Locations of Nurseries

I'm looking for nurseries with plants that will do well in the Boquete area.  I've found directions to a nursery in Dolega (although I wonder if the plants would be suited for my elevation of 4,300 feet.  I have nothing at all right now.  I'm sure there are other nurseries, and it might be nice for this site  to have a fairly comprehensive list of places to shop for plants. Any suggestions with helpful location information would be greatly appreciated.

Lulu's on the right side of the main drag in David heading towards Concepcion.

There are two more nurseries on the inter-americana, in San Pablo - half-way to concepcion. One is near the "ostrich" restaurant, Nueva Barranca.

Of course there is the MIDA nursery in Concepcion. You turn left off of via Volcan just before Azteka Restaurante.

One nice one in Volcan at the Mercado.

Janson's Nursery near the airstrip & lagunas in Volcan.

Edited by Gordon Bakke
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JohnF13 said:

Citricos in Potrerillos Abajo sells decent sized sweet orange and lemon trees.  Dont know if they have anything else, but they plant their stock quite high up on this side of the mountain.  Good prices, less than 5 bucks a tree.

I'm definitely going to head there for that.  I've always wanted to own a couple of each.  I had no idea I could afford a small orchard!

I'm very pleased with the citrus and avocado trees I bought from Gray River Farms (they sell at the monthly Flea Market).  They are pricey but worth it IMO.

We did some fairly extensive landscaping and bought most everything from Lulu's and the Dolega nursery that is near the school.  There are certainly some plants that are properly suited to either high or low elevations, but I think that 90% of what you find in the vivero's will grow well throughout Chiriqui.  Any of the nurseries can advise you.

Yeah, I think that one is Mary's. All jumbled up, not well cared for and over-priced, in my opinion. But if you look around, they DO have some unusual selections.

There is a small home nursery on the right, just past the Cerro Punta sign that is worth a stop, and similar operation just past Harras Cerro Punta. These two are good places to buy plants like Coreopsis and Agapanthus at reasonable prices.

The Alto Lino nursery that was near el Santuario is in the process of moving to a lot between the Catholic Church and Art Cafe on the main drag. I purchased about 10 plants there yesterday. Most plants in gallon size were $10. I'm not sure if that was the gringo price or not, but the plants seemed pretty healthy.

I second the recommendation for the Jensen Nursery in Volcan - they stock a lot of mature plants which are pricier but also provide instant gratification.

In David, besides Lulu's, we've done well with Tropicales on Calle G between 1st and 2nd (They've changed their name under a new owner, but they are a half-block from the Halphen dentistry office). They also bring up a truckload of plants on Saturday mornings and park next to the Public Clinic adjacent to Romero's in Boquete.

In Dolega, the Vivero Santamaria has a lot of stuff. Go three blocks toward the center from the Municipio building, turn right and go six blocks, the nursery is after the big bend, on the left. Two Rivers nursery on the main highway in Dolega, close to the Boookmark, has interesting and varied plants.

We've been happy with the bedding plants we've found at the well-stocked nursery on the uphill side of Ivan's.

I wasn't aware that Vergara was selling plants near the church - but there is the occasional find in his nursery in Alto Lino.