An expat friend recently relocated from Boquete to San Ramon, Costa Rica, and says that Costa Rica is a lot cheaper (food, alcohol, and rent), cleaner, far better roads, and the people are a lot friendlier.  After my few visits to Costa Rica (not San Ramon) and having had friends living in Costa Rica visit me here in Panama, that's not our experience.  Friends can't believe how cheap things are here in the grocery stores especially beer, wine, and alcohol.

Does anyone know what the requirements are and the average cost is to obtain permanent residency in Costa Rica?

I think your friend is taking advantage of the allegedly cheaper alcohol. Admittedly, I haven't been to Costa Rica in a while, but I did spend a good bit of time there when my son was doing extended biological research in CR. We traveled all over the country, and the roads were awful, the people not nearly as friendly as Panamanians (though not necessarily unfriendly). We actually considered Costa Rica first for retirement, but research indicated that costs were becoming astronomical and crime on the rise. I know several people in Boquete who moved here from Costa Rica primarily because of the increased crime.

• Upvote 1

On 3/10/2018 at 11:49 AM, TwoSailors said:

Thanks.  But I was looking for info from someone who has gone through the process.  Your link references an attorney's website.