Message added by Moderator_02

There have been several strongly worded objections to some of the content in this topic, and also to the title given to it by the original poster. After careful review of all feedback received, and wanting to remain transparent and compliant with our operating guidelines, CL staff have changed the title from its original wording -- "Salmonella from Chopstix Restaurant" -- to a more generic title of "An Experience at Chopsticks".

This topic will be unlocked to allow more postings by CL members.

We thank all of those who have provided their feedback and recommendations on this matter.

Dated 24 March 2018, 10:15AM.

On 3/21/2018 at 2:34 PM, Bartleby said:

one of my Panama City lawyers told me that being "right" was enough to defend against a slander

If you believe this, I suggest you take a look at the HSBC vs. Peter Gordon case. A summary of the issues can be found at the following link, but there is a lot of other information on the Internet.

https://globalvoices.org/2007/03/15/panama-hsbc-sues-customer-for-yahoo-postings/

Thank you, Bud and Marcelyn, for reopening this forum. I would hate for any reader to be left with the impression that publicly criticizing a business is risk free.

• Upvote 1

I remember a few years ago there was a “consignment situation” where people learned that “being right” or “truth” is not a defense when publicly criticizing a business.

Publicly criticizing an individual, as well as a business or organization, may have consequences also.

22 hours ago, Bonnie said:

If you believe this, I suggest you take a look at the HSBC vs. Peter Gordon case. A summary of the issues can be found at the following link, but there is a lot of other information on the Internet.

https://globalvoices.org/2007/03/15/panama-hsbc-sues-customer-for-yahoo-postings/

I was a member and daily reader of the Yahoo group where Peter Gordon relentlessly bad-mouthed HSBC bank. I'm not saying the bank didn't deserve it; just saying he was obsessive and relentless. One of the interesting facts in this case is that the bank had to prove they were harmed by the postings. They got a friend of the president (insurance broker Kevin Bradley) to write a letter saying he was closing his $100 account because of Peter Gordon's criticism of the bank on Yahoo. Peter Gordon had sold his string of retirement homes in Canada and deposited the proceeds (several million dollars) into HSBC. His account was frozen for many years while the case proceeded. I believe there was finally a settlement with a non-disclosure agreement.

• Like 1