International Living Expat Article about life in David

1 hour ago, Bonnie said:

They don’t mention having health insurance. While routine medical visits are inexpensive, they may be singing a different tone when his diabetes and/or heart issues require hospitalization.

They were career military, so probably have TriCare, which can be used at some hospitals in Panama.

I went back to reread the HuffPost article three times. Nowhere do I read that they were career military. They indicate that they were military in the early part of their married life. If he was career military then why would he have had an issue with the cost of the medical care in the US? The services would have picked up the tab if that was the case.

What am I overlooking here?

Sometime back I was asked by someone to write an article for International Living. I explained to this nice woman that sure, I'd write one, but without the rose-colored glasses and that I'd write about the pros vs the cons. She explained to me that she has a disabled husband and that their income comes from her writing..i.e., International Living for example. She did not contact me again. She seemed like a very nice person in a tight position...but there is an example of where International Living publishes their lies.

3 hours ago, BD said:

I went back to reread the HuffPost article three times. Nowhere do I read that they were career military. They indicate that they were military in the early part of their married life. If he was career military then why would he have had an issue with the cost of the medical care in the US? The services would have picked up the tab if that was the case.

What am I overlooking here?

Since they had been to Panama twice with the military, it seemed they weren't just in for 4 years, but longer term.  Hard to tell, but it is a possibility they were career military, based on that statement.

1 hour ago, JudyS said:

Since they had been to Panama twice with the military, it seemed they weren't just in for 4 years, but longer term.  Hard to tell, but it is a possibility they were career military, based on that statement.

In the first paragraph she says her husband had  Medicare, disability, and supplemental insurance back in the States. There’s no mention of military insurance.

Edited by Bonnie

18 hours ago, Dottie Atwater said:

Sometime back I was asked by someone to write an article for International Living. I explained to this nice woman that sure, I'd write one, but without the rose-colored glasses and that I'd write about the pros vs the cons. She explained to me that she has a disabled husband and that their income comes from her writing..i.e., International Living for example. She did not contact me again. She seemed like a very nice person in a tight position...but there is an example of where International Living publishes their lies.

A few years ago we were interviewed by the International Livings PC based manager. Took pictures and asked us to send in our thoughts on Panama. We did with the pros and cons as well. Never got published!

Have never read anything published regarding the cons in any of their articles.

• 1 month later...

When we first started our research on retirement locations, we subscribed to IL.  About three issues in I realized that what they are selling is the 'dream'. I realized professional, if not overbearing, marketing of something that many hope exists...a perfect place to retire.  Perfection doesn't allow for cons, only pros.

We thought to attend one of their seminars just to see what we could see and it was a BIG mistake to just inquire.  We didn't sign up.  After that, we were inundated with invitations, c'mons, hurry quick or it will expire type offers.  Much hype and not much meat.   I reached out to a few folks that had attended their seminars and found that much of the material could be found online.  For the seminar break times, many business folks were there to sell their tours, services and real estate to excited dreamers embracing the idea of perfection.  

Perhaps this type of presentation is good for some people.  Not for us.   Clearly the founder saw an opportunity for a good business.  Can't blame for that but didn't get sucked in either.