A little after 2:00 I started to town for a short but necessary trip to the dentist. When I reached the bridge by the fairgrounds and BCP, it was completely blocked by a gigantic piece of construction equipment, most likely related to the Panamonte bridge construction. I have no idea what the problem may have been. At first I thought it might be too tall, but there was no effort being made to back up. I--and many other cars--turned around and took the long Palo Alto/Alto Lino loop only to be confronted by a road closure in Los Naranjos near Ruiz. We were routed through narrow neighborhood streets. On my return about 30 minutes later, the bridge was still blocked and there was a huge traffic jam within the detour in Los Naranjos. The streets are too narrow to accommodate large vehicles as well as another vehicle, so it was one way traffic at times with nowhere for oncoming cars to pull over. No employees from the roadwork came down to direct traffic, of course. What a mess. I feel cut off from the world. If anyone learns anything, please report it here.

Edited by Bonnie

If this weren't such an annoyance, I'd have to laugh. Of all the places to break down! And a little over a year ago there was a car down on the little one-way bridge just past the Jaramillo turnoff on the way to Palo Alto. Maybe I'm jinxed living where I do.

Edited by Bonnie

The bridge was finally clear when I crossed at 5:30 last night. Coming home from David it took me almost two hours to get to my home in Jaramillo Arriba. First I needed to stop at my friend's house just behind Plaza Los Establos and that road was blocked. Then the road approaching the bridge was blocked by the big breakdown. So I decided to go around to the little back road that runs in front of the dessert restaurant and then comes out just on the downtown side of the bridge. Well, that road was under construction and closed also. So, I felt I had to go all the way around the Alto Lino loop and, guess what. That road was closed but thankfully there was an available detour around the closure. This is getting really more difficult by the day.

I recently decided to drive home via the "scenic route", the Alto Lino loop.  NOW I remember my husband's harangue from a few days earlier.  Just as I got to the closed part, I noticed a police truck ahead turn sharp right.  I quickly followed him, and discovered the detour through "the jungle",  but I did not see any detour signs.  If I hadn't been right behind the police truck, I might have gotten lost.  It's always nice to know one more route home. With the new bridge, I'll have 4 routes to Palo Alto.