iPhone problem during power outage

Bonnie,

Either Mas Movil doesn't have battery backup on your local node or any intermediate node connecting to the main office, or they do and their battery backup was exhausted by the time you attempted to access the Internet. 

In my previous residence, Cable Onda did not have battery backup on our local node.  Where I am now they do but it only lasted a couple of hours this morning before their batteries were exhausted.

I have an Android phone,  so this may be irrelevant. But when the internet is down and I am at home and want to access it using phone data, I have to turn the WiFi off on my phone. If I don’t,  the phone still is locked onto my home WiFi and it won't use data. Your home WiFi is still generating a signal even though the internet is down. 

I have to turn the WiFi off on my phone. If I don’t,  the phone still is locked onto my home WiFi and it won't use data

I do this whenever I am somewhere where errant Wifi signals can interfere with 3G data service.

MasMovil 3G data service on my iPhone worked fine all morning, by the way. Used it right up until the electrical service was restored.

1 hour ago, Uncle Doug said:

I have an Android phone,  so this may be irrelevant. But when the internet is down and I am at home and want to access it using phone data, I have to turn the WiFi off on my phone. If I don’t,  the phone still is locked onto my home WiFi and it won't use data. Your home WiFi is still generating a signal even though the internet is down. 

Interesting.  I gave up smartphones when I retired and use them casually now so I'm only a novice user.  I thought the days of this problem were long gone in that the software didn't possess the ability to detect whether or not the Internet was actually available and reported that it was simply because the local link was still active. 

I bet someone has written an app to solve this problem.