Jump to content

Recommended Posts

My vegetarian daughter is coming for a visit. She eats dairy products but no fish or meat. Looking for suggestions for restaurants that have a couple of vegetarian options on the menu.

Thanks for all suggestions. I've heard the braised vegetables and polenta are excellent at the Oasis. Sadly, the Oasis Restaurant will probably close on March 21 unless Anayansi can find someone to take it over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Penny said:

Sadly, the Oasis Restaurant will probably close on March 21 unless Anayansi can find someone to take it over.

That's too bad! That's a nice place!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Penny said:

My vegetarian daughter is coming for a visit. She eats dairy products but no fish or meat. Looking for suggestions for restaurants that have a couple of vegetarian options on the menu.

Thanks for all suggestions. I've heard the braised vegetables and polenta are excellent at the Oasis. Sadly, the Oasis Restaurant will probably close on March 21 unless Anayansi can find someone to take it over.

 

Oh no.  The Oasis is one of the greatest eateries in Boquete. Many good memories for us (great food, wonderful staff, and special dinners with dancing performances). And Calixto is one of the best waiters in town.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marcelyn said:

 

Oh no.  The Oasis is one of the greatest eateries in Boquete. Many good memories for us (great food, wonderful staff, and special dinners with dancing performances). And Calixto is one of the best waiters in town.

Couldn't agree more!  Very sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Il Pianista (at the top of Alto LIno loop, near Palo Alto) is great for vegetarians.  They have excellent pastas and pizzas for vegetarians.  My favorite item on the menu is the artichoke calzone, the medium is bigger than one's head, I've never seen the large calzone, must be the size of one's leg.    They also have vegan appetizers.  

I hope the Oasis is saved by someone.  It has such a great atmosphere and is centrally located.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're right. I'd forgotten about the Pianista. I love the calzones. I usually take half home. Once they gave me a large by mistake and it made at least 3 meals.

Speaking of calzones, Papa Rico's has pretty good calzones. Not good pizza; but pretty good calzones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big daddy's has veggie tacos and a couple of other things. Mike's has felafel. Milan Italia, Retrogusto, Antojitos, Tre scalini, Otto, Apizza, Colibri and Panamonte, all have vegetarian. La Posada has a yummy veggie kabob. I've heard the Peruvian restaurants will also do vegetarian on request. There's no shortage of choices. Some are very good, some are marginal.

Edited by Jim and Judi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big Daddy's also has a veggie burger that is quite good and you can get veggie pizza anywhere they serve pizza.  I like La Posadas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the advantage or reason why someone would be a vegetarian. Maybe allergies, personal preference to just not eat meat? Only asking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some believe it is healthier for a variety of reasons. Some do not eat meat because of love for animals and/or because of inhumane raising and slaughtering animals for food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Pat said:

What is the advantage or reason why someone would be a vegetarian. Maybe allergies, personal preference to just not eat meat? Only asking.

About 10 years ago, Jim was prescribed a medication to control high cholesterol. He's extremely fit, 165 lbs and an avid cyclist. So we did some research and started playing around with diet. We found that after removing meat his cholesterol lowered 23 points in two months. After removing dairy, his cholesterol lowered another 30 in three months. We don't pay for meds and our grocery bill has been cut in half. It's a no brainier for us.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like Judi and JIm, I too cut out meat (I still sometimes eat poultry and fish) for health reasons.  Doctors wanted me to control my colitis with steroids and inflammation controlling drugs but I wanted to find a better method.  I experimented with food and found that I felt much better not eating red meat and eating more veggies.  While I do occasionally still have a flareups based on more emotional issues, I am so much better and do not take any drugs.  While I am not sure about Panama's red meat, meat in the U.S. is full of antibiotics, hormones and steroids which I think contribute to a lot of digestive issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×