Driver Asks Forgiveness for Death of Prominent Panamanian Competition Cyclist

• Moderators

Jailed driver asks forgiveness for cyclist death

Enrique-Edwin-Cherigo-Monica-Licona_LPRIMA20151118_0210_32-620x264.jpg 
The driver at the accident reconstruction event

THE DRIVER  of the car that killed prominent  Panamanian competition cyclist  Monica Licona in September 2015 has been sentenced to five years and three months in jail after pleading guilty to her wrongful death.

MONICA_1-300x203.jpg

Monica Licona

Edwin Jaén Chérigo, 27. asked the victim’s family for forgiveness  and told the court that he fled the scene of the accident  on Balboa Aenue near  the Miramar Intercontinental  Hotel because  he was nervous. He was  arrested  in a house in Veraguas a few days later.

“First of all, I apologize to the relatives of the young Monica Licona. As I said, it was a accident. I did not leave my house to commit the event, and today I am here to accept and pay for the error I made ”  he said

He added: “I did not know the girl. I know she would have  had a nice future and I can only tell the relatives  that I beg their forgiveness “

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/jailed-driver-asks-forgiveness-cyclist-death

• Moderator_02 changed the title to Driver Asks Forgiveness for Death of Prominent Panamanian Competition Cyclist

I know the father of Monica.  

I have talked him a couple of times since that terrible day.   We have talked about business and other stuff but never about this tragic accident.  I couldn't do it.   I knew he is not the same man since that day.   He is carrying a heavy burden in his heart.  She was his baby and it hurts too much when something like this happened to your son or daughter.   A father should never bury a son/daugther. 

11 hours ago, Roger B said:

I know the father of Monica.  

I have talked him a couple of times since that terrible day.   We have talked about business and other stuff but never about this tragic accident.  I couldn't do it.   I knew he is not the same man since that day.   He is carrying a heavy burden in his heart.  She was his baby and it hurts too much when something like this happened to your son or daughter.   A father should never bury a son/daugther. 

Thank you, Roger B., for this sensitive posting, Our sympathy to this family.