• Announcements

• Admin_01

Enhanced Reputation ("Like" and "Dislike") Functionality Here on CL   07/24/2017

With the recent software upgrade, CL now has a slightly enhanced and more descriptive "reputation" functionality. The reputation is what CL members can click in the lower right corner of each posting (forums, blogs, calendar events, etc.) to indicate their "like' or "dislike" of that posting. This functionality, previously known as a member's "reputation", has been enhanced and is now known as a member's "reaction". Instead of having only two choices ("like" or "dislike", represented by a +1 or -1), there now are seven different "reactions" that a member can express, including the simple "Like" and "Dislike". As was the case previously with reputations, Administrators of this website cannot be given reputation/reaction, however Moderators can, just as all regular members can. Here in graphic form is the complete list of options in word and emoji form, along with the associated numeric value: The "Like" and the "Upvote" and the "Downvote" are essentially the same as the prior "like" and "dislike" reputation. Those are similar to what is available on some of the larger social media, such as Facebook. As in the past with reputation, the use of reactions is optional. Reputations (now "reactions") are not favored by everyone. Prior feedback indicates approximately 30% of CL's members prefer that "reputation" [and now "reactions"] be disabled. However, the majority of CL's members prefer having the ability to indicate their "like" or "dislike" of a posting. The new, enhanced functionality means simply that CL members have more granularity as to what they can indicate to the viewers. If anyone would like to see additional "reactions", please contact CL management, and include a short discussion of what you would like to see and perhaps an emoji to suggest that reaction. Two new reactions that have already been suggested are "I agree" and "I disagree", which might be expressed respectively with green check mark (or thumbs up) and red X-mark (or thumbs down) style emoji. The reactions functionality is currently configured to display who expressed that reaction. If there is sufficient feedback, we can hide the member's Display Name, and show only the cumulative reactions.           To provide general feedback or ask for help regarding Chiriqui.Life, please leave a posting in Problems, Feedback and Suggestions or email support@chiriqui.life or private message to @Admin_01.  

Bud    118

Marcelyn and I just got home from running errands. For years we have routinely deposited recyclables at the recycling facility here in Boquete. It used to be on the side street down from the Bistro. And then it relocated to across the street from La Posada.

What a surprise today. As we were leaving the recycling place, a nice lady came over to inform us that their facility is closing within a week. If we understood her correctly it will be relocating to somewhere close to the Boquete cemetery. If this is true, then it will be a lot less convenient to deposit our recyclables.

And another surprising piece of news by the lady talking with us is that the current recycling place is going to be converted into yet another restaurant. Wow, restaurant row is really taking hold of that part of the Calle Principal here in Boquete. She did not know the future name of this restaurant, who was the owner, and what cuisine would be served.

Penny    172

I was told last year that the location had become too expensive for a recycling (i.e. junk) yard. The best use for that property is commercial. The lady owner has been looking for a long time for an affordable location. If you collect your recyclables, a once a month trip to the cemetery isn't. all that bad.

Marcelyn    74

I wonder if we can hope the garbage pick-up service will also take recyclables in a combined effort to help the community.

Keith Woolford    299

Odds are good Marcelyn, that if you put a box out by the roadside with your recyclable cans and bottles exposed to view, they will disappear.

TwoSailors    86
19 hours ago, Penny said:

I was told last year that the location had become too expensive for a recycling (i.e. junk) yard. The best use for that property is commercial. The lady owner has been looking for a long time for an affordable location. If you collect your recyclables, a once a month trip to the cemetery isn't. all that bad.

Beats a one way trip to the cemetery! :(

Bud    118

In another run to the [current, soon to be relocated] recycling facility here in Boquete yesterday afternoon, we learned from the lady who manages the facility that it is relocating to a building that is located next door to the Boquete Bible Fellowship Church. We stopped by to see the current status of that building. For those who do not know where this site is, go down the side street next to Restaurante La Karreta (which is across the main street from Biblioteca de Boquete).

Here is a picture of the building. To the right of the bushes shown in this picture appears to be a yard space that is fenced in and likely to be used as the receiving area. The wall of the building on the left side of the picture is the BBF church building.

New-Recycling-Facility.thumb.jpg.75004fd132ce57e813ebbef981d7c8a4.jpg

• Upvote 1

JudyS    175

I went to this place and looked for any sign of the recycling center, but found nothing.  Down the road to the left is a vacant lot with a gate across it.  Could this be it?  No sign or activity, and the gate was locked.  Has anybody actually found the new location?

Marcelyn    74

The present owner of the recycle facility took us to the location as pictured and announced this would be where the new recycle center would be.

Are you thinking a location change?

I realize the spot across the street from La Posada was closed earlier this week, but the owner did not indicate the opening date for the new location.