Chop Sticks - A Chinese Cuisine Restaurant Now Open in Alto Boquete

7 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Here's the Menu.

I'm sure it will expand with demand.

25152257_1932402963454934_8077379928425128326_n.jpg.5a180b4884188d6660777921ac0a621e.jpg

Yes, this is Daniel's place.

So an appetizer, two soups, two entrees, two upgrades to fried rice, and two cokes and we're almost at $50 without tip.  Are those entree prices for the small or large cardboard containers for takeout?  The Steakhouse, Palacio, and Neuva China will still get my business.

10 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Here's the Menu.

I'm sure it will expand with demand.

25152257_1932402963454934_8077379928425128326_n.jpg.5a180b4884188d6660777921ac0a621e.jpg

There is a complete other side of this menu with more dishes (including all the pork dishes). Four of us ate there last night and we all found the prices a little steep. In fact, my two guests were from San Francisco and observed that you can eat more cheaply at a Chinese restaurant in San Francisco. To their credit, when two of us asked for the pensionado discount on our meals, they gave the discount to all 4 of us including the two younger visitors. That brought the bill down to $37 for four people which isn't too bad. Of course, if they had their alcohol license, the bill would have been considerably more. The consensus was that all 4 dishes were pretty good, the sweet and sour pork was the best (and the priciest).

Penny,

You wrote:

"In fact, my two guests were from San Francisco and observed that you can eat more cheaply at a Chinese restaurant in San Francisco."

Tucked away in the side streets throughout San Franciso's China Town are little restaurants where dinner entrees can be had for under $4.  Amazing in that incredibly expensive city.

3 hours ago, Penny said:

There is a complete other side of this menu with more dishes (including all the pork dishes). Four of us ate there last night and we all found the prices a little steep. In fact, my two guests were from San Francisco and observed that you can eat more cheaply at a Chinese restaurant in San Francisco. To their credit, when two of us asked for the pensionado discount on our meals, they gave the discount to all 4 of us including the two younger visitors. That brought the bill down to $37 for four people which isn't too bad. Of course, if they had their alcohol license, the bill would have been considerably more. The consensus was that all 4 dishes were pretty good, the sweet and sour pork was the best (and the priciest).

You say $9.25 for dinner per person is not bad for here in Boquete? Chop Sticks is not tucked away or a hole in the wall place. We have not been there yet so will hold off on judging it. But let's give them credit. It is a brand new place and Boquete sure needs a good Chinese restaurant, not another very expensive Italian Resturant.

We lived in San Francisco for over 20 years and have visited many many restaurants. Unless you go to a hole in a wall place one would be very hard pressed to find restaurant prices as inexpensive as these I.O.O. Yes, there are tucked away places and they look like it. Sure there are places where you can find cheaper food. And that's exactly what you get: Cheaper food!

Average SF restaurant prices:

https://www.priceoftravel.com/86/united-states/san-francisco-prices

You liked the food and at the end, you thought the bill wasn't too bad. Let's give them a chance. $9.25 per person is a deal. A little steep on the prices? If the food and service do not measure up would agree. Sounds like you left as a happy customer.

• Admin_01 changed the title to Chop Sticks - A Chinese Cuisine Restaurant Now Open in Alto Boquete
3 hours ago, Siempre Soluciones said:

Tucked away in the side streets throughout San Franciso's China Town are little restaurants where dinner entrees can be had for under $4. 

In Shanghai, and Toronto, as well. 

The point is that the tucked away places referred to where one is eating 'typico oriental' food are located in large Chinese communities, which we don't have (yet) in Alto Boquete.

In David, I've always liked the Steak House but prices there have climbed, too. Palacio Oriental serves what I would call a great PanaChina executive lunch.

Personally, I'm glad there's now an option for takeout food close to home and I'm looking forward to trying it.  

Regards the pricing, it's probably been set knowing that at least half the clientele will be looking for a discount. I'm all in favor of keeping prices down but in comparison to the $30 and up items on the other new menu I saw recently, this one doesn't look so bad.

Just my opinion.

Here's the other side of the menu.

image.png.ad2d47452d3f2b4e38d6deb8e6756686.png

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Upvote 1

Just to be clear, if I hadn't felt the prices were a little on the high side I would not have pulled out my E-cedula for the discount. I probably ask for a discount fewer than 10% of the time I eat at a restaurant. I understand their lunch special is exceptional and very competitively priced. I actually eat lunch out more often than dinner so I'm happy about that.

The Chinese steak house holds a special place in my heart. It's my favorite restaurant in David and I would probably pay anything for their rollos primavera (spring rolls) and their won ton soup. They also are very good with giving (even initiating) the discount.

Edited by Penny
  • Like 1

Had lunch at Chopsticks yesterday. Mostly Panamains at the time we were there. Place about 70% full.

Pros: Location, atmosphere, food, very friendly, quick service, plenty of parking and fair price.  Cons: limited menu, no beer, and wine yet.

Thought the flavors of the food was very good and very good size portions. Our bill with tip was $12.00. Whenever our bill is under $15 we do not ask for the Jubilado discount. We will return!

BTW they open at noon.    

11 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Here’s the Lunch Specials menu. Pretty reasonable prices considering the inclusions.

92E9E84A-390A-4FD7-9C37-06D1E04AC313.jpeg.400f26402b9d8716cd85be141222b54f.jpeg

We've eaten there twice, and are big fans!  The staff are great, the food is great.  We've tried 5 items so far.  Just one word of warning.  The menu changes at 3 p.m. to the dinner menu.  The entrees are a bit bigger, but, it no longer comes with soup, or fried wonton, or fried rice.  Plus, it cost nearly twice as much.  I think lunch is the better value.

On 12/16/2017 at 7:06 AM, Bonnie said:

Does anyone know what days and hours it is open? The Chopsticks FB page doesn't contain this information.

Also, from the looks of the only photo I've seen, there are booths. Are there also tables that will accommodate a larger group?

Bonnie,

The back booth on the right side works for larger groups, it is sort of joined all along the back wall, and a table for 2 can be brought in the connect all maybe.  I think that area would hold about 10 people. I haven't even looked at the other side of the restaurant, because I liked the little patio area off the right side.  Sunshine, etc. 

• 2 weeks later...