Hi Friends

In Panama and other countries in America the Father's Day is celebrated on the third Sunday of June.   In our Latin culture the most idolatred and loved parent is the mother... but good fathers are celebrated too.   

In 1969 the italian/argentinian songwriter/singer Piero launched this song called "Mi Viejo" or My Old Man.   It became a hit in all Latin America.  Since those days this song is played on the radio on father's day as a tribute to all those good fathers that still exist.

It is a song that will make you share a couple of tears, specially if you have had a good father to remember.... it is a sad but beauty song.  Here is the video rescued, thanks God, in You Tube.   Below you will see the lyrics and I will try to translate it into english for you.

Lyrics in Spanish                                          Lyrics in English

Es un buen tipo mi viejo                                It is a good guy my old man                          
que anda solo y esperando,                         who walks alone and waiting
tiene la tristeza larga                                    he has long sadness
de tanto venir andando.                               of being walking for too much

Yo lo miro desde lejos,                                I saw him from the distance
pero somos tan distintos;                           but we are so different
es que creció con el siglo 
con tranvía y vino tinto. 

Viejo mi querido viejo 
ahora ya camina lerdo; 
como perdonando el viento 
yo soy tu sangre mi viejo 
Yo, soy tu silencio y tu tiempo. 

El tiene los ojos buenos 
y una figura pesada; 
la edad se le vino encima 
sin carnaval ni comparsa. 

Yo tengo los años nuevos 
y el hombre los años viejos; 
el dolor lo lleva adentro 
y tiene historia sin tiempo. 

Viejo mi querido viejo, 
ahora ya camina lerdo 
como perdonando al viento; 
yo soy tu sangre mi viejo. 
yo, soy tu silencio y tu tiempo.

Hi Friends

In Panama and other countries in America the Father's Day is celebrated on the third Sunday of June.   In our Latin culture the most idolatred and loved parent is the mother... but good fathers are celebrated too.   

In 1969 the italian/argentinian songwriter/singer Piero launched this song called "Mi Viejo" or My Old Man.   It became a hit in all Latin America.  Since those days this song is played on the radio on father's day as a tribute to all those good fathers that still exist.

It is a song that will make you share a couple of tears, specially if you have had a good father to remember.... it is a sad but beauty song.  Here is the video rescued, thanks God, in You Tube.   Below you will see the lyrics and I will try to translate it into english for you.

Lyrics in Spanish                                          Lyrics in English

Es un buen tipo mi viejo                                It is a good guy my old man                          
que anda solo y esperando,                         who walks alone and waiting
tiene la tristeza larga                                    he has long sadness
de tanto venir andando.                               of being walking for too much

Yo lo miro desde lejos,                                I saw him from the distance
pero somos tan distintos;                           but we are so different
es que creció con el siglo                          it is because he grew with the century
con tranvía y vino tinto.                              with streetcars and red wine

Viejo mi querido viejo                                Old man, My dearest old man
ahora ya camina lerdo;                             Now he walks very slow
como perdonando el viento                      as condoning the wind  
yo soy tu sangre mi viejo                          I am your blood my Old Man
Yo, soy tu silencio y tu tiempo.                  I am your silence and your time

El tiene los ojos buenos                            He has very good eyes
y una figura pesada;                                 and a heavy figure
la edad se le vino encima                         age came upon him
sin carnaval ni comparsa.                         with no carnival or comparsa

Yo tengo los años nuevos                          I got younger years
y el hombre los años viejos;                      and the man the older years
el dolor lo lleva adentro                             he carries the pain inside
y tiene historia sin tiempo.                         and has timeless history

Viejo mi querido viejo,                                 Old man, My dearest old man
ahora ya camina lerdo                                Now he walks very slow
como perdonando al viento;                       as condoning the wind  
yo soy tu sangre mi viejo.                           I am your blood my Old Man
yo, soy tu silencio y tu tiempo.                    I am your silence and your time

I tried to translate this as much as possible to the feelings this song has.   I hope you enjoy this that is part of our history.

Edited by Roger B