Pet Food News from PriceSmart

I recently inquired whether PriceSmart has stopped carrying the Kirkland maintenance cat food.  

here is the response I got on Feb 11.  So if you're a "consumer" of the cat food, count a couple weeks from the date I heard back from Melissa.

I’m very sorry about the inventory shortfalls of the KS Cat Food.  The supply is managed by our Inventory Control team that works in our San Diego offices.  We’ve experienced some major delays on transportation that put us in a bad position at the clubs.  Unfortunately it looks like the Cat Food won’t arrive for a couple more weeks.  It shipped last week from Miami.

These issues are rare and I’m confident that after we recover from this situation, we should be OK going forward.

Also, I’m happy to announce that we developed our own private label Dog, Puppy and Cat Food with high quality and value (comparable to KS).  It will be launching in Panama in the next several months; I’d be curious to hear your feedback on it once we are able to offer it.

Thank you!
Melissa Twohey, Vice President, Corporate Foods

Also, Melissa said that they will continue to carry both the Kirkland and their own label food for a time to see how they are received.  Per Melissa: "We’ll be watching the sales of the new Member’s Selection pet food before we make any decisions on the Kirkland."

Edited by Admin_01
inserted quoted text formatting and added a bit to the title
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Sassy Blake said:

Also, I’m happy to announce that we developed our own private label Dog, Puppy and Cat Food with high quality and value (comparable to KS).  It will be launching in Panama in the next several months; I’d be curious to hear your feedback on it once we are able to offer it.

So is this going to be PriceSmart labeled?

• Admin_01 changed the title to Pet Food News from PriceSmart

The last sentence I quoted from Melissa, "We’ll be watching the sales of the new Member’s Selection pet food before we make any decisions on the Kirkland," leads me to believe that the Member's Selection label is the Price Smart label.  

I see the MS label on some of the products I buy, but I didn't know it was the PriceSmart label.  I buy the Member's Selection extra virgin olive oil, for instance.

So if Member's Selection is the PriceSmart label, then the dog, puppy, and cat food will be Member's Selection, not PriceSmart.

I'll confirm with Melissa and post it.

• 1 month later...

Can you share how you contacted this person? I have been waiting for dog biscuits for weeks and have received conflicting reports here in Panama regarding their availability. 

fordogs@howlingsuccess.com

Kirkland dog food is highly rated on DogFoodAdvisor. I'm going to be curiously guarded when considering Member's Select. 

I've noticed many products switching over and I've been waiting for the dog food. 

Several year ago I had problems with PriceSmart getting answers for something I had ordered online which didn't come and didn't come and didn't come.  I ended up calling their Corporate Office in San Diego.  It took some perseverance to get to the right person but I eventually asked "Why the Delay/What is Their Solution/When I Would Receive the Item."  I took the lady's name and said I would keep calling until I received what I had ordered.  It worked, I picked up the item in PriceSmart the following week.  Can't remember the lady's name but the phone number for the Corporate Office is 858-404-8800.  It might be worth giving them a call to keep those doggies happy.
The Corporate Office is open 8 AM to 5 PM Monday through Friday Pacific Daylight Time.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Marion said:

Several year ago I had problems with PriceSmart getting answers for something I had ordered online which didn't come and didn't come and didn't come.  I ended up calling their Corporate Office in San Diego.  It took some perseverance to get to the right person but I eventually asked "Why the Delay/What is Their Solution/When I Would Receive the Item."  I took the lady's name and said I would keep calling until I received what I had ordered.  It worked, I picked up the item in PriceSmart the following week.  Can't remember the lady's name but the phone number for the Corporate Office is 858-404-8800.  It might be worth giving them a call to keep those doggies happy.
The Corporate Office is open 8 AM to 5 PM Monday through Friday Pacific Daylight Time.

Great info, Marion. Thanks so much.

3 hours ago, JohnF13 said:

Kinda related, for those of us who are fans of fresh step kitty litter, the mystery over its disappearance is resolved.  It is back, smaller size and more money.  Guess Pricesmart is thinking consumers have short memories.

Thank goodness it's back.  But, who knew before moving here that I'd have to give up luxuries if I wanted decent cat litter?    Crazy.  You'd think it was a scientific achievement of the century.

On 4/13/2018 at 11:03 AM, KrisDogMom said:

That's what I'm trying to figure out. We were first told it was an issue with shipping. Now we keep hearing "they are coming". Well, they're not. This is why I'm trying to find a contact in the US to find out exactly what is going on. 

what i have heard is that they are converting the dog biscuits from the packaging showing Kirkland to the new one that will be called Members Selection.  As to when we will see either of these is anybodies guess.   I am very grateful to have discovered this thread about all things relating to PS.  Thank goodness for that!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2018 at 6:58 PM, KrisDogMom said:

Can you share how you contacted this person? I have been waiting for dog biscuits for weeks and have received conflicting reports here in Panama regarding their availability. 

fordogs@howlingsuccess.com

Kirkland dog food is highly rated on DogFoodAdvisor. I'm going to be curiously guarded when considering Member's Select. 

I've noticed many products switching over and I've been waiting for the dog food. 

Shopping at PriceSmart yesterday (along with maybe 300 other people) and noticed only Kirkland dog food available was for small dogs; no dog biscuits, and no salmon capsules for pets.

Saw Christmas decorations in the back aisles. Hope this doesn’t mean decorations instead of pet supplies will be possible.

Please post if you find Kirkland food on the shelf and we will return to David.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 8:29 AM, Marcelyn said:

Shopping at PriceSmart yesterday (along with maybe 300 other people) ......

Despite my complaints that PriceSmart is often out of the things I'd LIKE to buy regularly, I'm grateful they are in David. At least I can buy some items that I can't find elsewhere. But as often happens, they had no ground turkey logs (which have increased in price when they DO have them), no fresh or frozen turkey wings...plus several other things on my shopping list.

Yes, Bud, those 300 people were trying to check out with most of the cajas closed. My big complaint is that they have no concern for customer service. Yesterday (Wednesday) at 1:00 pm, there were 3 cajas open and 6 closed. People in lines for the 3 open cajas stretched all the way back to the refrigerated section. It wasn't that way in the past, but now it is the norm. And I try my best NOT to shop at PriceSmart near a payday or a holiday. The situation is even more horrible at those times.

I don't know if this is within Sissy Blake's "job description," but if so, could she please pass the word up to the powers that be? I'm not the only one who has complaints about the long line and closed cajas. Whatever, though, I guess we're a "captive audience."

No, Dottie, you are not a captive audience.  When we shop there we fill up our cart, get into the line and then decide if it is worth our time.  On many occasions I have left a cart full of stuff and walked out.  But, that’s us, passive agressive I think is the term.  I can find pretty much everything I need at other stores and if it wasn’t for paper goods I would have a hard time justifying the annual fee.

16 hours ago, Graciela said:

YESTERDAY PS HAD KIRKLAND ADULT DOG FOOD BUT ALAS NO KIRKLAND BISCUITS.  KEEP THE PRESSURE UP.

Yes, we just found Kirkland dog food available at PriceSmart.

Funny thing:  As we waited for employee to “check us out of the store” I noticed that about every third basket of purchases contained dog food. ?

14 minutes ago, JohnF13 said:

No, Dottie, you are not a captive audience.  When we shop there we fill up our cart, get into the line and then decide if it is worth our time.  On many occasions I have left a cart full of stuff and walked out.  But, that’s us, passive agressive I think is the term.  I can find pretty much everything I need at other stores and if it wasn’t for paper goods I would have a hard time justifying the annual fee.

John, I've done the "walk out" at other stores, DoIt Center for one, for something I "need" but not right away. But at PriceSmart, everything I have in my cart is something I need right then that I can't find elsewhere. Like 4 to 6 bags of Kirkland dog food. (I buy the 20-lb bags, not the 40, because I can lift those!)

• 3 weeks later...

BAD NEWS FOR DOG OWNER'S WHOSE DOGS LOVE KIRKLAND DOG BISCUITS. TODAY, FOR THE UMPTEENTH  TIME, WE VISITED PRICESMART LOOKING FOR THE KIRKLAND BRAND DOG BISCUITS. THEY HAD NONE. A PRICESMART EMPLOYEE WAS TAKING INVENTORY WITH TWO HELPERS CLOSE TO THE DOG FOOD AILE. MY WIFE INQUIRED ABOUT THE KIRKLAND DOG BISCUITS, THE EMPLOYEE CHECKED HER COMPUTER AND SAID NONE WERE ON ORDER FOR THE PANAMA PRICESMARTS BUT  THE KIRKLAND DOG BISCUITS WERE BEING DELIVERED TO OTHER LATIN AMERICAN PRICESMART STORES. WE TOLD HER THAT MANY PEOPLE LIKED THAT BRAND. ON THE WAY OUT OF THE STORE, AT THE HELP DESK, I SPOKE TO AN EMPLOYEE ABOUT THAT AND SHE TOOK MY NAME AND NUMBER.  I THINK IT MIGHT BE GOOD FOR OTHER DOG OWNERS WHO HAD BOUGHT  THE KIRKLAND BISCUITS  BEFORE TO VOICE THEIR OPINION WHEN SHOPPING AT PRICESMART, WHO KNOWS, THEY MIGHT ORDER SOME IN THE FUTURE.  KEEP THE PRESSURE UP!!!