Black Water Polluting the Streets of David

• Moderators

Black water polluting David streets

black-water-620x264.jpg

LOCKED sewers caused an overflow of black water in    David, Chiriqui, after heavy rains on Sunday, July 8.

There was also flooding in Colon and in Bethania in Panama City. A heavy rain warning has been issued for the rest of the week.

The black water, in David is  causing bad smells around the Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, park  and local hotels. shops and restaurants.

Jacinta Morales, a resident of the area, said that Third Street is flooded with strong smelling sewage and an unpleasant odor.

“It seems incredible to me that one of the main commercial arteries of David much  traveled by the

population and tourists, is affected  in this way, ” said Morales.

The regional director of the National Aqueduct and Sewer Institute (Idaan), Youbert De Puy, said that they are cleaning the sewage system, between Calle Primera and Calle Tercera and other areas of the city,

De Puy reported that Idaan is trying to eliminate excess grease, garbage and clothes that passers-by throw into sewers, which is why overflow occurs

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/black-water-polluting-david-streets

It is even worse downtown due to the eateries tossing all that cooking oil down the drains. Many places do not have P traps in the plumbing or if they did, they removed them because they clogged.  No Board of Health visits ever.  David's population is expanding faster than the infrastructure can handle.

1 hour ago, JimAndNena said:

It is even worse downtown due to the eateries tossing all that cooking oil down the drains. Many places do not have P traps in the plumbing or if they did, they removed them because they clogged.  No Board of Health visits ever.  David's population is expanding faster than the infrastructure can handle.

The David streets have had inadequate drainage for as long as I can remember. During heavy rains even nine or ten years ago they flooded badly, up to a foot or more. As you say, David is growing. I don't know why the government hasn't seen fit to improve its infrastructure. As inconvenient as it has been, I am glad Boquete is improving its sewer system downtown. There were areas that already were smelling bad.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bonnie said:

The David streets have had inadequate drainage for as long as I can remember. During heavy rains even nine or ten years ago they flooded badly, up to a foot or more. As you say, David is growing. I don't know why the government hasn't seen fit to improve its infrastructure. As inconvenient as it has been, I am glad Boquete is improving its sewer system downtown. There were areas that already were smelling bad.

Me too, Bonnie.  It is possible to build drainage for the rainy season downpours; we rarely saw flooded streets in the Canal Zone but one look at the California style aqueducts explained it.  The danger there was keeping the kids out when the rains started as runoff was sudden and violent.

But, the canal zone was built to plan, I doubt most of the cities had that advantage. Certainly Panama City, Colón, etc. never got built that way. Several projects during Martinelli's term were addressing connection of sewer/waste water lines for treatment in Panama City.  David suffers from not being in Panama province, the money never reaches here. I am still not clear what Boquete's water treatment project is going to provide. Most of what I have read is that the main goal is to clean up the Caldera for the tourist appearance.  Addressing the hundreds of septic systems throughout the district does not appear to be part of the plan?  I could be wrong; not the first time.

It's my understanding--and I too could be wrong--that downtown and at least part of El Alto has a sewer system just as it has a water system. It is the new water lines and sewer lines that have the streets torn up and are shaking livers loose. This project does not extend to other parts of the community that exist on septic tanks and localized water juntas. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, and I welcome it. I find it difficult to understand everything that goes on here.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bonnie said:

downtown and at least part of El Alto has a sewer system

There is a sewer system in parts of Bajo Boquete that flow into a tributary of the river.  Nothing in Alto that I'm aware of.

It's my understanding that the new treatment system will collect black water from the 'out' side of existing or new septic systems before sending it down to the plant which is being constructed down by the Wilson bridge.

3 hours ago, MarieElaine said:

Are there no restaurant health inspectors here in Panama?

Of course there are Ministry of Health inspectors, Marie. Some people just like to spout mythology.

Restaurants can't open or stay open without possessing up-to-date permits from MINSA.

Also, commercial establishments and residences are required to have a separate grease trap.

Edited by Keith Woolford

9 minutes ago, Keith Woolford said:

Of course there are Ministry of Health inspectors, Marie. Some people just like to spout mythology.

Restaurants can't open or stay open without possessing up-to-date permits from MINSA.

Also, commercial establishments and residences are required to have a separate grease trap.

I am assuming those grease traps are next to the mandatory cash registers which are next to the cash drawers that contain the actual cash? More mythology?

• Admin_01 changed the title to Black Water Polluting the Streets of David

Black water is defined as the discharge from a toilet according to many dictionaries.

Am I the only one seeing a correlation between this topic and the ZIKA problem with this other posting?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BD said:

Black water is defined as the discharge from a toilet according to many dictionaries.

Am I the only one seeing a correlation between this topic and the ZIKA problem with this other posting?

Yes. Gray water is dish or clothes washers, etc. RV campers are familiar with the difference but that is in the US. Gray water in many homes in Chiriquí gets dumped on the ground, it does not go into a septic system.

27 minutes ago, BlueBird said:

ZIKA and other health problems (malaria, hepatitis, etc.) could be caused by black water which is sewage and human waste from toilets.

Bet the medical staff in David is going to be busy taking care of patients.:( 

No, zika, malaria and dengue are mosquito borne viruses. They cannot be transmitted via sewage. The only caviat, is there are a couple of instances where it seems that zika may have been transmitted through sexual contact and so I will not rule out other modes of transmission until further research is done.

2 hours ago, Bonnie said:

I should think that black water would attract mosquitoes, no?

It depends. Mosquitoes are attracted to water in order to lay their eggs. They breed in standing water, black grey, clear, whatever, but not water that is being disturbed, such as on streets where cars are driving through. They lay their eggs at the edge of standing water. Moving water will scour away the larvae, so not a great breeding ground. I'm not an entomologist but I have been involved in Dengue research with some anecdotal exposure to Zika and Chikungunya via my colleagues and have some knowledge of the mosquitoes that carry the diseases.

9 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Mosquitos* breed in any standing water. It's been my personal experience that they're attracted to blood.

* alternative spelling

Actually, mosquitoes are partial to CO2 and skin odor.

Researchers discovered a receptor that mosquitoes use to detect both carbon dioxide and skin odor, and they identified compounds that interact with the receptor. The findings may help guide strategies to control mosquitoes and the diseases they transmit.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/how-mosquitoes-detect-people

The study found 2 compounds useful in combating mosquitoes, one to mask their receptors making humans stealthy, and one that attracts them into traps.

I did some searching for water improvements and found this 6 year old article. I don't know the current status or success.

Martinelli to earmark US$18mn for potable water system

By Haley Moncrief
Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Martinelli to earmark US$18mn for potable water system

Panama's President Ricardo Martinelli plans to earmark two credits worth US$18mn for improvements to state-run water utility Idaan's potable water system.

https://www.bnamericas.com/en/news/waterandwaste/martinelli-to-earmark-us18mn-for-potable-water-system

12 minutes ago, Keith Woolford said:

Grupo SUEZ from France is involved in the $74.5 million dollar, 5 year plan to improve the sewer system in David which is currently underway.

http://laestrella.com.pa/economia/grupo-suez-construira-alcantarillados-david/23974513

Is this a new plan or something connected to the project started in Panama City.  Maybe a packaged deal for better pricing? 

I quit reading the La Estrella when I learned on another website that it was a tabloid publication appealing to emotion, not intellect. This reads like real news.