Wiring money into Panama

An American expat has advised the U.S. Wardens that his bank has refused an incoming wire of money from the U.S., citing the Patriot Act. As I wired a substantial amount of money into my Panama bank account just a couple of months ago, I am wondering if this is an isolated event attributable to a single bank, or whether it may be a new banking regulation.

Has anyone conducted an incoming wire transfer from the U.S. lately? Has anyone else's bank refused an incoming wire of money from the U.S.?

46 minutes ago, Bonnie said:

An American expat has advised the U.S. Wardens that his bank has refused an incoming wire of money from the U.S., citing the Patriot Act. As I wired a substantial amount of money into my Panama bank account just a couple of months ago, I am wondering if this is an isolated event attributable to a single bank, or whether it may be a new banking regulation.

Has anyone conducted an incoming wire transfer from the U.S. lately? Has anyone else's bank refused an incoming wire of money from the U.S.?

Bonnie,

Can you find out which bank?

8 hours ago, Siempre Soluciones said:

Bonnie,

Can you find out which bank?

In a follow up email, the petitioner clarified that it was two American banks that said they could not wire money to Panama because it is on the list of countries to which money can't be sent based on the Patriot Act.

After some back and forth with the U.S. Embassy on this issue, I just received the email below. The problem apparently is with the U.S. banks.

Ms. Williams,

Nothing has changed and we are not aware of any restrictions in terms of wiring funds to Panama from the US. I have checked with everyone here who might know something about that, and we are not aware of any changes or restrictions. Please advise the person to contact his or her bank.

Thomas Hayes

Vice Consul

American Citizens Services/Federal Benefits

Unidad de Asistencia a Ciudadanos Estadounidenses/Beneficios Federales

Consular Section / Sección Consular                  

U.S. Embassy Panama / Embajada de los Estados Unidos de América en Panamá

e-mail: Panama-ACS@state.gov

Tel: (507) 317-5000; Fax: (507) 317-5303 https://pa.usembassy.gov

• 2 months later...

I am not actually in Boquete yet, but I've been wiring money from BOA to my account at Scotia Bank with no problem at all.  I asked BOA if using a MBE street address would be a problem, and they said absolutely not.  At Scotia Bank we were told that if we planned to wire a large amount of money that we should notify them 24 hours in advance.  That said, I've had no problem.