Can anyone provide guidance on how to get U.S. SSA checks direct deposited into Panama bank?  We have the forms signed by our bank, Scotia Bank, but are being told that a. Costa Rico U.S. embassy unable to do this, after we contacted U.S. Embassy in Panama.  b. Now U.S. embassy in Panama told me they "have no guidelines" for processing these requests!!

Recently, for budgetary reasons too complicated to go into here, the U.S. Embassy in Panama was instructed to refer all social security issues to the embassy in San Jose, Costa Rica. Just so you know that you're not the only one suffering from this change, I am a U.S. warden in Boquete, and I can't get the Costa Rica embassy office to respond to me. (At least they responded to you, however inadequately.)

The U.S. embassy in Panama City has been contacted and asked for help in resolving this issue. I'm confident they will help figuring it out.

Edited by Bonnie

On 11/30/2017 at 4:14 PM, DebS said:

Can anyone provide guidance on how to get U.S. SSA checks direct deposited into Panama bank?  We have the forms signed by our bank, Scotia Bank, but are being told that a. Costa Rico U.S. embassy unable to do this, after we contacted U.S. Embassy in Panama.  b. Now U.S. embassy in Panama told me they "have no guidelines" for processing these requests!!

We have always had our Soc Sec checks deposited to our USA bank.  Over the 10 years here we have never had difficulties

Edited by Brundageba

My advice to everybody who has ever asked me is to leave your SS deposit going into your US account. It's a whole lot easier than dealing with a Panamanian bank. Also, in my 14 years here I have witnessed at least 3 Panamanian banks closing either permanently or temporarily because of various problems. The best advice ever is to get yourself a Schwab or Fidelity account with an ATM/debit card and have your SS deposit go there. You then pull out your money with the ATM card and these investment companies immediately credit your account for the ATM fees (which are now around $5.25).

7 hours ago, Penny said:

My advice to everybody who has ever asked me is to leave your SS deposit going into your US account. It's a whole lot easier than dealing with a Panamanian bank. Also, in my 14 years here I have witnessed at least 3 Panamanian banks closing either permanently or temporarily because of various problems. The best advice ever is to get yourself a Schwab or Fidelity account with an ATM/debit card and have your SS deposit go there. You then pull out your money with the ATM card and these investment companies immediately credit your account for the ATM fees (which are now around $5.25).

Penny is bringing up some important considerations about this topic.

This general subject has come up previously here on CL. Also see related postings at:

We use the Multibank approach of depositing a check on our US bank, have a 5 day waiting period, and NO fees involved. This option is limited to $3,000.00 per cycle, but we have never found that to be an issue.