Questioning the InterAmerican Hwy Closure Between David and the Horconcitos Turnoff

Does anyone know why two of the four lanes of the PanAmerican highway are closed off for 17 km between David and the Horconcitos turnoff, requiring two-way traffic on the two lanes on one side of the highway only? There is no obvious reason for the other two lanes to be barricaded.  Not only is it inexplicable and annoying, but more important it is dangerous, as drivers are tempted to pass when it is unsafe due to oncoming traffic where it is unexpected.

I suppose the cynical answer would be that it is not close enough to the election yet to justify opening it.......But, having done that trip a few times and noted that I never seem to be on the same side of the road on each trip, it does make you wonder.  Perhaps there is someone out there with a logical reason?

Good point, except ...

Where do you see any work being done in the 17 km area that is closed off? The reason for the question on this topic in the first place is that I don't see any. Ever. (Well, not for a very long time.) And I travel this section of highway a lot.

Oh well, TIP

14 hours ago, DWilson said:

It was explained to me by a Panamaña that the roadway would not be opened until the inspectors were 100% satisfied and even a minor crack/crevice would hold up the approval.  This was what delayed the area is Las Lomas for a couple of months.

That is very probable.  There are minor details to be fixed that the inspection want to be corrected before giving the final approval of acceptance of the project.