Nuris Castrellon, 50 years of age, was the woman who was brutally murdered by unknown assailants with a blunt force object. by the footbridge leading to Bajo Jaramillo.

She was on her way to work, we think at Sabroson.

According to this report, it happened around 4:20 a.m. yesterday.

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Sad 1

The local woman who was brutally murdered on Sunday morning by the Zarza that leads to Bajo Jaramillo is Nuris Esther Castrellon, 50 years of age.

Reports say her body was found partially undressed, apparently raped, and beaten about the face and head.

DIJ investigators and Public Ministry officials are coordinating efforts to capture her killers.

The alleged perpetrator of this crime has been captured in Bajo Boquete.

This poor woman was beaten about the face so badly that she was unrecognizable to her family. Funeral services will be held tomorrow.

Expect a long procession through town.

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Upvote 1

On 7/3/2018 at 9:48 AM, Keith Woolford said:

Women are gathering on Saturday at the Parque in Boquete to honor the memory of this woman and repeat the call for an end to femicide.

Those planning to attend are being asked to dress in white or purple.

image.png.9c50d10f86a10f77dba9faf0e3dd646b.png

English language Notice and Statement regarding Saturday's gathering.

image.png.965d76df210847b1b08d7c930d024bdb.png

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Like 2

Mi Diario has published the name of the accused person being held for this horrific crime. Efrain Manuel Rios Gonzalez, 20 years of age.

image.png.856f5bb5cbc2fd518850847cbca4150e.png

They also published this photo of the accused, and described results and conclusions of the autopsy.

He's been officially charged and held over for the six month investigation period.

https://www.midiario.com/uhora/policiales/los-aterradores-elementos-del-salvaje-asesinato-de-la-boquetena-nuris-castrellon

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Despite the rain there was a big turnout at this gathering. People have been both saddened and horrified by this crime and are demanding more security in the area.

Photos courtesy of Shirley Alonso de Braasch and Jane Perkins McKeon

image.thumb.png.c134f8d9b7a5b0f477d6eb8c394fa3c1.png

image.thumb.png.d3e4ecdf4f46433dd7b1a7a1acd47075.png

image.thumb.png.39b369002481ff86de4ec8fb40f9c616.png

image.thumb.png.afb4f974394ec6a70a5c2367a030a83d.png

image.thumb.png.4ae74c2f7dec3e3738b2053900a85205.png

image.thumb.png.900dddbddc0b598017bd795aeddecf1b.png

image.png.a0a67fbf3c8221dd3f414c6e96ed65da.png

image.thumb.png.c35e570405e96c348c5af033ec606c28.png

image.thumb.png.383855851fbf536d9ece3233037dd792.png

image.thumb.png.b1443831615db72213d4a648cbfaba38.png

image.thumb.png.c69bbad0065db2e6984beb19d1968cd9.png

image.png.8c5e107f9256d6c6f5198f1d04362554.png

image.thumb.png.8becfbf2f9fe5eff116375815a255398.png

image.png.0e9ea3dc0827664e18117b7c8c2c85b5.png

image.thumb.png.664dc6c29f901555a377643f84a8f29f.png

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Moderator_02 changed the title to 50 Year Old Woman Murdered in Bajo Boquete
  • Moderators

Boquete protests local killing, femicide

boquete-demo-620x264.jpg
Post Views: 381

A group of women in the city of Boquete, Chiriqui, on Saturday, July 7, called on authorities to pay more attention to security  following the increase  in femicide in Chiriqui and the country  including the recent killing of a woman on her way to work in Boquete, a tourist center and home to many retired  expats.

The most recent case is the murder of Nuris Castrellón,49, a woman from Boquete who was walking to work and was intercepted on a bridge by a 20-year-old man, who is now in preventive detention.

Emigdio Walker, mayor of Boquete, said the protest comes as a loud and clear call to avoid more cases like that of Nuris Castrellón.

“We ask for justice, not only for what happened to a woman in Boquete but in the rest of the country,” said the mayor.

Last week the judge of guarantees, Rita Williams, decreed legal the arrest against a young man and opened the investigation for his alleged connection with the crimes of femicide, aggravated robbery, and violation against Castrellón.

The killing occurred on  Sunday, July 1, on the pedestrian  bridge that connects the Bajo sector of Boquete with Jaramillo.

According to the autopsy report, Castrellón died after receiving blows in different parts of her body with a blunt object.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/boquete-protests-local-killing-femicide

It saddens me to read/hear sordid descriptions, predominantly on other social media, of what happened to this women before and after her death. Where do these know it all people get their information of all the minute details of who did what and when, how many people involved, etc. etc.?

Have to question if these people were present and are they witnesses to this horrible situation or is this just an opportunity to spread gossip? 

At least some of the sordid details came from published reporting of Court testimony by the Public Ministry (Prosecutor) at the accused's arraignment.

The court of public opinion seems to think that this person, known as a 'maleante', did not act alone.  Disgustingly enough, he calls himself Adonis. He asked for protective custody.

• Sad 1

On 7/9/2018 at 12:38 PM, Moderator_02 said:

Emigdio Walker, mayor of Boquete, said the protest comes as a loud and clear call to avoid more cases like that of Nuris Castrellón.

“We ask for justice, not only for what happened to a woman in Boquete but in the rest of the country,” said the mayor.

This has echoes of the "thoughts and prayers" emanating from Stateside politicians in response to gun violence. I would be more impressed if we heard the Mayor say that he will demand more of the local police and prosecutors. Platitudes aren't enough. People want to see a responsive police force: the apprehension and successful prosecution of criminals.

• Upvote 1

The Department of Professional Responsibility of the National Police are conducting an internal investigation into the non-response to this crime.

The Chief for Chiriqui, Erick Amaya, said that the Police responsibility is to serve and protect the community, and that on the day in question, a communications error led to confusion about the location.

According to this article, changes will be made to the Police command and personnel in Boquete. Eighteen new officers will be assigned to the zone.

Chief Amaya also said that he and the Mayor will organize a Public meeting to respond to the community's concerns.

Edited by Keith Woolford

21 minutes ago, Bonnie said:

Thanks for this, Keith. It's reassuring. My limited experiences with the police and the justice system, primarily related to my responsibilities as a U.S. warden, have all been bad: time-consuming and non-productive.

That is sad!

Bottom line is that the police did not raise this child who became a thief, brutal murderer and rapist.   I doubt he became a punk overnight. Focus should be on enrichment of resources for the youth.  What could be done that they develop a healthy value system and have a sense of self worth?  Are school adequate?.  Are there sufficient trade schools?  No.  Here's a minor roaming the streets in the early morning hours before the sun has risen looking for ....trouble?

Edited by Brundageba

21 minutes ago, Brundageba said:

Here's a minor roaming the streets in the early morning hours before the sun has risen looking for ....trouble?

He's no minor, this one. Not at 20 years of age. 

More resources and investment in youth are always a good idea. Unfortunately, there are kids who from an early age, given the choice of two paths identifiable as right and wrong, will always mess up and head down the road to trouble.

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, JohnF13 said:

I doubt it will be 18 MORE officers, merely a rotation.  Sadly, a tactic used to deflect attention away from poor policing.  But, I’m just a cynical old b.....

Agree. There will be snow in Boquete before we ever see that level of police stationed in Boquete.

3 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

He's no minor, this one. Not at 20 years of age. 

More resources and investment in youth are always a good idea. Unfortunately, there are kids who from an early age, given the choice of two paths identifiable as right and wrong, will always mess up and head down the road to trouble.

20 year old and so messed up that at 4:30 or so in the morning he was  roaming around and able to beat a woman beyond recognition to death after stealing from her ...and more .   I doubt it's just a "choice between two paths"  but a pattern of uncorrected malevolence for a long long time with this kid.   The degree of "bad path" with this crime was off the Richter.    I guess what I'm saying here is that blaming the police for this happening is putting the blame in the wrong location.  If police response was slow then certainly that needs to be looked into as well.

2 hours ago, Brundageba said:

20 year old and so messed up that at 4:30 or so in the morning he was  roaming around and able to beat a woman beyond recognition to death after stealing from her ...and more .   I doubt it's just a "choice between two paths"  but a pattern of uncorrected malevolence for a long long time with this kid.   The degree of "bad path" with this crime was off the Richter.    I guess what I'm saying here is that blaming the police for this happening is putting the blame in the wrong location.  If police response was slow then certainly that needs to be looked into as well.

I can't speak for Keith, but it has been my experience that the shortcomings of the police go beyond showing up late, even though that is an important concern. The failure to investigate or to investigate effectively I find deeply troubling. In my dealings with the authorities, they have made no effort I'm aware of to actually solve a crime. They fail to follow up proffered leads, do not interview named suspects, gather no evidence, etc. Rather, they engage the victim in hours of unproductive bureaucracy leading to nothing. And criminals profit when there is no apprehension and enforcement. Certainly the behavior of the young man in question was not caused by the police, but I also would be willing to bet that he has engaged in other criminal behavior during his 20 years that has gone unpunished.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Brundageba said:

20 year old and so messed up that at 4:30 or so in the morning he was  roaming around and able to beat a woman beyond recognition to death after stealing from her ...and more .   I doubt it's just a "choice between two paths"  but a pattern of uncorrected malevolence for a long long time with this kid.   The degree of "bad path" with this crime was off the Richter.  

Agreed. "Uncorrected malevolence" is evidence of someone who is continually making the decision they know to be wrong.

When I was a kid I had a brother..

• Upvote 1