Power Outage Sunday November 19th

That's a long planned outage without notice. Both my garage door and my gate operate by electricity. With some difficulty, it's possible to bypass both, but they're hard to reset once power is restored. As it happens, it was no big deal because I had no plans outside the house today, but I can't help noting that they have my email address because they send my bill by email every month. It seems to me it would have been easy to notify customers via email so they could plan ahead.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bonnie said:

That's a long planned outage without notice. Both my garage door and my gate operate by electricity. With some difficulty, it's possible to bypass both, but they're hard to reset once power is restored. As it happens, it was no big deal because I had no plans outside the house today, but I can't help noting that they have my email address because they send my bill by email every month. It seems to me it would have been easy to notify customers via email so they could plan ahead.

We get our bill by email as well. Agree!

"It seems to me it would have been easy to notify customers via email so they could plan ahead."

Someone dropped the ball or they just don't care! Hopefully, they got a lot of calls and complaints.

Edited by TwoSailors

Although disappointed to hear of more electrical outages mentioned here, at least there was advance word. After about six hours our service at our home was back and seemingly pretty good. I did not want to jinx it, but I found myself thinking that maybe this outage was a significant step forward in terms of reliability.

But jinx it I certainly did. We had another [unplanned] outage today, Monday, November 20th. About 11:00AM one phase of our grid disappeared. And then the other phase became very unstable. It was over five hours of crazy electrical ups and downs, with the eventual loss of all power. This kind of service is very destructive of appliances. To protect our appliances I took us off the grid and started the generator. 

Service was restored about 4:30PM, and here I go jinxing it again. The service appears to be solid — so far. Experience tells me this will be only temporary.

For years I have had hope that reliable, clean, stable power would eventually be the norm. I now am losing that hope. In the meantime we keep replacing damaged electrical components.

13 hours ago, Bud said:

For years I have had hope that reliable, clean, stable power would eventually be the norm. I now am losing that hope. In the meantime we keep replacing damaged electrical components

Me too, Bud. Me too. As John Hampton has said, Thomas Edison is turning over in his grave. Reliable electricity just isn't that hard in this day and age.

I still don't understand why the government doesn't demand better service from UF, a power monopoly.

• Like 1

We would like some blue candles, to match my mood. I suspect Gas Natural Fenosa doesn’t even know where El Santuario is located so I best not get too depressed if I don’t get my candles.

Seriously, does passing out candles mean they expect a long outage? Our service has been out since about 2:15 PM today, and it was another ugly outage. By that I mean ups and down with heavy hammering of our appliances. As I was headed to the garage to take us off the grid then all power went away.

My posting on Monday was correct. The restoration two days ago was only temporary.

Tell my again why I enjoy living here...... And where are my candles?

• Haha 1