Two women with $ 300 thousand in a car

The authorities seem to think this is drug money, and it is obvious that they were trying transport cash across international borders illegally.  But why it would be from Panama to Costa Rica (or places north)?  That seems to me be the opposite direction of smuggled illicit cash.

Of all the times we passed through checkpoints with tons of stuff in the truck...surf gear, coolers, packs etc , we've never once been searched.   I guess they figure us old farts with surfboards are unlikely traffickers.  What made them decide to double check the chicks?

Banks always seem to give you your $$ in $20s.

I was thinking the smell of money as well !   Do they have money sniffin dogs?  ( joking sort of...maybe they do).  Another thing that's weird is the direction they were headed with the money for a drug deal.   Does seem backwards.

5 hours ago, Brundageba said:

Of all the times we passed through checkpoints with tons of stuff in the truck...surf gear, coolers, packs etc , we've never once been searched.   I guess they figure us old farts with surfboards are unlikely traffickers.  What made them decide to double check the chicks?

Usually this kind or Police action is done because the authorities has previous information and keep the persons in surveillance until it is time to catch them.   Usually looking for the big shots behind the business.

1 hour ago, Brundageba said:

Banks always seem to give you your $$ in $20s.

I was thinking the smell of money as well !   Do they have money sniffin dogs?  ( joking sort of...maybe they do).  Another thing that's weird is the direction they were headed with the money for a drug deal.   Does seem backwards.

Remember that Costa Rica and other countries in Central America has increased the drug trafficking activities.  Also happens that some people do what is called in Panama "tumbes" .   It is criminals that steal drugs and money from other criminals and try to hide the money somewhere else.  Most of the executions between drugs gansters in Panama and Costa Rica has been because of kind of piracy among them

2 hours ago, Roger B said:

Usually this kind or Police action is done because the authorities has previous information and keep the persons in surveillance until it is time to catch them.   Usually looking for the big shots behind the business.

That's what I thought because sometimes you would never guess in a million years there could be drugs hidden where they find them.  I remember one year there was a load of crude 6X6" cut lumber beams ( huge pieces of wood) .  The truck was loaded.  They had taken several of the beams on the bottom and hollowed out the center and loaded the beams with dope.  My thoughts then were how in the heck would a huge truck full of wood with the dope way inside on the bottom ever be recognized as suspect. Some of these truckloads of bananas seem to me to be another place that would be a hard one to find. ...but those control officers are finding loads all the time. 

large_Page 10_no credit required.jpg

Edited by Brundageba

43 minutes ago, Brundageba said:

Some of these truckloads of bananas seem to me to be another place that would be a hard one to find. ...but those control officers are finding loads all the time.

As in these 100 lb. tanks that the Police cut open yesterday which were found in Playa Leona, near Chorrera.

380 Packs of Marijuana and another 30 of an unidentified black substance.

DROGA-PLAYA-LEONA-28AGO17-1.jpeg.4b7e44ad3623d7b11e5b6cf2c8fb5cc9.jpeg

DROGA-PLAYA-LEONA-28AGO17-2.jpeg.df23f8df9cb5b85a56c2fcbcc5c404ae.jpeg

http://ministeriopublico.gob.pa/decomisan-380-paquetes-marihuana-playa-leona/

24 minutes ago, Brundageba said:

I did not realize you can x-ray a car...saw it on TV.  

There is an ' X-Ray Can ' at the checkpoint at Guabala. Colombians I know here have had their vehicles run through it.

Honestly, I don't think Gringos ever get checked.

Edited by Keith Woolford

27 minutes ago, Keith Woolford said:

As in these 100 lb. tanks that the Police cut open yesterday which were found in Playa Leona, near Chorrera.

380 Packs of Marijuana and another 30 of an unidentified black substance.

DROGA-PLAYA-LEONA-28AGO17-1.jpeg.4b7e44ad3623d7b11e5b6cf2c8fb5cc9.jpeg

DROGA-PLAYA-LEONA-28AGO17-2.jpeg.df23f8df9cb5b85a56c2fcbcc5c404ae.jpeg

http://ministeriopublico.gob.pa/decomisan-380-paquetes-marihuana-playa-leona/

Wow. That is a lot of work to hide dope in those tanks. Police must have been tipped off.

3 hours ago, Brundageba said:

That's what I thought because sometimes you would never guess in a million years there could be drugs hidden where they find them.  I remember one year there was a load of crude 6X6" cut lumber beams ( huge pieces of wood) .  The truck was loaded.  They had taken several of the beams on the bottom and hollowed out the center and loaded the beams with dope.  My thoughts then were how in the heck would a huge truck full of wood with the dope way inside on the bottom ever be recognized as suspect. Some of these truckloads of bananas seem to me to be another place that would be a hard one to find. ...but those control officers are finding loads all the time. 

large_Page 10_no credit required.jpg

I've always thought that transporting dope in bee hives would be clever.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Brundageba said:

I did not realize you can x-ray a car...saw it on TV.  

I went down to New York State a few years ago from Canada.  At the U.S. Checkpoint I was pulled over because my car showed higher than normal levels of radiation.  After I explained that I had had a nuclear stress test the previous day they let me go on my merry way.  Colour me impressed, that stuff really does work!