Chiriqui.Life Podcast #10: An Interview with Dottie Atwater, The Driving Force Behind the Spay/Neuter Clinics in Volcán

Admin_01

• Administrators

This is another in a series of audio podcasts by Chiriqui.Life. The subject of this podcast is Dottie Atwater. Dottie got her pilot's license at the age of 20, has done scuba diving, sky diving, ridden horses in the Big Bend area and into Mexico, etc., etc., etc. In other words, she is a proactive participant in the adventures of life. Houston was her last base in the US prior to moving to Volcán in 2004 after a long career in real estate. Dottie found her passion in taking care of domestic pets, especially dogs. During the course of our recording session with Dottie, we learned that she never really thought of herself as a pet person, but she became aware of and responded while seeing the poor situation for animals in her area. Dottie now is the driving force behind the spay/neuter clinics in the Volcán area. She does not seek publicity, but consented to our request for an interview for our audio podcast series. Dottie gives tirelessly and endlessly to support pets and to help educate others with the goal of improving life for the animal kingdom. Dottie may be a humble individual, but describes herself as a "pit bull" when it comes to animal welfare. Her story deserves to be shared.

Dottie expressly wants to recognize the assistance she received during the nascent days of the Volcán spay/neuter clinic:

"Today we have a well organized, efficient clinic, but in the beginning I didn't have a clue! At our second clinic and a few subsequent clinics, Ruby McKenzie, Dr. Chely, Judy Odom, and a few other of the original Boquete crew came to help. I could not have done it without them, and I'll be forever grateful. Also, to this day, I still buy the Zoletil anesthesia and Endovet injectable antiparasite through Ruby, who gets it from San Jose, Costa Rica. Thank you, Ruby!"

Contact Information

Spay/neuter clinic contact information: the clinic's (English) cell is 6517-8752 or José Espinosa (Spanish) at 6891-0999, email: muffiemae@gmail.com, website: www.spaypanama-chiriqui.org.

Personal contact information:
Dorothy Atwater
Volcán, Chiriquí, Panamá
507-6517-8752 (cell phone)
Skype US virtual phone: 817-349-6345
personal email: muffiemae@gmail.com

Click Here to see Dottie's many rescues (her family!). Click Here to read essays with pictures about Dottie's adventures and travels between 1992 and the time she moved to Panama.

To listen to Dottie's podcast, click below on the white, right-pointing triangle (arrow) on top of an orange circular background. If you see two options below, we recommend using the "Listen in browser" option as opposed to the "Play on SoundCloud" option.

This podcast is 32m 43s duration.

If you would like to provide feedback about this podcast, or discuss other matters related to this podcast series, please either reply to this posting, or send CL Staff a private message (@Moderator_02 is the correct display name to communicate with), or email to support@chiriqui.life.

If you would like to share this podcast with family and friends, simply provide them the following URL, but remember that CL membership is required to view this content:
        http://www.chiriqui.life/topic/6782-chiriquilife-podcast-10-an-interview-with-dottie-atwater

• Admin_01 changed the title to Chiriqui.Life Podcast #10: An Interview with Dottie Atwater, The Driving Force Behind the Spay/Neuter Clinics in Volcan
  • Moderators

Normally we post only one or two pictures for each audio podcast. However, given that this podcast was recorded during one of the monthly spay/neuter clinics in Volcan, and the purpose is to help publicize the clinics and the volunteers, we are posting many pictures, with captions provided by Dottie.

Paula Ayers with her rescued street puppy.

dog-in-blanket.jpg

Dr. Tello performing his magic.

dog-under-the-knife.jpg

Dalys Miller with one of her two adopted puppies (note the position of the dog's ears).

dog-with-slanted-ears.jpg

Dottie Atwater with John Gould, one of the volunteers.

Dottie-and-New-Helper.jpg

Magnetic sign on Dottie's car.

Dotties-car-door-sign.jpg

Dr. Andres Tello.

Dr.-Tello.jpg

Dr. Tello and Dottie checking on something.

Dr-Tello-and-Dottie-checking-on-things.jpg

Amanda Dettloff, Stephanie Rodriguez (volunteers) and Dr. Tello.

on-the-opeating-table.jpg

Several people in the clinic room itself.

panorama-view-of-the-clinic.jpg

The recovery area (there is also one on the porch).

recovery-station.jpg

Stephanie Rodriguez, a volunteer.

Technician-assisting-during-surgery.jpg

Elsi Morales, volunteer, prepares an injection.

the-anesthesia-postion.jpg

Francia Pinedo, registrar.

the-check-in-station.jpg

People waiting their turn.

The-outside-waiting-game.jpg

The yard area of the clinic building.

the-spay-neuter-facility.jpg

Alex Rios, volunteer who also does teeth cleaning.

the-teeth-cleaning-dude.jpg

Thank you, Bud and Marcelyn, for doing a great job with my disjointed ramblings. And I often forgot to explain things fully, not cognizant that things in my head are not in the awareness of others. One was when I said Prissy Lou weighed 16 lbs., I failed to say that her ideal weight is around 40 lbs., which gives a better idea of how emaciated she was.  (Prissy is my rescued dog from Spay Panama/Panama City.) Also, she was very depressed for about six months because of her previous treatment. I could hear her say, "I just want to die." But eventually she blossomed and became a very happy--and spoiled--dog. Pictures of her at that time and now tell the story much better than words ever could.

D31.JPG.32563b7eda2383386d489e0b9f74ea98.JPGD32.thumb.JPG.ea40a1e902e86ca9a08a3cfe6cfac1e2.JPG

D39.JPG

Edited by Dottie Atwater
correct