The new Mercado Publico in downtown Boquete has beautiful fruits and vegetables at better prices than the grocery stores. It's maintained clean and spotless, and there's also a seafood supplier upstairs.

A question for other residents. Why is it that I rarely, if ever, see any expats there?

ina01.jpg.268f7ebd4bade1ec1e46fd6ea5fd223b.jpg

Edited by Keith Woolford

I have found the parking in the vicinity of the mercado and Romero to have improved significantly since the opening of the new Deli Baru and onset of the rainy season. I agree with Marcelyn though about business owners taking up parking spaces that should be reserved for customers. It's the same at restaurants where parking is at a premium.

All that aside, I've observed quite a number of expats shopping at the mercado publico.  Some people may be overwhelmed by the number of vendors, however, and others prefer one-stop food shopping in the grocery stores. To me, the fruits and vegetables at the mercado appear to be much fresher and more appealing, as well as less expensive.

Edited by Bonnie

35 minutes ago, Marcelyn said:

My answer:  parking is a problem. I've noticed the same vehicles parked in the available spaces every day........and perhaps all day every day. Humm.......

I notice the same at Los Establos.  I think the employees take up most of the parking spaces. They don't seem to realize this discourages potential shoppers.

Two of the best things about mercado:

Practicing Spanish, and negotiating a price.

It is sometimes a great way to make friends and save money. Bigger purchases usually get a better break on pricing so if you go with a friend and buy double the amount, it is a deal. If you go with a Panamanian friend, you can guarantee a price between Panamanian prices and Expat prices.  Win, win, win.

I always see expats at the Mercado. We shop there three or four times a week. If the parking lot if full I usually make the block and pass again and find one open at Romeros or the Mercado. I have always found what we need at the Mercado cheaper and fresher than anywhere in town. The Mercado gets our business first and Romeros and Super Baru are second. We always support the little guy in Panama first.