There seems to be a serious campaign to reduce speeding except in Chiriqui where stats are terrible.

This is no exaggeration. Driving home yesterday, we passed 40 to 50 Transitos between Panama City and Santiago alone. Very few between Santiago and Guabala. None between the checkpoint and the Gualaca turnoff at Chiriqui.

I agree with your friend about the danger of small vehicles. The crash reports clearly show what happens to them.

Edited by Keith Woolford

2 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

There seems to be a serious campaign to reduce speeding except in Chiriqui where stats are terrible.

It is totally out of control. Even on our little street here in Brisas Boquetenas! Speed bumps baby, speed bumps!

Speed cameras at designated spots on the Boquete highway or bring back the darn motorcycle radar cops, at least!

Edited by TwoSailors
spelling

I also have wondered why there's no enforcement of speed limits or dangerous driving in Bajo Boquete.  Since I walk around the area a few times each day, I always see lots of craziness -- even cars passing Policia.  I've also had lots of driving to and from David and up and down the PAH, so have seen all the situations and even experienced getting a ticket.  But the lack of concern in so many areas is confounding.

3 hours ago, Dennis Philpot said:

I also have wondered why there's no enforcement of speed limits or dangerous driving in Bajo Boquete.  Since I walk around the area a few times each day, I always see lots of craziness -- even cars passing Policia.  I've also had lots of driving to and from David and up and down the PAH, so have seen all the situations and even experienced getting a ticket.  But the lack of concern in so many areas is confounding.

The money is better checking documents at the Caldera Checkpoint!

• Moderators
On 8/31/2018 at 8:10 AM, Moderator_02 said:

2nd Chiriqui bus passenger dies

bus-1-620x264.jpg
Post Views: 140

Two more deaths on Friday, August 31 brought the victims of traffic accidents in the province of Chiriquí,  to 48, while the national toll reached 237.

María Peña, 66, died in the Veraguas hospital from the injuries she received in the earlier bus accident in  Santiago David,  in which Maily Lizbeth Santos Lizondro, 17 was killed instantly and 16 other passengers were injured. One of the injured remains in critical condition.

https://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/2nd-chiriqui-bus-passenger-dies

• Moderators
On 8/31/2018 at 8:10 AM, Moderator_02 said:

23 minutes ago, Moderator_02 said:

Moderator comment: The below Tweet relates to this coaster bus accident. Here is a slightly edited machine translation of Elmer Quintero's Tweet:

Judge Rita Williams granted freedom to driver Roberto Luis Moreno Jiménez, who killed 2 and left 16 injured in Remedios. He must only check-in periodically and is prohibited from leaving the country. He was not prohibited from driving.

Regarding speeders; I watch out for racing “yellow hornets” aka taxi drivers and fast traveling pick-up drivers. I also am scared when I see senior citizen females trying to maneuver big SUV vehicles using their lane and half of my traffic space coming at me down the hill near my house. ?

1 hour ago, Keith Woolford said:

In front of Mall Chiriqui a few hours ago. Small vehicle destroyed. The injured have been hospitalized.

This stretch of roadway is a race track area and seems more crowded each time we venture to David.

Still question why PriceSmart does not have a traffic light for turning to their store? Getting out of the property and onto the main road is also a scare. 

I don’t understand the benefit of the flashing red lights near the hospital entrance. I’ve never seen anyone paying attention to these signals.

Marcelyn,

You wrote:

"Still question why PriceSmart does not have a traffic light for turning to their store?"

Because they cost about $15,000 for the study and equipment and many government bodies, local, provincial, or federal, do not include requirements for infrastructure improvements when approving commercial permits.  That amount of money is a drop in the bucket for Pricesmart but unfortunately greed has a higher priority than safety.

17 minutes ago, Siempre Soluciones said:

Because they cost about $15,000 for the study and equipment   That amount of money is a drop in the bucket for Pricesmart but unfortunately greed has a higher priority than safety.

Please provide reliable background references for these statements  ...or are they just opinions stated like facts?

Edited by Keith Woolford

2 hours ago, Marcelyn said:

Still question why PriceSmart does not have a traffic light for turning to their store? Getting out of the property and onto the main road is also a scare.

The developer or business operator doesn't have any jurisdiction over the highway.

There was a plan proposed at one time that would see left turns closed off and two retornos installed.

Edited by Keith Woolford

It's urban planning and access management 101 that you learn in engineering or business school.

?  Doesn't mean it applies in this situation. We're in Panama, not New York, and control of the Interamerican highway isn't in the hands of the private sector.

Once again, do you have some proof that Pricesmart could have paid $15,000 to have traffic lights installed but chose not to because they're greedy?

Edited by Keith Woolford

• Moderators

3 injured as drunk driver rams house

crash-620x264.png

THREE people were injured, one critically when an allegedly impaired sedan driver ended up inside a  house in Llano Grande de Las Lomas in the city of David, Chiriqui on Sunday, Sep. 2 Authorities are investigating.

https://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/2-injured-as-drunk-driver-rams-house

• Moderators

Two  dead  one critical in crash inferno

crash-1-620x264.png 

COCLE firefighters found two people  burned to death and a third critically injured with second and third degree burns  in a  blazing vehicle  on the Pan-America highway at dawn on Monday, September 3 near the River Chico in  Natá,The authorities have initiated investigations to determine the causes of  the accident, which raises the slaughter on  Panama highways this year to 141.

https://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/two-dead-one-critical-in-crash-inferno

• Moderators

Drunk drivers increasing threat on Panama roads

drunks-bikes-620x264.jpg 
Drunk motorcyclists caught after chase
Post Views: 142

Impaired driving is a growing threat on Panama highways leading to hundreds of deaths and thousands often of  not only the drunk behind the wheel and his passengers but other drivers and pedestrians, including hit- and- run cases. Chiriqui figures high on the accident fatality list with 48 so far this year.

Last weekend a police crackdown in the province netted 23 impaired drivers between Friday morning and Sunday.

Jovan Alexis Hernández González, 23, who has never had a driving license scored 48 percent on the breathalyzer after driving into a house in Las Lomas causing major damage and severely injuring his 19-year-old  passenger.

On the Pan-American highway in front of  Chiriqui, Mall the driver of a sedan lost control and brought down a power line. Rodrigo Espinoza was tested for alcohol and scored 41 percent.

In Volcán another driver overturned and scored 30 on the breathalyzer. Another was caught driving fall-down drunk on the Pan-American highway, in front of the San Diego Gallera in Bugaba.

Meanwhile, in Panama City, two drunk Colombians on a motorcycle tried to evade a police checkpoint. A patrol car gave chase and they were found to be without papers of any kind, including driving licenses.

https://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/drunk-drivers-increasing-threat-on-panama-roads