9 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Upside down near El Frances. One person injured.

What is the reason so many of the car accidents end up with the vehicle upside down? Speed, small car, etc.?  This seems a very common problem (position) with many of the car accidents here.

• Moderators

Ministerial driver involved in 237th traffic death

crash-620x264.jpg

A COLLISION involving the chauffer of Panamas Deputy Minister of Security   that resulted in the death of a taxi driver on Saturday July 1 was the result of speeding according to police  reports.

The  incident took place in foggy conditions in  Unión Veragüense, in Chilibre in the north of Panama province

According to police details, the driver of the Mitsubishi government car was speeding towards the province of Colón at three in the morning. He was uninjured  but the taxi was demolished and the driver became the 237th  road  fatality  this year.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/ministerial-driver-involved-237th-traffic-death

• Moderators

Trapped truck driver in three hour ordeal

crash-truck-620x264.jpg

THE DRIVER of a  jack-knifed tractor trailer sat trapped in the truck’s cabin overhanging a bridge on Via Centenario for three hours until fellow workers arrived to rescue him  on Monday July 3.

The accident led to the closure of the highway  causing  massive rush-hour traffic jams, as four cranes were called in to remove  the vehicle.

According to the driver the accident at the bridge over the Pedro Miguel River occurred at approximately 3:00 a.m. when he lost control of the vehicle after hitting liquid on the road    and crashed into a concrete barrier

The cab  was suspended from the bridge and the driver  had to wait until 6:00 a.m. when his companions arrived from Aguadulce to rescue him. They passed a rope which he tied around his waist before climbing to safety, reports El Siglo.

“I’m calling on the authorities to pay more attention, this accident was not for speeding or smooth tires. There was a spill, possibly fuel on that stretch of  Centenario which is bad,” said the driver.

The truck was delivering recyclable materials from Cocle to Panama city

At least four cranes had to intervene to remove the articulated truck and Centenario road was totally closed from 7 a.m.

Inspectors of the Transit Authority (ATTT) and traffic police were called in to help guide traffic towards Panama City.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/trapped-truck-driver-three-hour-ordeal

• Moderators

OPINION: Vested interests bloody road toll

crash-1-620x264.jpg

APPROXIMATELY 128 traffic accidents occur daily in Panama. Last year, 440 people lost their lives by these accidents.
One of the proven causes leading to more fatalities and serious injury is the consumption of alcoholic beverages. The trend increases, as  in 2016 there were 3,008 cases of impaired  driving, while in 2017 there have been 7,995 cases.

The country is the second in per capita consumption of alcohol in Central America. This abuse is a catalyst for intra-family violence and, of course, traffic accidents. This reality cannot be controlled only By the Traffic Police, and threats of increased fines and administrative sanctions.

The best response to this problem is to promote responsible consumption, with the participation of the private sector, health services and society in general. We have shed too much blood, letting alcohol and interests linked to this business continue to control the agenda. It’s time to save lives

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/opinion-vested-interests-bloody-road-toll

• Admin_01 changed the title to Roadway Carnage, Traffic Accidents and Death Toll [An Ongoing Saga As Occurring]
  • Moderator_02 pinned this topic
  • Moderators

Backpacker traffic victim # 242

rANGE-ROVER-620x264.jpg

A YOUNG backpacker who was hit to the road  by the driverside  rearview mirror of a vehicle , was subsequently run over by other speeding vehicles which failed to stop, after the occupants of the first car had tried to assist him. The incident took place on Friday night on the Inter-American highway,

The incident took place on Friday night on the Inter-American highway, at the of Villa Karola entrance, in Penonomé, Coclé province. at 8:45 p.m.

The victim was the 242nd road fatality this year, pushing Panama to a record casualty rate arising from 120 traffic accidents each day.

Meanwhile, on Via Brasil in the capital city,  a taxi driver had  a narrow escape when the driver of a Range Rover lost control,  jumped the barrier in the center of the road.

The causes of most accidents are alcohol consumption, speeding, or cell phone use according to police reports.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/backpacker-traffic-victim-242

• Moderators

One American dead, 3 injured in highway tragedy

crash-1-620x264.jpg

A  14-YEAR-OLD American visitor touring with his family became Panamas  latest road victim on  Monday afternoon, July  10 after the driver lost  control of the vehicle and crashed into a ravine.

Three others including the driver, his wife and their 10-year-old daughter were injured in the incident which took place on the Inter-American highway, at the Paso Real in the district of La Mesa, in Veraguas.

Traffic authorities said  the family were on their way to Panama City

All  the injured are detained in the Luis “Chicho” hospital, in Fábrega, Veraguas, and are  said out of danger.

El Siglo reported  that relatives of the accident victims traveled to Panama  on Tuesday to identify the dead boy and transfer the body to the United States.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/one-dead-3-injured-d-us-family-highway-tragedy

• Moderators

Moderator comment: The flawed copy below is taken directly from their website. Apologies for the wording confusion.

Prosecutor killed, two critically injured

crash-2-620x264.jpg

and weeTHE DEPUTY  prosecutor of Pedasí, Olmedo Castro, died Sunday afternoon in a traffic accident in Coronosita sector of Tonosí, Los Santos province According to preliminary reports, he

According to preliminary reports, he apparently lost control and the vehicle  overturned. Two passengers were critically injured  and taken to Joaquín Sayas Hospital.

Units of the National Police and  the Public Ministry are investigating,

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/prosecutor-killed-two-injured-crash

• Moderators

Triple collision injures 22 in Panama City

accident-620x264.jpg

A TRIPLE COLLISION  on the Avenida Des Martires, near El Chorillo in Panama City on Wednesday  afternoon, July 19,  sent 22  people to medical centers.

The drivers of the three vehicles,   a pickup a busito and  a sedan were detained in hospital and were in stable condition  reports the Panama Fire Department.

Most of the  injured  had lacerations and bruises on different parts of the body. Among them was a group of students returning  home from school in the busito.

The accident  was attended by officials from the Panama Fire Department and the National Police.

It came only days after a multi-vehicle pile up in Las Cumbres injured 17. Three people have died in traffic accidents this week.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/triple-collision-injures-22-panama-city

• Moderators

2 dead 18 injured in traffic incidents

crash-3-620x264.jpg

PANAMA’S HIGHWAY  death toll this year is hovering around the  260 mark, while injuries total thousands.

The provinces of Chiriquí and added two more deaths to the list of fatalities on Monday, July 17.

A retired National Border Service captain (Senafront) lost control of his car and ended up in a river. The victim was identified as Joel Oscar Moreno Quintero, 53, who was driving a  pickup truck on the road from Puerto Armuelles to the Los Limones, in the Barú.district. His  death brings the total for Chiriquí this year to 51.

In Veraguas  Roberto Montezuma was killed and a young woman badly injured when they were hit by a hit and run driver on the inter-American highway, in San Pedro.

The 24-year-old woman was left at the accident site, but Montezuma’s body was dragged for 1,6 km to the  Cañazas exit.

The Public Ministry is investigating.

17-hurt-300x192.jpg

Meanwhile,  17 people were injured in the El Palmar sector of Los Cumbres on Monday afternoon when the driver of a speeding sedan lost control and crossed the road to hit a busito and a coaster.

Fire service personnel were called to evacuate passengers from the upended bus.

Ambulances took the injured to hospital for treatment, and one was detained with serious injuries.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/2-dead-18-injured-traffic-incidents

I was the week of July 18 to July 23 in David, Chiriqui for business purposes and visiting some projects in the province with a very tight schedule.   I have to admit that from all the drivers in Panama the driver from David and Chiriqui in general are..... wow the worst.  I warned my wife to drive defensively all time.   It was amazing to see that they seems to be always in a hurry.  I can accept that from any driver in Panama City because of the extremely heavy traffic but from a driver in David it is unacceptable.  

Looks like the main problem is speeding.   Most of the worst accident ocurred because the driver was at very high speed and couldnt control his vehicle causing a terrible accident.  The second cause of accidents seems to be distraction while driving.  Technology is making idiot drivers.  People cant leave their smartphones and wanted to be texting and chatting while driving making them to distract and cause accidents.  

• Upvote 2

• Moderators

15 injured in Bus-pickup crash

DEATH-CARTOOM-620x264.jpg

FIVE AMBULANCES were used to transport 15 injured to the Rafael Hernández Hospital in the city of David, Chiriqui on Friday July 28  following the third major incident involving buses in recent weeks.

crash-4.jpg

Two earlier incidents had emergency services attending to a total of 31 who needed hospital treatment.

Transport authorities have identified alcohol, speed and cell phone use as the major contributor to accidents on Panama’s roads which claimed over 25o lives  in the first six months of the year,

Speed was believed to be the cause of the latest collision between  a pickup and a bus  near a bridge over the Fonseca River on the Tolé route in San Lorenzo. Firemen had to use jaws-of-life equipment  to extract  one of the victims from  the twisted wreckage.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/15-injured-bus-pickup-crash

Whskyman here is a possible solution to your problem so you won't be annoyed:

Activity

All Activity

I sometimes use this approach when I don't need to know the background or previous postings on a certain topic. Works for me. Guess it is sort of like just reading the headlines in a newspaper. Good luck.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Whskyman said:

Can a new topic be started on this ...... so that we don't have to go to the end of page "??" to find the last post??  It is very annoying!!!

Pardon my bluntness, but it sounds like you are missing the point here. There is great value in having all of the "history" of a topic readily available in the same thread.

However, THERE IS GOOD NEWS. The designers of our software know from experience that users will revolt and walk away from websites that inflict pain on them. That is the reason that an "Activity Stream" was created. It appears that you are not familiar with the Activity Stream functionality here on CL, so let me help you.

First, please check out:

In overview, the Activity Stream comes with a default of the "Unread Content". That means that when you are logged in, you simply click on the Unread Content link, and you will see only the new content that you have not previously seen.

A customized Activity Stream can be set up so that you can tailor the displayed content to your particular needs/desires. In fact, each member can have an UNLIMITED number of Activity Streams. Give them a crisp title, and then you get to where you want to be in very short order. Only one of your Activity Streams can be set as the default.

Unless you have reconfigured the default Activity Stream for your profile, look in the upper right corner of the home page, just below the masthead photo, and you will see "Unread Content". That is your default Activity Stream. (On mobile devices with small display screens, look for a "display panel" looking icon in the extreme upper right, just to the left of a magnifying glass symbol [the search function], and the three horizontal lines indicating a hidden menu.)

Need more help? Just ask.

P.S., you also may want to check out:

I follow CL nearly daily and almost exclusively start by clicking "unread content".  I immediately see and can click on new posts that are fresh and new posts to old threads and can back them up to the entire thread if I don't remember or want to review the context. This seems to me to be a very sophisticated and efficient feature and one I really appreciate.  It also lets me know I have had too much time on my hands and have been on here too much when there is very little "unread content" to view.

• Thanks 1