How Do I Stop Seeing News Boquete Postings as Part of Unread Content

Admin_01

Question

• Administrators

I understand that News Boquete uses this website for its online archive repository. I already get News Boquete emails directly from that service. How do I exclude those postings from the Unread Content display when I execute that button every morning?

6 answers to this question

• Administrators

There is a simple procedure to remove News Boquete activity from the Unread Content display. This procedure takes only about 10 to 15 seconds. Our recommendation is that you execute this procedure immediately after signing into the website, and certainly before you click on the Unread Content button.

Here are the steps:

1. be sure that you are signed into the website
  2. go to the forums index page (the page you normally land on after signing in)
  3. scroll down to the third category of forums (it is labelled Commentary, Personals, News Feeds / Meeting Announcements, Panama in General)
  4. locate the dedicated forum labelled News Boquete (currently in the third grouping), and then click on that forum
  5. click on "Mark forum as read" (on upper right side of screen)

If done prior to clicking on the Unread Content button, then any new News Boquete postings will not display in your Unread Content window.

The next time NewsLady posts something in that dedicated forum will reset the toggle for displaying new content. Just repeat the above steps to again clear the display toggle for any new postings in that forum.

I am still navigating this site, here is a message I sent to Bud, but it seems appropriate to post it here now.

hola Bud

We greatly appreciate you creating Chiriqui Life Forum.  

I do not know if there was a previous post about this, but for what it's worth, we enjoy having the News Boquete and other notices in the Activity Stream.  If it is in the Activity Stream, then we get an immediate notice instead of going to the individual areas to look and see if anything new is posted.  We believe it will be a disservice to those who send out these notices, as it is likely that many will not go to search for these notices, and many notices are sent out only a day before the event.

If the notices are in the activity stream, more people are likely to see it, which supports the purpose of the notices. [And the purpose of the Activity Stream].

Just wanted to share our thoughts on this.

Gracias, 

Susan & Pat 

In my other persona as "Newslady" it is considerable extra work for me to post each news.boquete email in the special reserved section of C.L. Having said that, there is a couple of  advantages to the community that most people wouldn't be aware of:

1. Quite often I get asked to dig out an old news.boquete email and send it to someone who vaguely remembers it, didn't save it, can't find it, and now wants the information. This is an extra effort on my part to dig through the archives and send a personal email to someone . . . however I do it. Under the new system I can just tell them to do a search on C.L.

2. I notice the number of views on the News.Boquete topics. I think the folks who get them in their email in-box probably wouldn't be viewing them. This means they are hitting a wider audience than our current 1810 subscribers.

3. I also notice that sometimes people reply or start a discussion concerning a particular News.Boquete email. This is something they can't do under the email system and is, I think, a valuable contribution to the dialogue in our community.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Upvote 1

For those of you who, like me, find the duplication of News Boquete posts in CL annoying and cluttersome, Marcelyn's solution works well.

When you sign for the first time on a given day, go to the Home page (if you're not already on it) and scroll down to News Boquete under News Feeds/Meeting Announcements. Click on News Boquete, which will take you to that page. In the upper right hand corner, click on "Mark forum read." News Boquete posts in the Activity Stream will disappear. It takes very little time.