117th Spay/Neuter Clinic in Volcan

June 24, 2018 - 41 animals were spayed/neutered by Dr. Andres Tello, our  wonderful veterinarian. Plus he also performed several other procedures, including repair of a hernia, and several exams.  http://spaypanama-chiriqui.org/117th.html

A big problem has developed in the Volcan area. More and more dogs are being brought here and dumped. I used to recognize every dog I saw on the street. Now I see skinny females in heat (who will give birth to puppies that will also suffer), females with big teats that already have puppies, and unsterilized males with wounds from fighting over females in heat.

Please! Does anyone have suggestions for a solution to this problem?

------------------------------

The July 22nd clinic is already fully booked and we are taking reservations for August 12. The August 12th clinic is almost half full now. We will have a second clinic in August, on the 26th.

Please see my web page for pictures and information about three dogs that I recently rescued, one of which needs a loving home. http://spaypanama-chiriqui.org/117th.html

Big thanks to Dr. Andres Tello, to everyone who donates whether financial or otherwise, and to those who bring their animals to be sterilized.

PS - If you have any old lightweight blankets, please donate them for use in the recovery areas! I used to have plenty but over time a lot have disappeared. Thank you!

Dottie 

• Upvote 3

Dottie,

You continue to perform a valuable service for the Volcan community. We are somewhat stressed to read your comments about the "dumping" of animals in that area. I cannot imagine any rational reason behind such action, but trust your assessment. Please don't give up on your passion of taking care of the domestic pets in Volcan. However, Marcelyn and I knowing you as we do do not think your mindset includes an option for giving up.

Thank you, and to all of your volunteers and to Dr. Tello as well.

Thank you, Bud. People have actually seen acts of dogs being dumped. I'm certainly distressed about it. And it's also obvious because of the more and more "strange" ones in the area. The "reason?" People get tired of their dog(s) and either can't or don't try to find another home for them.

I and only a couple of others try to get dogs from the street and sterilize them. Friends recently caught a pregnant female that did NOT want to be caught. It took diligence on their part. She had 7 puppies the day after they managed to get her. We will sterilize the mama in July and all the puppies on August 26th. The person who is taking care of them will keep the mama and one of the puppies. Then to find homes for the six puppies. Potential owners will be vetted, because everyone loves cute puppies--but often, when they grow up, the people lose interest and no longer want the adult dog.

I'm about overloaded here. With no competent vet in the entire area, I'm the one people call about injured or sick animals and animal abuse.

Of course I won't give up. I just wish more people, especially expats, would get involved in working to get homeless dogs to the clinics in this area and would also report instances of animal abuse--and follow up to see that the law is enforced. Most people just say, "Oh, too bad," and don't bother to do anything about it.