Change to ACS and FBU Calling Hours

Bonnie

Seal with blue background

U.S. Embassy - Panama

Consular Section

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

The American Citizens Services (ACS) and Federal Benefits (FBU) Units will be changing their schedules to receive external calls from 10:30-11:30am on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.  The Embassy phone number is (507) 317-5000.  For automated information, please call (507) 317-5030.

Additionally, we would like to remind our customers that ACS and FBU operate on an appointment-only system for all services except emergency ACS cases and adult passport renewals.  For general questions, we encourage writing to ACS by email (panama-acs@state.gov) and FBU (panama-fbu@state.gov) by email. 

American Citizen Services

To schedule an appointment, or to obtain more information, please see the Embassy’s ACS page, which can be found here.

Federal Benefits

To schedule an appointment, or to obtain more information, please send an email to Panama-FBU@state.gov.   Please only send one e-mail regarding your issue.   We aim to respond to your inquiries within 3 business days.

U.S. Embassy – Panama

Sección Consular

INFORMACION IMPORTANTE

Cambio a Horario de Llamadas a ACS y FBU

Las Unidades de Servicios para Ciudadanos Estadounidenses (ACS) y Beneficios Federales (FBU) cambiarán sus horarios para recibir llamadas externas a las 10: 30-11: 30 a.m. los lunes, los martes, los jueves y los viernes. El número de teléfono de la Embajada es (507) 317-5000. Para información automatizada, por favor llame al (507) 317-5030.

Además, nos gustaría recordarles a nuestros clientes que ACS y FBU operan con un sistema exclusivo de cita para todos los servicios, excepto casos de emergencia de ACS y renovaciones de pasaportes para adultos. Para preguntas generales, recomendamos escribir a ACS (panama-acs@state.gov) y FBU (panama-fbu@state.gov) por correo electrónico.

Servicios para Ciudadanos Estadounidenses

Para programar una cita u obtener más información, consulte la página ACS de la Embajada, que se puede encontrar aqui.

Beneficios Federales

Para programar una cita u obtener más información, envíe un correo electrónico a Panama-FBU@state.gov. Por favor, solo envíe un correo electrónico explicando su problema. Nuestro objetivo es responder a sus consultas dentro de los tres días hábiles.

Assistance:

U.S. Embassy Panama City, Panama

507-317-5000

Panama-ACS@state.gov

https://pa.usembassy.gov/ 

State Department - Consular Affairs

888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444

Panama Country Information

Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates

52 minutes ago, Bonnie said:

U.S. Embassy - Panama

Consular Section

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

The American Citizens Services (ACS) and Federal Benefits (FBU) Units will be changing their schedules to receive external calls from 10:30-11:30am on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.  The Embassy phone number is (507) 317-5000.  For automated information, please call (507) 317-5030.

Additionally, we would like to remind our customers that ACS and FBU operate on an appointment-only system for all services except emergency ACS cases and adult passport renewals.  For general questions, we encourage writing to ACS by email (panama-acs@state.gov) and FBU (panama-fbu@state.gov) by email. 

To schedule an appointment, or to obtain more information, please see the Embassy’s ACS page, which can be found here.

Federal Benefits

To schedule an appointment, or to obtain more information, please send an email to Panama-FBU@state.gov.   Please only send one e-mail regarding your issue.   We aim to respond to your inquiries within 3 business days.

U.S. Embassy – Panama

Sección Consular

INFORMACION IMPORTANTE

Las Unidades de Servicios para Ciudadanos Estadounidenses (ACS) y Beneficios Federales (FBU) cambiarán sus horarios para recibir llamadas externas a las 10: 30-11: 30 a.m. los lunes, los martes, los jueves y los viernes. El número de teléfono de la Embajada es (507) 317-5000. Para información automatizada, por favor llame al (507) 317-5030.

Además, nos gustaría recordarles a nuestros clientes que ACS y FBU operan con un sistema exclusivo de cita para todos los servicios, excepto casos de emergencia de ACS y renovaciones de pasaportes para adultos. Para preguntas generales, recomendamos escribir a ACS (panama-acs@state.gov) y FBU (panama-fbu@state.gov) por correo electrónico.

Para programar una cita u obtener más información, consulte la página ACS de la Embajada, que se puede encontrar aqui.

Beneficios Federales

Para programar una cita u obtener más información, envíe un correo electrónico a Panama-FBU@state.gov. Por favor, solo envíe un correo electrónico explicando su problema. Nuestro objetivo es responder a sus consultas dentro de los tres días hábiles.

Assistance:

507-317-5000

Panama-ACS@state.gov

Oh, Oh.   Looks like I need to do a better job of planning my emergencies. ONE HOUR four days a week . mid morning is when I can have a problem. Sort of indicates the importance (or lack of) the US Embassy in Panama?

They respond to emergencies at all hours. I don’t know—and I think it’s a bad idea—but I believe they severely limit the time for receiving phone calls to encourage people to use email. They can’t be THAT busy, particularly since one of the major functions of ACS, social security, has been transferred to Costa Rica.

Speaking of Costa Rica, I wrote the consulate there on July 5 asking a simple question about the proof if life procedure. After five days and responding to three emails from them—all of which asked for information already provided, information that was irrelevant, or information which could and should have been sought in their first reply—I finally got my answer this morning.  Very frustrating.

10 minutes ago, Keith Woolford said:

Some friends who live way out in the boonies here spotted four guys yesterday in a nearly new vehicle and thought it suspicious.

I checked out the Plate for them and the car is registered to the U.S. Embassy.

Strange.

Maybe that is why they cut the Embassy hours? So the staff can get out and see Panama, in nice new cars paid for by US taxpayers.

6 hours ago, Bonnie said:

They respond to emergencies at all hours. I don’t know—and I think it’s a bad idea—but I believe they severely limit the time for receiving phone calls to encourage people to use email. They can’t be THAT busy, particularly since one of the major functions of ACS, social security, has been transferred to Costa Rica.

Speaking of Costa Rica, I wrote the consulate there on July 5 asking a simple question about the proof if life procedure. After five days and responding to three emails from them—all of which asked for information already provided, information that was irrelevant, or information which could and should have been sought in their first reply—I finally got my answer this morning.  Very frustrating.

And we have a US Embassy in Panama because? I thought this organization was here to help US citizens.

The embassy handles a lot of things other than aiding U.S. citizens, so I think you mean American Citizen Services (ACS). Register your concerns with them. I’m afraid I’m just a flunky, as frustrated as you are. 

I will say this. The people in Panama ACS always respond, and usually respond promptly. They were always quick to resolve SSA issues before the responsibility was transferred to Costa Rica. And they too were distressed about the transference.  So we’re all suffering from that decision.

i just don’t understand why phone questions are entertained for only four hours out of a 40-hour work week.

28 minutes ago, Siempre Soluciones said:

US embassies have essentially become welcome centers for new citizens.

What do you mean? If you mean welcoming U.S. citizens who have come to reside in Panama, I see absolutely no evidence to support that. I know of no one who has been "welcomed," as I understand the word, by the Embassy.

Don't forget that the Embassy's role goes beyond in-country citizen services. It's most important function is the diplomatic one, which includes interacting "with representatives of the host government, local businesses, nongovernmental organizations, the media and educational institutions, as well as private citizens to increase understanding of the United States and its policies and to collaborate on shared interests.  Embassy staff analyze the political and economic situation in the host country and report back to the Department of State on issues that affect the United States. They help U.S. businesses find partners and customers and may train the host government’s police and military to support better security in the country. They also sponsor educational, professional and cultural exchanges to introduce emerging and established leaders to the United States and to promote ties between U.S. and foreign students, academics, scientists, entrepreneurs, political, religious, and civil society figures." [from https://diplomacy.state.gov/discoverdiplomacy/diplomacy101/places/170537.htm]

11 hours ago, Bonnie said:

U.S. Embassy - Panama

Consular Section

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Federal Benefits

U.S. Embassy – Panama

Sección Consular

INFORMACION IMPORTANTE

Beneficios Federales

Assistance:

507-317-5000

Panama-ACS@state.gov

Jonathan Farrar was the wonderful US Ambassador to Panama from 2012 to 2015. I sense the activities (services) at the Embassy in Panama City have deteriorated since he left.

Interesting conversation with wife of State Department Officer during a flight into Tocumen yesterday. Her husband is on a three month (minimum) assignment at the US Embassy in Panama City and the wife was soliciting our comments re the low level of service provided by the current staff in PC.

She admitted the Embassy is functioning with a skeleton crew and no permanent Ambassador.

(Not sure why, but she moved to vacant seat next to us in economy section about an hour into the flight.)

• Upvote 1