This is kind of a silly topic but one that everyone deals with.   Coins

In my move to Colombia, I needed to rid myself of all those US Coins, not to mention that wonderful dollar coin the "Martinelli".   So what do you do with your all your coins?  Put them in a piggy bank or blg jar?   Unless you are diligent of using them as fast as they accumulate, you end up with a large amount.

The banks always want me to roll all the coins and deny they have a coin counter.   I suspect that is false but when the answer is no, you go looking elsewhere.   The Rey in David has a coin counter for the public but there are a few gotchas.   First is you have to dig out all of your Martineli's as it only counts US coins.   Not hard to do.   The next one is a hurdle I have cleared only once.   The only person that will run the coin counter machine for you is the head cashier/manager.   On my first visit I was told that she only does it in the mornings when they are setting things up.   On my next visit (in the morning) I was told the machine was broken (Hmmmm...)    That was also the excuse on several subsequent visit, yet it appeared the machine had been used.    I did finally get my jar of coins counted and converted to paper bills but decided it was a losing proposition.   The head cashier/manager was never eager to do it and it seemed like an awful lot of trouble for such a simple thing as turning on the machine.  That made me wonder... what does everyone else do?   Just hang on to the coins - which is what I would have done if I was not moving to a country they would be useless.

To "coin" a phrase  I decided to "buck" up because it makes no "cents",  they are just going to "nickle and dime" you to death.

Penny for your thoughts or give me your two cents worth!  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Twin Wolf Technology Group said:

To "coin" a phrase  I decided to "buck" up because it makes no "cents",  they are just going to "nickle and dime" you to death.

Penny for your thoughts or give me your two cents worth!  

I say grant no "quarter" in this battle, Dan.

Depending on the outcome of the Martinelli legal battles, there might be some history value.  At the moment, it is mostly a coin toss as to the outcome. I would probably just play the slots.  But then I still have a locha from 1980's Venezuela, one half of 2 bits.

When my husband died, I discovered jars filled with coins. It would have taken days to sort them by hand and more days to roll them, so I bought a coin sorter and some "sleeves" that fit it. It came to over $600, so the sorter was worth the expense. Dan, you're welcome to the sorter and the sleeves that are left. Just give me a call for pickup.

• Upvote 1

Sorry but it appears I'm cents less. Canada did away with pennies some time back, probably about 10 years after I did.

I either leave them behind at the cash register for the next person who's short one, or scatter them on the ground outside where someone may feel that they're having a lucky day if they spot one.

5 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Sorry but it appears I'm cents less. Canada did away with pennies some time back, probably about 10 years after I did.

I either leave them behind at the cash register for the next person who's short one, or scatter them on the ground outside where someone may feel that they're having a lucky day if they spot one.

Same thing in 1980's Venezuela, anything less than a quarter Bolivar was called "puyas". Vendors rounded up all the prices to the nearest quarter. Venezuela rapidly struck coins of alloy material as the silver content was many times more valuable.  The puyas did make great washers for hardware.

It would be great if more airlines initiated a scheme similar to British Airways' "Flying Start".  If you are on a BA flight, travelers are encouraged to donate their loose foreign change.  There are envelopes provided in the seat back pockets of international flights, or you can give directly to the in-flight crew.  Money collected from travelers has raised over 5.8 million pounds in three years to help disadvantaged children in the UK  and in some of the world's poorest countries.  Nice to think that coins which would probably be tossed in a drawer once you reached home can do so much good.

• Upvote 1

On 7/24/2017 at 7:45 AM, John R Hampton said:

A very British (and not serious) look at BA's passenger safety video

along with the "Flying Start Donation Envelope" at the end.

5975eb297c40f_NSFaceSignoff.jpg.eff554d7d9d663e40ea09564ea23ff4a.jpg

Mr. Bean!

• Like 1