Cleaning of Septic Tanks/Drain Lines

1 minute ago, TwoSailors said:

Short of having your tank back up into your house, is there any other warning signs ones septic needs pumping?  What size generally are these tanks?

Thanks

Good question. I have never even thought about this being an issue. Awaiting some feedback.

A related question now is about the use of Chlorox or chlorine-based products in things like a clothes washer or to disinfect a toilet, etc. What is the right thing to do here regarding septic tanks?

1 hour ago, TwoSailors said:

What size generally are these tanks?

In our area they are huge. I would estimate that ours is about 400 cubic ft. or 3000 U.S. gallons.

about the use of Chlorox or chlorine-based products in things like a clothes washer or to disinfect a toilet

"Chlorine bleach in moderate amounts isn't as bad for a septic system as you may have heard. But even a little drain cleaner may be terrible. One study found that it took nearly two gallons of liquid bleach but only about a teaspoon of chemical drain cleaner to kill the beneficial bacteria in a septic tank."

Edited by Keith Woolford

I was a general contractor for 35 years back in the States and Keith's statement about the Chlorine is correct. I hadn't heard about the drain cleaner but that also makes sense to me. One thing that all my septic installers recommended was the addition of Rid-x or some other septic bacteria on a regular basis to make sure you maintain a health septic tank. http://www.rid-x.com/

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jude Schmidt said:

I was a general contractor for 35 years back in the States and Keith's statement about the Chlorine is correct. I hadn't heard about the drain cleaner but that also makes sense to me. One thing that all my septic installers recommended was the addition of Rid-x or some other septic bacteria on a regular basis to make sure you maintain a health septic tank. http://www.rid-x.com/

Where is Rid-X available locally? I don't recall having seen it.

Edited by Bonnie

13 hours ago, Jude Schmidt said:

Thanks, Good advice!

I just wanted to provide an update and a recommendation ..... we went with Servicios Sanitarios Santamaria (772-6136) or (6500-2043).  The two men who showed up were very polite, professional and did a great job!!!   I've used several companies back in the U.S. and these gentlemen were so much better than them.  

They pumped out two tanks and cleaned out two drain lines.  Very nice work and clean.  I recommend them if you need septic or drainage work.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Whskyman said:

I just wanted to provide an update and a recommendation ..... we went with Servicios Sanitarios Santamaria (772-6136) or (6500-2043).  The two men who showed up were very polite, professional and did a great job!!!   I've used several companies back in the U.S. and these gentlemen were so much better than them.  

They pumped out two tanks and cleaned out two drain lines.  Very nice work and clean.  I recommend them if you need septic or drainage work.

Do you mind telling what they charged you?