Weather Alert -- Winds, Waves, Rain

• Moderators

WEATHER ALERT, Winds, waves, rain

colon-2-620x264.jpg 
Colon braces for more rflooding
Post Views: 229

ANOTHER   weather alert was issued by The Emergency Operations Center (COE) of the National Civil Protection System (Sinaproc). on Friday, January  12   forecasting t strong winds, waves and up to 200 mm of rain in some areas on Sunday. January 14.

The blame for the unseasonable rain, in what should be the dry seas is laid on a continuing  Caribbean cold front according to an Etesa Hydrometeorology report.

For  Saturday afternoon, light rains were expected over Chiriquí, Veraguas, Los Santos, Herrera, Coclé and Darién and heavier showers scattered over Chiriqui

(David, and  high parts of the mountain range), Bocas del Toro, Santiago de Veraguas, Los Santos (Valle Rico, Tonosí), Colón (center, coast) Panama East and Darién (Piriatí and Cañazas), with  evening rainfall is forecast over Colon and Panama  city, heavy rains in Los Santos (Tonosí, Guanico and Pedregal), Darién (Congo River, Cucunatí, La Palma, Santa Fe, Garachiné, and in the Emberá Wounaan region (Taimatí, Sategantí).

From the early morning of Sunday light to moderate rainfall over the province of Colon and Panama City, with accumulations in 10 hours of approximately 100 to 150mm and in some locations up to 200mm.

For Darien heavy rains are expected mainly in the communities of Río Congo, Cucunatí, Garachiné, Sambú, Taimatí, Puerto Piña, Jaqué, Tucutí, Boca de Cupé and Payá, as well as the Emberá Wounaan. region

The COE called on the population to adopt preventive measures for the increase in winds and strong waves.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/weather-alert-winds-waves-rain

Warnings of high winds, rough seas and all around nasty weather on the Caribbean side didn't keep people off the water in the province of Bocas del Toro.

Three people perished yesterday after a boat carrying seventeen passengers capsized in Bahia Azul between Kusapin and Isla Colon.

In a separate incident, seven others were rescued after an alcohol impaired 'captain' flipped his launch between Playa Estrella and Isla Colon.

Edited by Keith Woolford

• Moderators

Strong Waves Alert

waves-620x264.jpg
Post Views: 231

STRONG WAVES of five to seven feet at intervals of  5-9 secs are predicted for Panama’s Atlantic and Pacific coasts until Wednesday, January 17.

The notice was issued by the Government Information Service on Sunday and runs until next Wednesday, January 17.

Boaters and bathers are warned to be extra cautious,

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/strong-waves-alert

• Moderator_02 changed the title to Weather Alert -- Winds, Waves, Rain

It's not unusual in the sense that it always rains during the week of the Fair, but certainly the wind and the long-lasting  nature is unusual. We had a similarly long bad weather streak in December (at least on my side of town), making it feel like the rain hasn't stopped in an eon. It's depressing. My Amazon bill is going to be out of sight as a result of downloading books and movies.

45 minutes ago, Bonnie said:

It's not unusual in the sense that it always rains during the week of the Fair, but certainly the wind and the long-lasting  nature is unusual. 

In seven years of observing NASA satellites I have never seen a disruptive weather pattern during any previous Feria like this one.

Bleak. 

The current sun cycle is extremely weak, and is predicted to weaken further, i.e. with a much reduced number of sunspots. The graph issued by NOAA measures the sun's energy output, and I note the much lower recent peak in 2014 compared to the peak back in 2002-3. The last cycle low occurred in the 2008-2010 time frame, which happens to be the time when the Panamonte bridge was taken out and other flood events occurred.

The way to bet is for very tough winters in the next few years in the Northern Hemisphere.

Cycle.jpg

6 hours ago, Jim Bondoux said:

The current sun cycle is extremely weak, and is predicted to weaken further, i.e. with a much reduced number of sunspots. The graph issued by NOAA measures the sun's energy output, and I note the much lower recent peak in 2014 compared to the peak back in 2002-3. The last cycle low occurred in the 2008-2010 time frame, which happens to be the time when the Panamonte bridge was taken out and other flood events occurred.

The way to bet is for very tough winters in the next few years in the Northern Hemisphere.

Cycle.jpg

6 hours ago, Jim Bondoux said:

Cycle.jpg

For those like me who are not familiar with the impact of sun spot activity and our local weather, could someone please enlighten me?

Part of me now questions whether the global warming thing is really about sun sport variations or cycles (or whatever they are called). I hope the moderators don't slam me for taking this in a new direction.

BD, trying to stay away from controversy here, but there is a mathmatical pattern to sun spot activity (Dr Google will help here).  Over the centuries it has been noted that more activity equals warmer temps and less cooler temps.  There is now an argument gaining strength amost some climatologists that we could be entering a mild cooling phase.  If you can, compare sunspot activity/temperature corelation over the last 1000 years and compare that accuracy with the predictions of the global warming folks.  It is instructive to say the least.

1 hour ago, JohnF13 said:

BD, trying to stay away from controversy here, but there is a mathmatical pattern to sun spot activity (Dr Google will help here).  Over the centuries it has been noted that more activity equals warmer temps and less cooler temps.  There is now an argument gaining strength amost some climatologists that we could be entering a mild cooling phase.  If you can, compare sunspot activity/temperature corelation over the last 1000 years and compare that accuracy with the predictions of the global warming folks.  It is instructive to say the least.

I had some of the same questions as BD as it has been colder this year than any of the previous 10 years I've lived in Boquete. Google came up with the following article from a credible source that addresses the issue without bias:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/sun-spots-and-climate-change/

This is not an invitation to debate climate change, which would be inappropriate on a Boquete forum. Rather, it is offered to aid those scientifically-challenged among us in understanding what we're experiencing.

1 hour ago, Bonnie said:

I had some of the same questions as BD as it has been colder this year than any of the previous 10 years I've lived in Boquete. Google came up with the following article from a credible source that addresses the issue without bias:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/sun-spots-and-climate-change/

This is not an invitation to debate climate change, which would be inappropriate on a Boquete forum. Rather, it is offered to aid those scientifically-challenged among us in understanding what we're experiencing.

Very good read!

• Moderators

Moderator comment:

We were happy to see that BD's question was addressed, and that this thread did not go off-topic.It was a good question/issue, but with high potential for running amok -- but didn't. Thanks, Bonnie.

Kudos to all, and thank you BD. Even I learned something from your question.

Yesterday we were out on the Canal which made it was easy to see where the weather’s coming from.

It was bright but a bit overcast in the morning in Panama City.

At Gamboa, the mid-point between both oceans, it was cloudy with light showers.

The rain then really increased in intensity the closer we got to Colon and the Caribbean.

2 hours ago, Bonnie said:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/pa/national/satellite

Looks like no end in sight. I'm still imprisoned up here in Palo Alto because of the Feria and road work in Los Naranjos. And it's been cold and rainy--and sometimes windy--for days on end. Does anybody have any good news about the weather?

I don't have good news about the weather, but yesterday afternoon there was no road work being conducted in Los Naranjos between downtown and the Alto Lino loop.  It was still a bit bumpy but it was better than trying to navigate the Feria route.