Whatsapp Viruses Now!

• Moderators

NewsLady preface to the below email. This is NOT the kind of email content that normally would be distributed via News.Boquete. However, there may be merit in such a warning; thus an exception is being made. Newslady does not vet the messages that are distributed via News.Boquete; each recipient is free to decide what, if anything, to do about this content.

NewsLady

==============================

According to IT colleagues of my daughter and also reported on the BBC, a video will be released tomorrow purported to be from Whatsapp called Martinelli  -DO NOT OPEN  your phone as it will be hacked and currently there is no fix.

Also if you receive a message to update Whatsapp to Whatsapp gold-DO NOT CLICK. According to the BBC report, this virus is difficult and severe.

I have not yet received either of these messages but it is well to be prepared.

Tricia

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--

If replying to this message, reply ONLY to the ORIGINATOR (typically your email application's 'Reply To' function works).

To stop receiving these emails, send a message to news.boquete@gmail.com with the word unsubscribe in the subject line or body of the message.

© 2018, News Boquete. All rights reserved. Public redistribution strictly prohibited without prior written permission.

Let me make a few comments...

This is an obvious hoax and easy to detect based on a few items.   First, the supposed source of this information is "According to IT colleagues of my daughter"  and "reported on the BBC" without any link to the story or source.  I am afraid that "Tricia's daughter's IT colleagues" are not much of a reliable news source unless you believe everything you read.     It also states that it will happen in the future (tomorrow), so someone must be psychic if this is to be believed.   

The next thing is that a simple Google search easily confirms this to be a hoax in case a person is finding Tricia's Boquete News posting to be in any way believable.

I can understand that the NewsLady can not vet every message that gets submitted.   I would suggest that any message that appears to be a warning of something dangerous should get a second opinion before being posted.   It only takes a moment to email a computer tech or to do a Google search.   I would be happy to respond in a timely manner if something like this appears again and the Newslady or others have questions as to its legitimacy.   An extra set of eyes often keeps one wise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Twin Wolf Technology Group said:

Let me make a few comments...

This is an obvious hoax and easy to detect based on a few items.   First, the supposed source of this information is "According to IT colleagues of my daughter"  and "reported on the BBC" without any link to the story or source.  I am afraid that "Tricia's daughter's IT colleagues" are not much of a reliable news source unless you believe everything you read.     It also states that it will happen in the future (tomorrow), so someone must be psychic if this is to be believed.   

The next thing is that a simple Google search easily confirms this to be a hoax in case a person is finding Tricia's Boquete News posting to be in any way believable.

I can understand that the NewsLady can not vet every message that gets submitted.   I would suggest that any message that appears to be a warning of something dangerous should get a second opinion before being posted.   It only takes a moment to email a computer tech or to do a Google search.   I would be happy to respond in a timely manner if something like this appears again and the Newslady or others have questions as to its legitimacy.   An extra set of eyes often keeps one wise. 

That is great info and as you stated very easy to confirm by doing a google search. If one is going to put news information out to the public as a community service then they should take on the responsibility of vetting the accuracy and truth of the information. It is not difficult to do.