I don't see a category for electronics, and my question doesn't quite seem to relate to Communications, so I'm going to try it here. (I'm confident that the administrators will move it to a more appropriate forum, if there is one.)

I have had an iPad mini for about three months. Today, while photographing flowers in my garden, the protective cover came loose in my hand and the iPad fell face first onto a concrete walkway, shattering the screen. (*&#^@!!) I had an online chat with an Apple customer service rep who said that, even though I purchased it online from Apple in the U.S., Apple could not return it to me if I sent it there for repair because they do not mail to mail forwarding companies. The only alternative offered was sending it to the Mac Store in the Albrook Mall in Panama City. I'm not completely happy with this solution because I know difficult it can be fully communicate on things like this in Panama if issues arise or things are delayed.

A friend who is going to the States shortly has graciously offered to take it with her, take it to an Apple store there, and mail it back to me or bring it back to me in about six weeks. Of course I would like to have it back as soon as possible, but I have heard stories about how expensive electronic products like iPads and iPhones are prone to go missing in the customs process.

With that background, I ask whether any of you have faced a similar Apple issue and/or have any advice to offer as to what decision I should make.

No, because I didn't know there was one, and the customer service rep implied that the only one is in PC. (I told her I live in Chiriqui and that David is the biggest city there.) Thanks! That's what I'll try first.

To the left of Subway in between phone stores. You can see the Apple service center logo top right. I took this pic when they were opening.

Poked my head in the door and talked to a fellow who said he was the owner. He told me M stores are smaller volume Mac Stores. Same owners, same service.

Good luck.

image2.JPG

Edited by Keith Woolford
delete Barbie

I took my iPad to the M Store today. Sad to say, no one there spoke English, but I muddled my way through all the talk of warranties and options in Spanish. There's an area labeled "Servicio," but it was unmanned, and no, even though customer service folks there were polite and professional, they cannot fix my cracked screen. I was told I had to go to Panama City for authorized Apple service. No, they could not serve as the in between and send it for me. I also learned that Apple's extended warranty program (AppleCare) does not apply in Latin America, which has a totally different warranty program for Apple products purchased here. That was a surprise and a disappointment as I thought, being a global company, Apple's policies would be uniform throughout the world. So my choices are to forgo the warranty and have someone here fix it for, I was quoted, $170 due to the high cost of Apple parts, or send it with my friend back to States and have it fixed there under the warranty and then brought or sent back. This is my first Apple product and, as I said, I'm disappointed.

Edited by Bonnie
factual correction

Bonnie, I would opt for the second option.   Get it to the US and fixed under warranty otherwise you may end up with additional problems and a warranty that is void for any future issues.

Another option is to sell the broken iPad Mini.   There is a company I have used that buys phones and tablets (all brands) even if they have a broken screen or do not work.   You can check them out at https://www.gazelle.com.   They will even give you a quote on what they would be willing to pay right from their website.   Depending on the model and age, it might be better to let them buy the broken one from you and then purchase a new or certified used one from them.   They have an excellent reputation.   They are also handy for some of the old cell phones that are not being used (working or not) - it is all $$$ in your pocket.

Dan

Thanks, Dan. I'm sending it back with a friend who is going to the States. I don't want anyone but an authorized Apple rep working on it for the reasons you stated. I do have an iPhone that my son gave me that I may look into selling at Gazelle, though, because I don't want it. So thanks for that info, too.