2 hours ago, Bonnie said:

The failure to investigate or to investigate effectively I find deeply troubling. In my dealings with the authorities, they have made no effort I'm aware of to actually solve a crime.

The Police don't investigate crimes. That's left to the Public Ministry, through the office of the Personera.

A complaint has to be made there and then the process starts. As you say, it's ineffective and progress is difficult to track.

Hopefully under the new Accusatory system, things will go smoother.

2 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

The Police don't investigate crimes. That's left to the Public Ministry, through the office of the Personera.

A complaint has to be made there and then the process starts. As you say, it's ineffective and progress is difficult to track.

Hopefully under the new Accusatory system, things will go smoother.

Yes, that's why I used the term "authorities." I know the Personeria takes over from the police, but I've never been sure exactly what the police do. In two cases I was involved with, the police did do some minimal investigation. Both cases were then kicked up to the Personeria and died somewhere in the process. Obvious suspects and witnesses (or potential witnesses) in both cases were never even questioned. The victims, on the other hand, were tied up for days in the bureaucracy.

2 hours ago, Bonnie said:

I can't speak for Keith, but it has been my experience that the shortcomings of the police go beyond showing up late, even though that is an important concern. The failure to investigate or to investigate effectively I find deeply troubling. In my dealings with the authorities, they have made no effort I'm aware of to actually solve a crime. They fail to follow up proffered leads, do not interview named suspects, gather no evidence, etc. Rather, they engage the victim in hours of unproductive bureaucracy leading to nothing. And criminals profit when there is no apprehension and enforcement. Certainly the behavior of the young man in question was not caused by the police, but I also would be willing to bet that he has engaged in other criminal behavior during his 20 years that has gone unpunished.

Well said, Bonnie! The blind eye of justice starts with the lack of education in the schools.

• Upvote 1