves, no han concluido.

http://impresa.prensa.com/panorama/Derrumbes-secuelas-huracan-Otto_0_4631536918.html

Edited by Keith Woolford

3 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

The natural disaster and emergency response organization, SINAPROC, reported that in 7 short hours between 7:30 a.m and 2:45 p.m. yesterday, at least 11 landslides were recorded in various parts of the country due to soil saturation from heavy rains.

Los trabajos de limpieza en el corredor Norte hacia San Miguelito, desde El Dorado hasta Centennial tras los deslaves, no han concluido.

http://impresa.prensa.com/panorama/Derrumbes-secuelas-huracan-Otto_0_4631536918.html

Someone ran that photo through an editing job with the vibrance parameter cracked up to maximum level!