Relocation of and support for Boquete's recycling center

Bud

Marcelyn and I just got home from running errands. For years we have routinely deposited recyclables at the recycling facility here in Boquete. It used to be on the side street down from the Bistro. And then it relocated to across the street from La Posada.

What a surprise today. As we were leaving the recycling place, a nice lady came over to inform us that their facility is closing within a week. If we understood her correctly it will be relocating to somewhere close to the Boquete cemetery. If this is true, then it will be a lot less convenient to deposit our recyclables.

And another surprising piece of news by the lady talking with us is that the current recycling place is going to be converted into yet another restaurant. Wow, restaurant row is really taking hold of that part of the Calle Principal here in Boquete. She did not know the future name of this restaurant, who was the owner, and what cuisine would be served.

Edited by Admin_01
Merging of three topics on the same subject, and generalizing the title

I was told last year that the location had become too expensive for a recycling (i.e. junk) yard. The best use for that property is commercial. The lady owner has been looking for a long time for an affordable location. If you collect your recyclables, a once a month trip to the cemetery isn't. all that bad.

19 hours ago, Penny said:

I was told last year that the location had become too expensive for a recycling (i.e. junk) yard. The best use for that property is commercial. The lady owner has been looking for a long time for an affordable location. If you collect your recyclables, a once a month trip to the cemetery isn't. all that bad.

Beats a one way trip to the cemetery! :(

In another run to the [current, soon to be relocated] recycling facility here in Boquete yesterday afternoon, we learned from the lady who manages the facility that it is relocating to a building that is located next door to the Boquete Bible Fellowship Church. We stopped by to see the current status of that building. For those who do not know where this site is, go down the side street next to Restaurante La Karreta (which is across the main street from Biblioteca de Boquete).

Here is a picture of the building. To the right of the bushes shown in this picture appears to be a yard space that is fenced in and likely to be used as the receiving area. The wall of the building on the left side of the picture is the BBF church building.

New-Recycling-Facility.thumb.jpg.75004fd132ce57e813ebbef981d7c8a4.jpg

• Upvote 1

I went to this place and looked for any sign of the recycling center, but found nothing.  Down the road to the left is a vacant lot with a gate across it.  Could this be it?  No sign or activity, and the gate was locked.  Has anybody actually found the new location?

The present owner of the recycle facility took us to the location as pictured and announced this would be where the new recycle center would be.

Are you thinking a location change?

I realize the spot across the street from La Posada was closed earlier this week, but the owner did not indicate the opening date for the new location.

• 3 weeks later...

We simply do not know if what we were previously told is still going to happen (but on a slower time clock than we hoped for), or if plans for a replacement recycle facility have just fallen through.

With the closure of the recycling facility (across the street from La Posada), we are curious if anyone knows where (and when) recycled goods here in the Boquete area should be taken.

P.S., the two word version of this post is: "What's happening?"

as of Friday August 11 i can finally report that there is an alternative if you are going to David. As reported by someone else,  It is a half-block from Steak House. the yard is at 6395 Calle Alberto Osorio. The men i met there were very nice and took everything I had that i usually took to the center here in Boquete, before it closed. This one is open M-F 8-4pm and Saturdays half day. It is  merely a block from Av. Belasario Porras the road we take to Boquete at the overpass.

UNTIL the center in Boquete reopens, here is where i go to in David.............

oh no!  one friend said she could not find it so here I am posting my map. Its so easy, go as if you are heading from Boquete to downtown David, taking the overpass over the Pan American Hwy, when you go over, go slow, and look for the first right turn at Calle N norte, take that right and go to Ave 7 oeste, turning right again, you will immediately come to the corner where the Steak Restaurant will be on your right. Take a left here and the recycling center is on the right. Here is the problem, It doesn't look like anything except junk everywhere. But my map told me i was there. BEWARE THERE IS NO SIGNAGE. But i took the intitative to knock on the door at 6395 and the man said yes, i was there! he was happy to take all i had. He opened a gate you could not see thru, and a worker came out to help me unload. All i saw was piles of scrap metal from the road. But i assure you, this is it. If you don't like my map, go to Google Maps on your phone and enter Steak Restaurant. It will show up because i added it!  

map2recycle.jpg

Edited by MacAssist
  • Thanks 1

I found the David recycling place today. I think these directions might be easier. Get on the Pan American coming from Price Smart. Take the last right turn before the overpass. Go one block and turn left. You will see the recycling center on the left and just a little farther down you will see the wonderful Chinese Steak house on your right.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone actually found (and used) the new location of the recycling center which is supposed to be next to the Boquete Bible Fellowship Church down the road across from the Library?

I've looked for it and can't see any sign where it might be. My recycling containers overfloweth.

• 5 weeks later...

The lady who ran the old recycling center next to the Boquete Brewing place has returned. She will be opened for business next Monday, Sep 25 8am to 5pm at the cabina next to the old Amigos (now a church). Somebody posted a foto of this a while back. It is the same place, the cementario is just behind it.

She told me, no plastic, no tires, no colored glass (only clear). 

She only speaks Spanish.

Buena Suerte

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Pantah said:

The lady who ran the old recycling center next to the Boquete Brewing place has returned. She will be opened for business next Monday, Sep 25 8am to 5pm at the cabina next to the old Amigos (now a church). Somebody posted a foto of this a while back. It is the same place, the cementario is just behind it.

She told me, no plastic, no tires, no colored glass (only clear). 

She only speaks Spanish.

Buena Suerte

Here is the link that you refer to:

If this new location actually comes to fruition, then these topics will be merged.

From Heidi Lim Rehm (Mike's) in a Facebook Group:

The new recycling place in town is open!  It's next to Boquete Bible Fellowship on the cemetery road.  We're helping Gelis, the nice woman running the center, to get the word out so please spread the news.  She said they don't take any plastics or colored glass bottles at this time but maybe that will be a possibility in the future.

FB_IMG_1506263266046.jpg

Edited by Pederhaney

• 1 month later...

image.png.115d04551ac3275212ce196ca18f7638.png

trying to help get the word out (for people who do not use Facebook) that there is a real possibility of our new recycle center, closing due to lack of interest.  
Very easy to find, next door to Bible Fellowship near the Biblioteca.