Traffic Chaos As Power Outage Hits Metro and Water Supply

• Moderators

Moderator comment: Where the heck should this news article be posted? The good news is that Boqueteños should be well-prepared for this situation since we deal with electrical outages all the time. And the only elevator that I am aware of in this area is in Biblioteca de Boquete. (Pardon my cynicism. O.o)

Traffic chaos as power outage shuts Metro

electricity.jpg

AN EXPLOSION  in an electrical substation in Penonome shut down Panama’s metro line, caused traffic chaos, trapped people in elevators and left homes and businesses without power for three and a half hours, on Tuesday, June 27.

The outage began at noon and the  Electric Transmission Company, S.A ,(Etesa) reported that 100% of the electrical load in the country had been restored. at 3:30 p.m. after affecting several provinces

Etesa said that the fault was registered in the substation El Coco in Penonomé. The provinces of Panama, West Panama and part of Chiriquí and Colón were without the power.

The blackout shut down  Panama Metro, and passengers were evacuated from all stations.

The fire department in San Miguelito rescued two people who were trapped in an elevator when the power went off. There were similar instances in other parts of the city

Traffic lights were out creating blocked intersections and traffic jams across the city.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/traffic-chaos-power-outage-shuts-metro

1 hour ago, Moderator_02 said:

Moderator comment: Where the heck should this news article be posted? The good news is that Boqueteños should be well-prepared for this situation since we deal with electrical outages all the time. And the only elevator that I am aware of in this area is in Biblioteca de Boquete. (Pardon my cynicism. O.o)

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/traffic-chaos-power-outage-shuts-metro

I don't know how other areas of the community fared, but late yesterday we had the heaviest, longest downpour in recent memory. I kept expecting to lose power but, miraculously, never did.

• Moderators

Panama power outage hits metro, water supply

trains.jpg 
Metro passengers faced second evacuation

PASSENGERS  on the Metro Subway line faced their second evacuation this week  as Panama was hit by another power outage on Saturday July 1.

The  blackout  was caused by a problem in the transmission network said the Electric Transmission Company (Etesa) which apologized for the “inconveniences” affecting much of the province of Panama.

Meanwhile, the water treatment plant of Chilibre reported that operations were shut down and advised users to take precautions.

Costa Rica was also hit with a power outage reports the daily La Nacion.

Panama’s previous outage  has forced a Social Security (CSS) hospital to suspend surgery due to damage suffered by equipment.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/panama-power-outage-hits-water-supply

• Moderator_02 changed the title to Traffic Chaos As Power Outage Hits Metro and Water Supply
On 6/28/2017 at 7:35 AM, Bonnie said:

I don't know how other areas of the community fared, but late yesterday we had the heaviest, longest downpour in recent memory. I kept expecting to lose power but, miraculously, never did.

I jinxed myself. My area of town had a power outage beginning about 8:00 a.m. today and lasting until sometime after 1:00. I had given up and taken a nap. Apparently there also was an outage in David, so the repair crews were spread thin. It was raining outside and dark inside, so the whole day was shot.

I read that earlier today, but the outage in Boquete apparently was very limited. I had breakfast downtown in a restaurant with power with a friend who lives in Alto Boquete who likewise had not suffered a loss of power. A friend in Jaramillo advised late today that they had power all day. Would this widespread Latin American outage have affected only a small area north of downtown Boquete?