Meet a Medical Professional -- Jessica Bell

Doug and Jo

• Moderators - Healthcare

Meet a Medical Professional

Jessica Bell, Physical Therapist

(By Jo Johnson)

I'm excited to start our new series where we will highlight a medical professional in Chiriqui Province.  I couldn't think of a better person to profile as the initial installment in this series than Jessica Bell.  

I had an inflamed Achilles heel last year and had allowed it to go on untreated for nearly a year.  As it continued to worsen I realized I needed to undergo a procedure in Houston.  I elected to try a stem cell injection, hoping to avoid surgery.  I was much improved, but still not able to walk on my treadmill the 3-5 miles per day that I wanted.  My Houston podiatrist suggested I go to some physical therapy sessions and simply told me to ask for "strength and agility" therapy.  I was crossing my fingers that those two words were sufficient here in Panama.

I was recommended three different physical therapists, and the first one that responded to my Whatsapp query was Jessica Bell, Licsa Physical Therapist.   I found in Jessica a gem.  She was professional, efficient, punctual, gentle, and an overall interesting person.  I'd like to share a little of what I found out about her as a person and as a professional. 

IMG_7878.thumb.jpg.67d5efb18483e96e637a4843cbe73762.jpg

The name "Bell" is a rare name for a Panamanian.   I assumed she was married to an ex-pat.  But, no, she is single.  The name actually comes from her great grandfather, Saturnino Bell, who came to Panama from Barcelona, Spain in 1900-1908.  He came with a Ferrocarril (railway) company working in Chiriqui and also to work on the construction of the Panama Canal.  He met and married a local Chiriqui woman and had three children, one being Jessica's grandfather, Dionisio Bell.  Unfortunately, Saturnino Bell, like many workers in those times, died of yellow fever while working on the Panama Canal.  Her grandfather has no memory of his father, but he is a legend in the family.  Jessica is proud of her heritage and unusual name, she plans to keep her name even if she marries, in order to keep the memory of her great grandfather for generations.

After Jessica graduated from 4 years of college, and passed her written and practical examinations, she and a classmate, Belkys Atencio, decided to move to where Jessica's family's originated and came to Chiriqui, specifically Boquete.  She chose Boquete because at the time there was no independent PT clinic in Boquete.  Even today, she is the only clinic not associated with another business or group. Their office is located next to Dr. Gomez's clinic, Clinica Especializada, across the street from Melo. 

Jessica and Belkys run their facility much like North Americans are accustomed to, with scheduled appointments which are kept in a timely manner.  However, they also spend afternoons working at the homes of people unable to get to the clinic, such as Hospice patients and others permanently or temporarily home-bound.  Approximately once a month she also offers 5-minute messages at Tuesday Market, which would be a great time to get to know her.  Her English is above average, but in her professional work, it is nearly perfect.  She has focused on English words that helps her communicate as a health professional more than in other situations.  She worries that her English isn't perfect, but most people will have no problem communicating with her.

She offers ultrasonic therapies, electrotherapy, heat, ice, massage (she has warm oils and strong hands), kinesiology tapings (very avant garde), and a huge variety of routines to strengthen and limber the muscles and joints.  For me, I was finished with my rehabilitation in two weeks, going 3 times a week for an hour each session (she also has Saturday clinic).  My podiatrist was impressed with the progress, and said she did similarly or better than PTs he uses in Houston.  I continue to use the procedures she showed me to ice or heat my heel before exercising and the simple warm up stretches to prevent a recurrence.  She is excellent at devising a plan to heal and then maintain the healing. 

A bit more about Jessica Bell's personal life.  When she isn't working hard building her practice and meeting patients, she likes to work out at a gym or go to a movie.   She is also working toward obtaining her Master's Degree within the next 5 years.  She regularly attends professional conferences to stay abreast of the latest technologies and reads professional journals in Physical Therapy.  She has to buy and maintain all her own equipment, which often requires her to purchase from outside Panama.  This means she must keep the equipment in good working order, as there is no local service available.  I was impressed watching her carefully clean and return equipment to their protective cases.

Every patient is treated with an individual plan, she keeps meticulous files on each patient following an initial assessment based on your history, X-rays, prescription and pain level, and personal ability to perform the recommended course of treatment.   You can see her with or without a prescription, with or without an injury, and perhaps just want the best message to feel energized.  You do want to make an appointment.  Call 6211-7011 or 6741-8115.  Jessica has agreed to take questions for the next two weeks, by email to health.info@chiriqui.life if any of our readers have questions or comments. 

Readers, if you know of a medical professional in Chiriqui Province that you would like to be highlighted in the future, please send suggestions by email to health.info@chiriqui.life .

20 hours ago, Doug and Jo said:

Meet a Medical Professional

Jessica Bell, Physical Therapist

(By Jo Johnson)

I'm excited to start our new series where we will highlight a medical professional in Chiriqui Province.  I couldn't think of a better person to profile as the initial installment in this series than Jessica Bell.  

I had an inflamed Achilles heel last year and had allowed it to go on untreated for nearly a year.  As it continued to worsen I realized I needed to undergo a procedure in Houston.  I elected to try a stem cell injection, hoping to avoid surgery.  I was much improved, but still not able to walk on my treadmill the 3-5 miles per day that I wanted.  My Houston podiatrist suggested I go to some physical therapy sessions and simply told me to ask for "strength and agility" therapy.  I was crossing my fingers that those two words were sufficient here in Panama.

I was recommended three different physical therapists, and the first one that responded to my Whatsapp query was Jessica Bell, Licsa Physical Therapist.   I found in Jessica a gem.  She was professional, efficient, punctual, gentle, and an overall interesting person.  I'd like to share a little of what I found out about her as a person and as a professional. 

IMG_7878.thumb.jpg.67d5efb18483e96e637a4843cbe73762.jpg

The name "Bell" is a rare name for a Panamanian.   I assumed she was married to an ex-pat.  But, no, she is single.  The name actually comes from her great grandfather, Saturnino Bell, who came to Panama from Barcelona, Spain in 1900-1908.  He came with a Ferrocarril (railway) company working in Chiriqui and also to work on the construction of the Panama Canal.  He met and married a local Chiriqui woman and had three children, one being Jessica's grandfather, Dionisio Bell.  Unfortunately, Saturnino Bell, like many workers in those times, died of yellow fever while working on the Panama Canal.  Her grandfather has no memory of his father, but he is a legend in the family.  Jessica is proud of her heritage and unusual name, she plans to keep her name even if she marries, in order to keep the memory of her great grandfather for generations.

After Jessica graduated from 4 years of college, and passed her written and practical examinations, she and a classmate, Belkys Atencio, decided to move to where Jessica's family's originated and came to Chiriqui, specifically Boquete.  She chose Boquete because at the time there was no independent PT clinic in Boquete.  Even today, she is the only clinic not associated with another business or group. Their office is located next to Dr. Gomez's clinic, Clinica Especializada, across the street from Melo. 

Jessica and Belkys run their facility much like North Americans are accustomed to, with scheduled appointments which are kept in a timely manner.  However, they also spend afternoons working at the homes of people unable to get to the clinic, such as Hospice patients and others permanently or temporarily home-bound.  Approximately once a month she also offers 5-minute messages at Tuesday Market, which would be a great time to get to know her.  Her English is above average, but in her professional work, it is nearly perfect.  She has focused on English words that helps her communicate as a health professional more than in other situations.  She worries that her English isn't perfect, but most people will have no problem communicating with her.

She offers ultrasonic therapies, electrotherapy, heat, ice, massage (she has warm oils and strong hands), kinesiology tapings (very avant garde), and a huge variety of routines to strengthen and limber the muscles and joints.  For me, I was finished with my rehabilitation in two weeks, going 3 times a week for an hour each session (she also has Saturday clinic).  My podiatrist was impressed with the progress, and said she did similarly or better than PTs he uses in Houston.  I continue to use the procedures she showed me to ice or heat my heel before exercising and the simple warm up stretches to prevent a recurrence.  She is excellent at devising a plan to heal and then maintain the healing. 

A bit more about Jessica Bell's personal life.  When she isn't working hard building her practice and meeting patients, she likes to work out at a gym or go to a movie.   She is also working toward obtaining her Master's Degree within the next 5 years.  She regularly attends professional conferences to stay abreast of the latest technologies and reads professional journals in Physical Therapy.  She has to buy and maintain all her own equipment, which often requires her to purchase from outside Panama.  This means she must keep the equipment in good working order, as there is no local service available.  I was impressed watching her carefully clean and return equipment to their protective cases.

Every patient is treated with an individual plan, she keeps meticulous files on each patient following an initial assessment based on your history, X-rays, prescription and pain level, and personal ability to perform the recommended course of treatment.   You can see her with or without a prescription, with or without an injury, and perhaps just want the best message to feel energized.  You do want to make an appointment.  Call 6211-7011 or 6741-8115.  Jessica has agreed to take questions for the next two weeks, by email to health.info@chiriqui.life if any of our readers have questions or comments. 

Readers, if you know of a medical professional in Chiriqui Province that you would like to be highlighted in the future, please send suggestions by email to health.info@chiriqui.life .

Well done, Jo.   Good information presented in easy to read and understand format.

Looking forward to more articles.

• Upvote 1