Boquete.ning; the long goodbye

Actually, still a lot of entertainment value here, as Olga desperately tries to present odd subjects, and a few of the remaining members respond with satirical offerings of their own - repeating Olga's ridicules line; "You must read and comment on this". Hahaha.....Richard Simmons, indeed....lol.....

• Upvote 6

It's sad for the new ning members that they have lost the accumulated knowledge of the old ning, unless they do an extensive search (but they don't seem to do that).  Someone is trying to raise money for an ambulance again.  This has been worked over since 2007.  They don't know what they're in for.  Others are asking how to do and find things that have been discussed over and over.  I expect soon someone will ask how to take a pet into or out of Panama - again and again and again.  And then there's the misinformation (DirecTV).

Edited by JudyS

I was thinking that today.  I mean why insert an article about a dentist who did pro bono work on a woman who had her teeth knocked out by her boyfriend?   Had nothing to do with Boquete....I just find it weird and not particularly helpful to the new folks.    The new folks?   Apparently lots of them.  I agree...a TON of useful information got buried when Lee was...or shortly thereafter.

• Upvote 1

Ning.com is a website and Boquete.ning.com is just one instance, a piece of that big website.  So any community of common interest, e.g., Denver.ning or Phoenix.ning or MyPhotoClub.ning any other location/group is possible. I'm wondering if computer savvy people just click on their local Ning and find their way to Boquete.ning. Of course the Ning program costs money (reason to have advertisers who pay a fee). I agree the Boquete.ning has little info about our Boquete and wonder what the new folks think about the people who live here.

Haven't read Ning for many weeks, but the last reading makes me remember the topics ("woman with two heads", "boy who swims to the moon", etc.) on the so called tabloid newspapers posted at the check-out stand in grocery stores in US.

3 hours ago, Brundageba said:

I was thinking that today.  I mean why insert an article about a dentist who did pro bono work on a woman who had her teeth knocked out by her boyfriend?   Had nothing to do with Boquete....I just find it weird and not particularly helpful to the new folks.    The new folks?   Apparently lots of them.  I agree...a TON of useful information got buried when Lee was...or shortly thereafter.

My thoughts were that the poster was simply doing a parody of the direction Ning had taken.  He had another post about a guy who started dealing in marijuana to get enough money to buy his girlfriend a boob job.  I might be wrong about it being parody, but I don't think so.

I also think that Olga must be getting paid by the word.  I pity her husband if the incessant babbling is her normal persona.

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Penny said:

Most topics (especially those started by Olga) definitely aren't related to moving to or living in Boquete.

Those topics written are a desesperate way to increase the traffic in the site.

Amazingly only the polemic topics, where people start doing strong arguments, are the one that generates more traffic.  

Other interesting point is that even with more than 6,000 members on the site the amount of traffic or posting is very very little.   Another interesting thing is that those topics generates hot discussions, some kind of insults from people who were not the "problematic people" they banned or resign the site.   

• Upvote 2

Perhaps the owners of Ning have a contract with their advertisers that promise a certain number of postings. Even a "nonsense" subject having nothing to do with Boquete might count toward their agreement with people who pay money to advertise on Ning.

Wonder if Olga's contract with Ning owners mentions subject matter requirements or just specifies number of postings required.

Maybe I already know the answer.?

Well...one thing for sure is: It's beyond all life support.  What Lee created for folks who might have some remote interest in living here plus the amazing helps residents obtained in the on-going local information provided is no longer there.  It's something different now.  I think each one of us that enjoyed that site so much go there from time to time to see if there's a glimmer of life left.  I find I go there less and less to check these days.

• Upvote 1

It may be beyond all life support, but there are a number of participants who apparently do not know its shortcomings. When I see the name of someone I know on Ning, I make a point of telling them that there's a better alternative, that CL is locally run, is ad free, and enjoys the participation of Boquete veterans who know the score. I think each of us needs to do our part to spread the word. When I first advise someone to try CL, I also tell them to click on the "Activity" tab when they first sign on. This is what they're used to, so it isn't quite so daunting to make the change. Once they see what CL has to offer, they'll be inspired to become familiar with the site. Eventually, I think, everyone will migrate to CL, but let's help them along.

Good for you.  So many there I see from time to time I have no email for and no mode of contact.  They ask for help with something I might have the answer for and I can't do anything about it.  One fellow had white fluff coming out his tile grout and he was "treating it with chlorox" thinking it was mold.  Well the white fluff is no doubt degrading grout and a process of cement deterioration called efflorescence.   Chlorox will make it worse. I felt bad that I couldn't help the guy.

Apparently I went a bridge too far with Bog Hunter.

BOGSHOES are not allowed and I no longer exist on Boquete Ning.

As Mr Nixon would say "Well you won't have CJ Edon to kick around any more."

Bye Olga. May the Latin Force Be With You.

Do a good job for Bog & Ambreen.

cj eldon

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1