Keith Woolford

Clamping Down on Speeders, Impaired Drivers, Hit & Runs, Scofflaws, and The Towing of Vehicles [An Ongoing Saga As Occurring]

In my opinion, more attention is required to be paid to 'moving' violations.

Over 700,000 Transit Violations in First Seven Months of 2017

Between 1 January and 31 July 2017 703.242 violations have been recorded, the transit authority (ATTT) reported Thursday.

Toll Fees:  In the first place with 305.851 faults is the lack of sufficient balance on Corredor Passes which allow travel on toll highways and corridors. Corresponds to the infringement No.71, according to the Department of Minor Infractions of the ATTT.

Parking: Followed by this, the most common infraction is No.64 or by vehicle parked wrong with 62.294 offenses. On the other hand, the inspectors of the ATTT and agents of the National Transit

NO Stopping Zone:  Oerations of the National Police detected 62.141 drivers who were punished for neglecting the lines of "Don't stop", pedestrian and indications of inspectors through the infringement No. 69.

Speeding:  38.132 other drivers were caught exceeding the speed limits

Obstructing Traffic: 23.283 were sanctioned for driving obstructing traffic

No License:  15.112 were punished for not carrying a license.

Careless Driving: The ATTT explained that imposed a total of 14.228 offenses for driving in a haphazard manner;

Cel Phone Use:  13.905 talking on the phone

Prohibited Turns :   13.641 and by making turns prohibited.

Among other infractions described by the ATTT are

U-Turns and Driving on the Wrong Side of the Road:  12.067 by driving on contrary or turn in the form of "U" on the track,

No Insurance:  while other 9.017 were punished by not having liability insurance in force.

Drunk Driving:   A total of 4.162 drivers were caught in a drunken state, 

Alcohol on Breath:    2.607 for driving with breath alcohol and

Pirate Public Transport:  2.079 to provide the service of public transport vehicle is not authorized.

Info from Telemetro   http://www.telemetro.com/nacionales/ATTT-registra-infracciones-primeros-meses_0_1050495742.html

I had no idea there is a law against obstructing traffic. Surely it is the most ignored and least enforced. Everywhere there are drivers parked in thru lanes and drivers stopped in the middle of the road to visit with friends. The infraction of incorrect parking runs a close second. I've never seen any evidence of these two laws being enforced--at least in Boquete. My guess is that historically Boquete has been so small that it was easy to go around a stopped car and easy to ignore bad parking because there was plenty of parking space. That's no longer the case. The enforcement of the laws hasn't kept up with the times.

Is there a place to check violations online? I am sure I have two for not having a pass for the toll roads.

Thanks

This weekend:

5,158 tickets issued

1,344 for Speeding

150 for DUI

372 Vehicles Towed

5 Fatalities 

Edited by Keith Woolford

10 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

This weekend:

5,158 tickets issued

1,344 for Speeding

150 for DUI

372 Vehicles Towed

Those numbers seem a long way from the ‘no enforcement’ standards that some people claim are prevalent, and I doubt very much all the sanctions were issued as a result of ‘checking documents’ and soliciting bribes. I think folks need to recognize that the Police and the Transit Authority are constantly increasing efforts to do their part to decrease traffic fatalities, because its the nuts behind the wheels that need tightening.

These cops have to attend at horrible crashes and then go home with memories of mangled bodies so I think they can become invested in the work.

Personally, I think heavy fines, towing, and licence suspensions are required. That’s what got the highways under control in N.A., anyway.

Doug mentioned bribes, it’s a good point except I honestly believe that culture is diminishing. I drive a lot, and in over thirteen years have been stopped a number of times, but have never actually been ‘proposed to’ by a Tránsito

What would be interesting to know is how many people on this Forum have, first hand, been asked outright for a bribe by a Police officer?

Not interested in third party stories, or cases where a bribe was offered by the offender.

Edited by Keith Woolford

A year or so ago I accidentally got onto the toll way at Albrook. It's not that hard to do if you're unfamiliar with the roads. I don't have a Panapass, but there is no way to turn around.  I stopped at the toll plaza and an officer instructed me to pull over to the shoulder. He ran my license, and eventually wrote $10 on a scrap of paper and handed it to me and then walked to passenger side window, presumably blocking the view of any cameras. To be clear, he didn't actually ask for a bribe. However, I did pull $10 out of my wallet, and he took it and pointed to the next exit and waved goodbye. 

You be the judge. Maybe it was just a "spot fine."

• Haha 1

Me too. Bribe requested from me in David. Personally I would like to see more patrolling on the road to Boquete, seems like much crashes lately.

11,120 speeding tickets in January

cop-620x264.jpg
Post Views: 119

SPEEDING Panama drivers collected    11,120 tickets in January and another 2,112  were handed out for badly parked vehicles says the Directorate of Traffic Operations (DNOT).  

Those who can’t resist using a cell phone while driving got 837. Vehicles without license plates received  80 tickets and those with expired plates, 663.

Impaired drivers earned  690 fines plus towing and license suspension.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/11120-speeding-tickets-january

Continue to see people’s complaints on social media about vehicles being ‘improperly’ towed by the Police.

A car can be towed for any of the following reasons.

• No. 8.   Mechanical defects or body damage
  • No. 12  Vehicles without a valid Plate
  • No. 28  No Drivers License
  • No. 29  Permitting an unlicensed driver to operate the vehicle
  • No. 30  Refusing to stop when obligated
  • No. 34  Providing unauthorized public transport
  • No. 34* Providing unauthorized public transport on the Corredores
  • No. 46  Driving while intoxicated
  • No. 61  Abandoning a vehicle on a public highway 
  • No. 65  Parking in a spot reserved for the Disabled
  • No. 68  Street racing
  • No. 70  No Insurance document
  • No. 64  Improperly parked vehicle

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

There were plenty of Tránsito Police and several Transit Authority inspection checkpoints on the highway coming from Panama today. They are ramping up for the Carnaval long weekend. 

The word is that the Caldera checkpoint has been very hard on drinking drivers returning from David late at night and during the early hours of the morning lately. Lots of towing.

Edited by Keith Woolford

On 2/8/2018 at 8:37 PM, Keith Woolford said:

There were plenty of Tránsito Police and several Transit Authority inspection checkpoints on the highway coming from Panama today. They are ramping up for the Carnaval long weekend. 

The word is that the Caldera checkpoint has been very hard on drinking drivers returning from David late at night and during the early hours of the morning lately. Lots of towing.

Background:

When Marcelyn and I travel to PC by auto, we make a game of counting the number of police checkpoints for checking for the speeding (and other unsafe) drivers. Up until late 2017, we typically would see four to as many as about eight checkpoints. That number reflects the number of checkpoints, NOT the number of police, as some checkpoints may have two or three police at the ready. Then in December 2017 we broke a record with 27 checkpoints.

Current Story:

We returned from PC late yesterday (Friday, February 9th), and broke the previous record by more than double. We counted 56 (!) checkpoints. They were on both sides of the roadway, and the impression we got was that they were wanting their abundant presence known to all. As Keith posted, this obviously is to help minimize the carnage during the Carnavales period that is beginning now.

We were stopped twice yesterday to check us out in more detail. One of those checkpoints -- at the inspection stop at Guaybalá -- was a bit frustrating because it involved about a 35 minute stop. They had about a 2 KM backup on the westbound roadway (that included us). We presumed that they had some kind of incident going on, because for about 20 of those 35 minutes no one was moving. And then the queue slowly began moving.

When we were positioned third in the queue, the police did ask the driver and occupants of the vehicle then undergoing review to exit their vehicle and then they opened all the doors and were extremely thorough looking in, around, and under that vehicle. Eventually the occupants returned to their vehicle and departed without incident.

As we started our turn at the gauntlet, we encountered both police as well as immigration officials. The police asked for driver license and were looking intently inside of our vehicle. We were not asked for insurance or other documentation (e.g., registration, etc.) by the police officer. Then the immigration officer swapped positions with the police officer and the first words spoken were to present our passports. (We obviously look like gringos, natch.) Instead we both presented our cedulas, and everything was in order.

Both the police officer and the immigration officer were professional and polite -- but very meticulous and thorough. The driver license and the cedula were carefully read, not just glanced at.

Our second encounter with more than just a wave and "adelante" was on the Gualaca/Caldera bypass (we don't go through David). Their location was just a few kilometers from the commercial truck weigh station. This again was a full stop, but fortunately the queue was considerably shorter. Driver license was requested, and it was scanned by a smartphone, and then apparently a database was being queried. There were two policemen in the roadway center, plus two police vehicles, one on either side of the road, with another police officer standing by each. They were stopping both directions and thoroughly checking a database. No one was being waved on through without having been checked.

Not complaining here. In fact, we are kinda pleased to see that public safety resources are making their presence well known. The only bad side of our experiences yesterday was to lose about 45 minutes to waiting, thus delaying our arrival at our home.

• Upvote 1

Police and tow trucks hit Carnival drivers jackpot

cops-620x264.jpg
Post Views: 206

BY EARLY afternoon on Sunday, February 11,  the National Traffic Operations Directorate of the National Police, had handed out  2, 416 tickets, of which 115 were for proven impaired driving and  549 for speeding.

Some 222 vehicles were towed . while  119 traffic accidents left   30 people injured, several seriously, and one person was killed . on the Panamericana highway,  in Arraiján, Panamá Oeste bringing the year’s traffic death toll to 40.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/police-tow-trucks-hit-carnival-drivers-jackpot

I have never been asked for a “spot tax” in my 5 years here.  Been stopped plenty of times, usually just to check my licence, a lot of the time I am just waved through.  I do have a pretty good rapport with the local check point guys and give them cold water and cookies every now and again.  The head of the police in dolega knows I am a retired copper and has dropped in once or twice for help in getting repairs done to various police vehicles.  I have no problem with that and consider it community service

• Upvote 3

On 2/8/2018 at 8:37 PM, Keith Woolford said:

To expand on the above, nothing can be expired. Please check that the info on your policy is correct. A lady got towed for a typo on her policy. Also, many don't know that you will get towed after driving past 90 days on your tourist visa. For tourist having copies rather than having your original passport can get you towed.

Carnival brought bumper crop of tickets

ticketing-drivers-480x264.jpg
Post Views: 128

POLICE MONITORING some 152,055 vehicles on the road for Carnival festivities handed out a bumper crop of 13,077 tickets for driving infractions, the majority for speeding and impaired driving.

There were 505 accidents resulting in 163 people injured according to a report of the Joint Task Force (FTC) at a Thursday, February 15 press conference,

Over one million people attended celebrations in the interior with 400,000 traveling by bus from Albrook terminal.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/carnival-brought-bumper-crop-tickets

Moderator comment: There is a topic related to Guillermo Ferrufino (mentioned in this reply and a few subsequent postings, and his alleged corrupt practices. For additional details see http://www.chiriqui.life/topic/7445-guillermo-ferrufino-former-minister-of-social-development-charged-with-unjustified-personal-enrichment.[Comment added 28 February 2019.]

Fairgoers take note.

Police at the Caldera checkpoint are looking for folks returning from David who've had a few too many.

Busted for drinking and driving on the way home last night was former Social Development Minister Guillermo Ferrufino. He was also driving with an expired license.

He is still facing money laundering charges from acts of corruption committed during the previous government.

He was the one of the guys who cried when he was busted, not from guilt or remorse, but because he got caught and knew he was going to jail.

image.png.6cbb47da3811c3901ef88a396bdb5ff0.png   image.thumb.png.61ed82f3bd864b43804fc0c208cc0956.png

https://www.prensa.com/judiciales/Tribunal-casacion-exministro-Guillermo-Ferrufino_0_4974252540.html

Edited 1 minute ago by Keith Woolford

Facing money laundering rap, ex-Minster  booked for drunk driving

Ferrufino-detenerse-Caldera-distrito-Boquete_LPRIMA20180318_0017_27-620x264.jpg 
FERRUFINO'S impounded vehicle
Post Views: 167

Ex Social Development Minister Guillermo Ferrufino  under country arrest while awaiting trial for alleged  money laundering  was booked for impaired driving and driving with an expired rove drunk and with an expired license at dawn on  Sunday, the March 18  in Caldera, at the entrance to the Boquete district in  Chiriqui,
Guillermo-Ferrufino_LPRIMA20150225_0178_23-300x169.jpg

Ferrufino became tearful at an earlier hearing

Ferrufino had to stop at a checkpoint  Where the agents of the National Police verified that he was driving with an expired license. A breathalyzer test showed that he was driving with 65 micrograms per deciliter when the maximum allowed is 28.

According to the level of drunkenness reports La Prensa from 5-24 (micrograms per deciliter) a warning is given; 25-40 gets a  $150; ticket: 41 or more is proven drunkenness, with a $ 150 fine, and car towed and retained.

Ferrufino’s vehicle was confiscated and he had to leave with relatives.

Ferrufino, who once had presidential ambitions but was told by then-president  Ricardo Martinelli to lower his sights to the Panama mayoralty,  has the precautionary measure of country jail after spending time in preventive detention

On February 27 the Second Superior Court of Justice did not grant an appeal filed by the defense of Ferrufino and Marta Herrera,  against the decision of the Second Court, which maintained the Money Laundering process against   Ferrufino and Herrera for money laundering.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/facing-money-laundering-rap-ex-minster-booked-for-drunk-driving

No surprise here. Prosecutors want a change in Ferrufino’s bail conditions because of this incident. 

Edited by Keith Woolford

Most of the problem is old retired drunk idiots here thinking they are above the law and drive drunk, and the stupid Panamanians that can't drive for ****!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

I wish ATTT would pay attention to the speeders in Volcan. They could no doubt collect $1,000 or more per day in fines (plus help reduce the number of dangerous speeders!). Long ago I sent them a message of this fact via Twitter. No response, no results.