Environmentalists gather 18 tons tourist trash

• Moderators

Environmentalists gather 18 tons tourist trash

garbage-620x264.jpg 
Clean-up volunteers
Post Views: 225

OVER 18 TONS  of garbage, were collected from Monagre beach, a favorite tourist spot in Santa Ana de Los Santos on t Saturday, January 27.

The clean up included large amounts of plastic containers left by visitors and was the initiative of the environmental group Mundo Verde (Green World) was supported by the mayor’s office and the Municipal Council of Los Santos.

Pablo Bermúdez, executive director of the nongovernmental organization  said

“We collected glass, plastic bags, glasses and bottles, cans, among other types of garbage that the bathers leave when they visit this tourist spot, ”

Bermudez urged the mayor Santeño Maxiliano Amaya to impose more severe sanctions on those who care very little the coastal ecosystem.

In the coming weeks, Mundo Verde will bring in heavy equipment to move tree trunks scattered on the beach.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/environmentalists-gather-18-tons-tourist-trash

If the implication is that all this trash is attributable to foreign visitors, that is nonsense. Panama is in great need of an anti-litter campaign for its own citizens and I can't understand why they have not done so years ago.

Secondly, if this is a popular beach and this type of garbage is a continuing problem, why not put some trash barrels there? And some signs telling beach-goers to leave no trash on the beach?

It's not necessary to wait until there is 18 tons of loose litter on the beach before doing something about the problem. 

I agree wholeheartedly, Doug. Very few Panamanians have any sense of trash being trash. When they're through with something, they just drop it. Hardly a day goes by that I don't witness this. And it's hard to find a trash barrel anywhere.

I'm old enough to remember when the U.S. was trashy--prior to the "Don't Be a Litterbug" campaign, which was wildly successful.

Agree with all of that Doug.  Here in Porterillos some concerned folks gather up the garbage and put it in garbage bags.  But, the town won't collect the bags.  Result?  Obvious.  Bags get broken and the trash is scattered until someone picks it up again.  Depressing really, as the administration here wants to promote the area as a scenic place.  How much would it cost to pick this stuff up?  Much less than the cost of a stadium, a new park and all the fancy new bus stops they have here.

If the bureaucrats think this doesn’t matter to tourists, they’re wrong. I’ve heard a number say that they’re disgusted by the garbage. And by the sidewalks, which are perilous. If Boquete aspires to being a long-term tourist destination, they’re going to have to deal with this kind of thing.

• Upvote 1

On 1/28/2018 at 7:25 PM, Bonnie said:

If the bureaucrats think this doesn’t matter to tourists, they’re wrong. I’ve heard a number say that they’re disgusted by the garbage. And by the sidewalks, which are perilous. If Boquete aspires to being a long-term tourist destination, they’re going to have to deal with this kind of thing.

I would think it costs nearly zero dollars to start promoting anti-littering in schools.  A few field trips for the kids to participate in trash pickup, might make them start telling their parents and friends to stop dropping cans, bottles, trash as soon as they are empty.   But, as JohnF noted, if it is picked up and placed in bags, the bags need to be picked up before they are torn open by the many street dogs, or otherwise re-opened and re-spread along the roads. 

The idea of sidewalk repair is too elusive for me to even contemplate, but that would be a real boon to the tourism industry and us locals.  I'd also like to see a good face-lift on downtown buildings that include minor repairs and colorful paints.  Watching people take pictures at the bridge when the flowers are in bloom shows how people appreciate the beauty and color.  Paint  doesn't cost that much.  Seems like some "Paint Paradise" group could organize to paint a few buildings each year as a volunteer project (split the cost with the building owner, perhaps?)

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Palo Alto Jo said:

The idea of sidewalk repair is too elusive for me to even contemplate, but that would be a real boon to the tourism industry and us locals. 

The Mayor has given lip service to fixing the sidewalks once the roads are done. They're a disgrace.