1 hour ago, Pat said:

Wish workers and police would learn how to circulate advance notice when this kind of inconvenience is going to occur. Shows lack of concern for safety issues IMO.

There was probably notice on local Radio.

The area was well cordoned off, and Police were on site as well personnel from SINAPROC. I was down there twice today and the whole operation looked very well organized. There were plenty of well equipped workers and they weren't dawdling.

Edited by Keith Woolford

2 hours ago, Uncle Doug said:

I wonder what prompted the decision to remove it. It didn't seem to me that it was in danger of falling.

I'm thinking its in advance of the fresh and waste water mains installations. There has to be roots everywhere under the road that will have to be cut.

Edited by Keith Woolford

2 hours ago, Pat said:

Wish workers and police would learn how to circulate advance notice when this kind of inconvenience is going to occur. Shows lack of concern for safety issues IMO.

Locals are great aficionados of radio, and civic announcements are made, in Spanish, on local radio. If we're not willing to listen to the radio and know enough Spanish to understand the public announcements, I don't think we have any right to complain about not receiving notice. I would point out that we receive many of these announcements--in English--thanks to Keith.

I would point out that we receive many of these announcements--in English--thanks to Keith.

Most of them are after the fact, unfortunately.

Here's the Mayor's report on the tree removal. Looks like he knew he was going take some flak.

I will be branded irresponsible FOR PREVENTION, BUT THAT DOES NOT ALLOW TO BE AT RISK OR LOSE LIFE BY A TREE THAT WAS ALREADY A DANGER IN THE CENTER OF OUR DISTRICT,

thanks to the whole team got involved so that we could under all safety standard cut so gigantic tree SINAPROC, National Police, Military Ambiente, staff of the Municipality and the Community Board of Bajo Boquete and above all to the Vice Mayor to facilitate staff and hours cranes to cut with a lot of security the tree.

You chose a man who has to make decisions, that many times are not the most popular ones, but we have to do it for the sake of an entire district, I do not listed in a future by irresponsible or by our ineptitude we lost life under a tree that already had deterioration in its interior.

I thank those who understand that these decisions are correct because they have been consulted not only with the community, but are understood in the matter and we are not going to let tiny reviews cloud a good deed that is for the good of Boquete, reiterated the mayor of Boquete Emigdio Walker Vasquez.

Public Relations Department

freetranslation

Edited by Keith Woolford

1 hour ago, Bonnie said:

Locals are great aficionados of radio, and civic announcements are made, in Spanish, on local radio. If we're not willing to listen to the radio and know enough Spanish to understand the public announcements, I don't think we have any right to complain about not receiving notice. I would point out that we receive many of these announcements--in English--thanks to Keith.

Wow. I've been put in my place. Sorry and apologize to you Bonnie for posting my opinion.

26 minutes ago, Bud said:

Just curious here. Did ANAM issue a permit for the removal of this tree? 

Apparently so Bud, this post from the Mayor's office clarifies that permits were obtained.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1258263184284512&id=566693683441469

The name of the ANAM environmental protection agency has been changed to Mi Ambiente.

Edited by Keith Woolford

15 hours ago, Pat said:

How would you have them notify you?

12 hours ago, Pat said:

Wow. I've been put in my place. Sorry and apologize to you Bonnie for posting my opinion.

Note that I use "we," not "you." I don't listen to the radio either and therefore doubtless miss a lot of valuable information. This is a general shortcoming of the expat community who don't own radios anymore and/or don't understand spoken Spanish enough to make it worthwhile.