I normally don't consume the precooked food available at the Romero in town however with the ongoing water outages associated with the sewer/water project (two weeks on my street alone) I kind of have no choice.  However, they've not had precooked food available recently - no pizzas, burgers, sandwiches, pastries, salads, empanadas, or even bread.  A friend mentioned to me that some of their meat cases in the back are empty too.  I heard a rumor that they failed a health inspection and can no longer provide precooked food for a while.

When I ask the employees they give me a funny look.

Any ideas?

3 hours ago, Siempre Soluciones said:

I normally don't consume the precooked food available at the Romero in town however with the ongoing water outages associated with the sewer/water project (two weeks on my street alone) I kind of have no choice.  However, they've not had precooked food available recently - no pizzas, burgers, sandwiches, pastries, salads, empanadas, or even bread.  A friend mentioned to me that some of their meat cases in the back are empty too.  I heard a rumor that they failed a health inspection and can no longer provide precooked food for a while.

When I ask the employees they give me a funny look.

Any ideas?

If you have a grain of salt, you might take it with the rumour.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

If you have a grain of salt, you might take it with the rumour.

I took three grains and nothing.

One of my Panamanian neighbors is telling me that the computers at Romero's parent company, Grupo Rey, were hacked and their supply chain was compromised.

Where's that salt!

Well at least the Baru restaurant in town now offers home delivery so I can get some decent food without having to walk through ankle deep mud.

Went into Romero's this morning and it looks like the place is going out of business....I know they are not but, the meat section is like a ghost town as well as the produce section. No white sugar at all. I asked the clerk and he said is delivery problemo.

Went to Super Baru Deli and got what I needed. I noticed a lot of extra staff with very nice new uniforms. Probably in training for their new location.

Very much looking forward to when they open!!

Romero's needs a major remodel!

Edited by TwoSailors

Other forums are reporting the same supply problems throughout Panama in both Rey and Romero.  Little to no fruits, veggies, meat and chicken; perishable items are practically non-existent and non-perishables are not being restocked except from existing inventory.  It does sound like there is a problem with their procurement and inventory program, as evidenced by the fact that some items (e.g. apples) are on the shelf at Rey in David, but you can't purchase them; they say it's because there is a problem with the software such that they can't ring them up. 

I guess now I'm going to have to convince the sewer/water contractor to remove the 6' high pile of dirt they piled in front of my entry gates at my home so that I can go shopping in David!

https://www.facebook.com/supermercadosromero

From Grupo Rey's Facebook page:

"dear customers:

King group, focused on providing the best shopping experience to our customers, has recently begun implementing a new computer system.

this has caused, temporarily, the lack of certain products in some of our stores.

The we apologize for it and inform you that we are working hard to resolve the situation as soon as possible.

We appreciate your understanding and trust they place in our and reaffirm our comprimised in offering the freshness, quality and service every day.
"

romero rey.jpg

• Upvote 1

The chat boards have been filled lately with speculation about why the empty shelves at all Panama El Rey and Romeros stores. Apparently there is no (or very little) fresh meat, produce, or dairy products and there's also many empty shelves in other parts of the store.

A letter was published on the Yahoo Group Americans in Panama which supposedly has the answer:

Dear customers: 

Rey group focused on providing the best shopping experience, it has recently begun implementing a new computer system. 

This has caused, temporarily, the lack of certain products in some of our stores. 

We apologize for this and informed them that we are working hard to resolve the situation as soon
 as possible. 

We appreciate your understanding and trust they place in us, and we reaffirm our commitment to provide the freshness, quality and service every day. 

• Administrators

Based on the identical subject matter, two separate topics were merged together just now. The topic that was merged with this one had been posted in the Water Cooler forum.

Not wanting to confuse any of our readers, but experience tells me that merging is the right thing to do. And with apologies for not catching the dual topics earlier.

On 10/14/2016 at 10:11 AM, MarieElaine said:

With the invention of computerized POS systems, it seems everyone has forgotten how to order, price and ring up manually.  I also agree with Bonnie, who ever headed up this project should be fired.  Maybe something else is going on and this is a smoke screen (?).

Well.  We are so dependable of technology that if something fails.... everything gets rough and hard.  People today cant live without wi-fi and without a charger.   

Let's remember that in the banks we dont have full packs of dollars bills or coins.  We have bit and bytes in electronic form that says we have that amount of money in our accounts.  It is very easy for those bit and bytes to dissapear and leave you with nothing.

When there is not electric power some business cant work.  Nobody knows how to do some chores manually.  We are totally technology dependent.

I stopped into Romero this evening, as I was early for a dinner with friends at TOCO Madera and was hoping that portobello mushrooms had miraculously appeared, despite nearly no produce the last time I was there.  (Plus, I was out of vodka).  I was aghast to find that the store was fully stocked again. At least the produce sections were fully stocked and the rest of the place appeared to be as well, though I didn't spend much time assessing the situation after grabbing mushrooms and vodka.